Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I use Things, myself, but it does lack two things I need: the ability to share a list with my wife and the ability to create location-based reminders. So I end up having to relegate a few lists like groceries to Reminders and use Things for everything else.

And honestly it's pretty damn convenient to just tell Siri "add eggs to the Grocery list" and know it's on both of our phones without my having to open the app or type at all.
I use Things too…..this far.

But Apple’s apps becomes better and better, all the time.
Gonna checkup Notes and Reminders in 15 for sure
I am happy Apple do a lot more work on their apps today.

Other devs have to keep up to provide something we need before Apple have added it in their apps.

Just dropped BusyCal when they asked for a subscription on the app I bought earlier.
(correction: upgrade fee)
I am pleased with the Apple Calendar now. Found nothing lacked of what I needed in it today.
It syncs over all devices without buying separate apps to different platforms too.

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I live off of Notes and Reminders but I also use old hardware so I don't keep up with the latest versions. Some of these features are attractive though. The collaboration feature would be nice to use but nobody else in my family uses Notes. They all have iPhones and Macs but they don't use Notes and Reminders. Not really sure what they use so we just communicate with email.
The problem with collaborating with Notes is iCloud syncing. Sometimes it’s near instant. Sometimes it can take a half hour to sync. No way to force a sync. Too frustrating for users.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Notes and reminders need
* Markdown!
* Links to and from entries
* Integration into each other
* Mail & calendar integration is also a disaster

Why can't I integrate a reminder into a note?
Why can't I link from a calendar event to a note?
Why can't I generate a note or reminder from a mail? Including backlink of course?

Hell, there is so much potential that Apple does not care of.

PLEASE, Apple!
Because Teams need to show added value to remain employed. That Team includes the executive suite.

Reactions: manofthematch

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I use it quite a bit! Think of it not only as a reminders app, but also as a list-keeping app. Anything that you need to keep a list of, you can put in there.

For example, I use it for groceries, I can even put a picture of the exact item I want to buy so I can reference it when shopping. And you can check off things on the list as you put them in the cart, and uncheck them at home when you need to buy more. I've gotten to the point where I don't have to type much at all to update my grocery list because all the things I regularly buy are already in there!

I also put in things like movies I want to get around to watching, etc... all in different lists.

And of course it lives up to its name, reminding me to pill my cat, pay my bills, etc. It truly is a great app.
Having the lists shareable makes it even more awesome, my wife and I share our grocery list on reminders, so we can both edit and use it!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Just dropped BusyCal when they asked for a subscription on the app I bought earlier.

I use BusyCal too. It is NOT a subscription. They're charging for a new version but the old one continues to work if you bought it. HUGE difference between that and a software rental where it stops working the moment you stop paying.

Reactions: Lioness~

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I use BusyCal too. It is NOT a subscription. They're charging for a new version but the old one continues to work if you bought it. HUGE difference between that and a software rental where it stops working the moment you stop paying.
You're correct, I can sit with that version I have. I see no point in it when I found that when Apple Calendar works like a charm. Moving on is better. I won't change my mind.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
You're correct, I can sit with that version I have. I see no point in it when I found that when Apple Calendar works like a charm. Moving on is better. I won't change my mind.
Fair enough, just wanted to correct the record -- these guys are doing a good thing by selling separate versions instead of subscriptions :)

I use Calendar like 90% of the time, but BusyCal is the only one I've found that lets you view more than 6 weeks at a time in month view. It also lets you pack in way more days in week view, if you want. Super handy for longer term planning, if you've got a big screen to use it on.

The cool thing here is that you can switch back and forth between the two and everything stays synced up.

Reactions: Lioness~

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Fair enough, just wanted to correct the record -- these guys are doing a good thing by selling separate versions instead of subscriptions :)

I use Calendar like 90% of the time, but BusyCal is the only one I've found that lets you view more than 6 weeks at a time in month view. It also lets you pack in way more days in week view, if you want. Super handy for longer term planning, if you've got a big screen to use it on.

The cool thing here is that you can switch back and forth between the two and everything stays synced up.

You're correct, not subscription. I give them kudos for not going subscriptions in a time where a lot do, for sure.
I am looking at so many apps, subscription, not subscription, upgrades or not, right now.

It's not a bad calendar, I've had it for awhile. Not worth paying for an upgrade though.
Honestly Apple's Calendar feels cleaner to use now on macOS.
A bit too clean on iOS I think :D
So, I still prefer WeekCal I have on iOS for now ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ignatius345

markrath

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2011
I use it quite a bit! Think of it not only as a reminders app, but also as a list-keeping app. Anything that you need to keep a list of, you can put in there.
I’ve really wanted it to be a list app but it just doesn't compare to other list apps.

manofthematch

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2021
Concerning Tags in Notes and reminders under macOS: Does anyone know if they are in sync with Finder Tags?

Doug0915

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I've on occasion tried to use Reminders over the years. It's hard to justify once I purchased a copy of Things3 from culture code.

Not sure why Apple decided to go on it's own with Reminders. They could of easily bought Things3 and integrated it.

All that being said, Reminders is getting better and better. I'll continue to use Things3 but I keep an eye on Reminders just to see where Apple is headed and how they are progressing. They have yet to do anything that would cause me to switch.

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
i use reminders for lots of things I need reminding about - esp whilst driving (remind me when I get home to...)
Almost always use a date/time though as without that it becomes a bit invisible

I see theres still no notes reading on my watch. what a pity.. its where we store all sorts of things like meal plans, home project work lists, lists of our neighbours names etc...

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Reminders are still not customisable enough for me to use them over a third party app just yet, my main bugbear is that sometimes I want to snooze a reminder for 10 mins or so, just while I finish something off, but you can’t change the snooze options, you just just snooze for an hour at the shortest, I hope they change that one day…

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Why can I still not long press on a reminder and have an option to 'defer' it to next day or next week?

pheonix320

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2021
Has natural language in Reminders got worse in iOS 15? I used to be able to set a reminder “go for a run 12:00” and it would detect ”12:00pm” as a time. Now it doesnt recognise this as a time until I add “12:00pm”
really annoying

K9rescue

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2021
Any reason why Notes in the iPhone hasn’t also been enhanced? Is there a chance it will?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.