Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CD Player

Suspended
Aug 1, 2023
Well, it's a beta so that's not unexpected.

What is unexpected is that in finished versions of iOS we have somehow not seen integration of this hardware feature. People were rightly kvetching about the lack of Find My support when the Siri remote first came out, so it's just plain weird they didn't address it with an iOS update a couple years ago. It's a marketable feature so they've definitely left money on the table by not selling against it. I guess when you're as big as Apple you can do dumb things like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Similar weirdness to how the HomePod Mini had temperature and humidity sensors installed day 1, but only recently has there been software support exposing them to the user.
They probably wanted to sell AirTags for remotes then people were like “nah”. 😂

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
Yay. The most useful and anticipated feature in iOS 17 is still half baked and won't be worth using when Live Voicemail still replaces your message with a boilerplate message meaning you have to choose between the feature and actually having your own recording. FAIL.
From what I've read, if you have your own custom message, it still uses that.

"One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a custom voicemail message setup, then Live Voicemail still defaults to using that. Basically, what’s changed in iOS 17 beta 5 is that if you don’t have a custom greeting setup, Live Voicemail now plays the default greeting rather than the Live Voicemail-specific greeting used in prior betas."

https://9to5mac.com/2023/08/08/ios-...pt-reduces-confusion-but-its-still-confusing/

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
Yay. The most useful and anticipated feature in iOS 17 is still half baked and won't be worth using when Live Voicemail still replaces your message with a boilerplate message meaning you have to choose between the feature and actually having your own recording. FAIL.
You can make your own custom greeting from within the phone app, and still use live voicemail. That's how I have mine.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
Can’t wait to get this update somehow shoved onto my iPhone, then my Reminders don’t sync with Mac anymore, because “new version”, then I can decide whether to update my Mac to restore stock app compatibility and lose compatibility for half of my audio software until mid 2024 when the cycle repeats again.
So much innovation

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
lol this is a bit of an over-correction, but at least it's clear.
"When you have finished recording" is still potentially confusing, because it's not the caller who does the recording. ("How do I finish recording?") I think it's too complicated. "Leave a message after the beep" used to be sufficientlly clear.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Fun fact, I upgrade to Public Beta #2 just so I could find my silver siri (usb-c) remote. Sad that this is still not fixed and i'm stuck using my iphone to nagivate TvOS
First of all, it’s a beta.
Secondly, it more than likely will require a firmware update to the remote to function, and that firmware update won’t be out until the official launch of tvOS17 in September.
Similarly, most of the AirPods Pro functions exclusive to iOS 17 require a special AirPods firmware.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Looks like they fixed AirDrop and iClout Drive uploads. Previous attempting to send anything via AirDrop or uploading anything to iCloud Drive would result in a perpetual "waiting..." message.

Sadly they haven't fixed the bug where Safari copies search terms entered in the search bar and randomly pastes it back in the search bar after the tab is closed and the app is reopened. This bug has been around since iPadOS 16.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
What is a "Space"?

Been working this way for years. Makes multitasking massively easier. At work I keep all my messaging stuff (Slack, email) on one desktop. Calendar and to-do app stuff on another. And then I'll just put all the windows and apps related to a specific thing I'm working on all on one desktop. There are a bunch of ways to switch between spaces, but generally I just command-tab to the app I want to get to, and the Finder quickly switches to that space.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yeah, I can't believe Apple is shipping such unfinished stuff in their beta software :rolleyes:

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021

Been working this way for years. Makes multitasking massively easier. At work I keep all my messaging stuff (Slack, email) on one desktop. Calendar and to-do app stuff on another. And then I'll just put all the windows and apps related to a specific thing I'm working on all on one desktop. There are a bunch of ways to switch between spaces, but generally I just command-tab to the app I want to get to, and the Finder quickly switches to that space.
I wish multiple windows/spaces was available on the iPhone similar to some android implementations. Makes multitasking so much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.