Everything's changed :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Apr 8, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I've STARTED to work my way through all the new reviews and videos. Not good.

I'm now seriously considering downgrading to the Sport. My head tells me I can't justify so much money on a very 1st generation product.

My heart wants an SS, though I still have no idea which band. Need to watch more videos.

But the Sports is very much back on the table.

2. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I watched them all and got a different impression. Only one guy said he was just getting the sport (that I noticed). BUT he did say he was getting one! I am sure it is because the average tech writer for a newspaper is not making a LOT of money.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's a gamble for all of us. Buy the cheaper one (Sport) with the intention of buying a 2nd gen or buy the more expensive one (Steel) and hope the 1st gen lasts long enough to maybe get a 3rd or 4th gen.

I for one am still getting the SS. Sapphire crystal is still important to me over plain old iPhone glass (ion X)

I don't want to tremble over my watch and be super extra careful. I'm going to wear it like my Omega.

4. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I'm very excited but not my plan has always been to purchase the cheaper model. I tend to do it with most Apple products right out of the gate - go baseline - and then once the hardware has matured to the point that I think it fully justifies the price I will go out and purchase the higher end models that I want. (for iPhone, it wasn't until the 6 that I got 128gb and iPad, not until the Mini 2)

5. sterl320 macrumors 6502

With experience with first generation products, I was always gauged to get the entry level model.

But honestly do what you want & what you can. You want that SS, get that SS. Even if you end up regretting the decision later. You'd be better off knowing that you got the experience you wanted rather than settling or compromising. And hey, you may just LOVE it. and if you don't, you can always return it.

6. AaronChicago macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. I planned on getting the SS with Milanese Loop, but after seeing it in videos - the smudgy SS has my OCD burning! I'll just stick to the aluminum.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That's the beauty of it. The act of polishing it and making it all shiny brings pleasure (at least to me).

The Sport may as well be a soda can on my wrist. dull and boring "Aloo-Min-Ee-um".

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

It may be a first gen product, but the SS looks a hell of a lot better than my pebble, and that does carry value for me personally. I still plan to get the SS. The reviews I like the most are from people who currently own smart watches. Those reviews are giving the apple watch very positive feedback.

9. vc2020 macrumors regular

I'm conflicted too now. I was set on an SS with black sports band and later get a second classic buckle but now I'm rethinking. Maybe just the sport and the only other bands that look good with it are the leather ones with magnets but I don't think those look good in general.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Since Sept the leather loop has not been an option for me, wasn't even on my radar until today when I read Nilay's review on The Verge. The reason I wanted the Stainless Steel model was Sapphire display and essentially more band options, but after watching Nilay's video review I kind of want the leather loop band and think it will pair just fine with the Space Gray Sport Watch.

I've been question myself on spending so much on a v1 product and all these reviews today just reaffirmed that, but once orders go live and depending if models sell out things might change.

11. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

You're right, after watching and reading reviews, I'm getting the space grey sport and possibly leather loop to switch it up. I'm definitely not dropping $800 on a SS for this first generation after what I've seen and read.

12. DJTJ macrumors regular

I may eat crow here, but why is everyone expecting a 2nd 3rd and 4th gen before gen 1 even comes out???

How pissed do you think people will be (rich or not) when they drop $20,000 on an edition, to have it replaced in 6 months?

I don't see it happening. I think this watch is going to have a long life span.

I'm getting an ss unless the sport appeals to me more when I see it in store

13. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

I think the 1 gen apple watch will last awhile, since I know Apple can push software update out to it

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I honestly don't think 2nd or 3rd gen will have such a significant feature to make me want to get it.

more sensors! - Meh, ok

Facetime camera! - Uh, no thanks. I'm not holding up my wrist that long just to facetime with someone.

Thinner, Faster, lighter! - Don't care. Faster? It doesn't do any processing.

15. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Good thing I'm viewing this from a different perspective: a fitness companion that happnes to tell time and weather. Since I'm not even going to pair it with my phone (4S here so I can't), I know the Sports one is the best deal right now.

Remember, we're beta testers in a way.

16. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I was the same way, but I changed my mind long before these reviews (although the reviews did reinforce my decision). Like others have stated, this being a first generation product, I don't want to go "all out" on it and I'm still a bit skeptical about how much I'll like it and use it, even though I do really want it.

Not to mention that the SS is really smudgy. It's not Apple's fault of course, but I just kinda forgot at first how much I didn't like the overall shiny look of SS. However, if there was an Aluminum model with sapphire glass, that would be the perfect model for me, and I'd be willing to pay more for it, maybe.

That being said, I'm just going to spend as little as possible, especially since this is the first time I've ever been a "Gen 1" early adopter, ever. For anything. If I really, really enjoy the Watch though, and the 2nd or 3rd generation has some awesome improvements, I'll be more than happy to spend more for a "fancier" version!

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Umm, the watch needs an iphone to keep time in sync and to get weather info.

18. yellolab macrumors member

Wish I could get the sport with black band. Not is space gray.

If I want black band.i need to upgrade the band, which puts it close to the price of Watch with standard black band.

My choice is either sport with better band, or Watch with rubber band.

Better watch or better band is the question for me.

19. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I don't think you can even activate it without first pairing it with an iPhone.

21. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

We shall see soon, I really hope not though.

22. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Everything's changed :(

Lol, exactly why I've been getting the Sport all along.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Hmm ok. I thought I read somewhere that the watch syncs with an atomic clock or something once in a while to be accurate.

24. skoobey macrumors newbie

Well, it's metal, even the cheapest one, and it's comparable to other watches out there in price(unless you want a Swatch or something cheap and cheerful like that).

25. Mr.C macrumors 601

Nothing has changed for me. I'm still getting the 42mm silver stainless steel model. I'm not convinced this will be an annually upgraded product and at most we may see a new model every 2-3 years. I also know it will be a lot better then my Pebble in terms of functionality irrespective of what that functionality is so I'm confident I will be happy with it.