Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We're likely less than a month away from the launch of iOS 17 and iPadOS 17, which means beta testing will soon be wrapping up. Apple is now providing weekly beta updates, seeding out the sixth beta today.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Blue-Green.jpg

As we approach the end of the beta testing period, updates are getting smaller with Apple focusing on crucial refinements and polish, but there are still a few changes in the latest beta worth highlighting.

Messages App

In the Messages app, you can now long press on the "+" button to bring up the photo picker rather than tapping and having to choose the Photos option from the list.

Phone App

In an earlier beta, Apple moved the red end call button in the Phone app from the bottom middle of the interface to the bottom right. Given that people are so used to tapping in the middle, this was not a popular change.

ios-17-beta-six-phone-app.jpg

In beta 6, Apple moved the end call button back to the middle, returning it to where it is located in iOS 16 and earlier.

Mood Tracking

Apple has further tweaked the animations that are used for the moods in the mood tracking feature. The rings around each mood now animate quicker around each shape, and there are more rings.

ios-17-beta-6-mood-tracking.jpg

Photos Splash Screen

There's a new splash screen when you first open the Photos app, and it lets you know about the new features.

ios-17-photos-splash-screen.jpg

Display & Brightness

In the Display & Brightness section of the Settings app, the wallpaper icon has been updated to an iOS 17 wallpaper.

ios-17-beta-6-settings.jpg

More iOS 17 Beta 6 Features

Know of a feature that we left out in this list? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Everything New in iOS 17 Beta 6

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Apple needs new software designers. This is ridiculous.

Example: the long-press on + to immediately go to the photo picker.

STUPID. Not intuitive at all, even in the slightest.

Most people send PHOTOS in their texts more than they use stickers, avatars, location data and other features.

So rather than make a PHOTO button front and center and easily accessible, they expect you to think of long-pressing a simple button in order to introduce the shortcut.

Who thinks that way? Nobody. No one. Not a single person would think, intuitively, to hold down + as a fast way to bring up photos.

Ridiculous. I’m so tired of having to use Google or YouTube to search how to perform simple functions that a 3-year old used to be able to figure out with iOS. It’s like nothing matters anymore.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Fantastic updates. Love the quick access to photo picker by holding +. I also hadn’t realized you can now reorder photos in Memories videos, and add additional photos - that’s a huge improvement compared to before. I used to find it maddening that you could remove photos but not add any.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

Most people send PHOTOS in their texts more than they use stickers, avatars, location data and other features.

So rather than make a PHOTO button front and center and easily accessible, they expect you to think of long-pressing a simple button in order to introduce the shortcut.

Who thinks that way? Nobody. No one. Not a single person would think, intuitively, to hold down + as a fast way to bring up photos.

Ridiculous. I’m so tired of having to use Google or YouTube to search how to perform simple functions that a 3-year old used to be able to figure out with iOS. It’s like nothing matters anymore.

Well let us know when you apply and get the job to make the design decisions for them.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

Personally, it doesn’t bother me, I use pretty often the long press across the system. But also, I don know if anyone can check this, but I guess if you set the Haptic Touch to fast, a new and faster setting on iOS 17, could make much easier this long press.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Personally, it doesn’t bother me, I use pretty often the long press across the system. But also, I don know if anyone can check this, but I guess if you set the Haptic Touch to fast, a new and faster setting on iOS 17, could make much easier this long press.
And, I’ve always thought “Why use this ‘baby’ Photos view when I’ve got actual Photos just a swipe away?” I’m far more apt to find a photo in Photos then use the share feature, which still sends it to Messages.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010

Having gestures be hidden like this to speed up things that are also accessible by simply tapping the + button first, is not taking anything away and if you see a problem with this being an option, don’t use it.

vifernandes

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2023
Public Beta 4 is downloading now, I switched to public betas. I really dont know what they are updating as the phone has been perfect since public beta 1, even before then I had a message issue, but that was sorted on developer beta 3 or before. Everything else has been working perfectly.
The trick is to clean install the OS, don't update from ios 16.

Reactions: Premium1

vifernandes

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2023

I don't understand your issue at all, just use it without that feature then, like it was before. Most people will not even know you can long press, and that's fine.

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia

Well thank god I guess that they also introduced an API for pop up how-to boxes explaining the features. You can see similar ones in iOS 16 already.

SkimPappa

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
I don’t know what you have had happen, my camera app has been working flawlessly.
I’ve also had issues where you choose a photo or take a photo but then messenger will not send it. It has happened repeatedly for me. *in last beta. Haven’t tested this one long enough yet.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I don't care where the "End Call" button places as long as I get a caller app features like in Android. Perhaps the only thing I miss in my iPhone when moved from Samsung. In fact End call button on the side wasn't a bad idea. When it is in the middle, it happened often that I ended calls by accident.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL

Bring back 3D Touch! For the win! 😉🤣🤣🤣 I actually liked it. I understand that the newer panels may have had a problem with it though. I think I’ll survive. But not sure about this human. 🤭🤷🏻‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.