EVO 4G owner would NEVER switch back to an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I just came across this thread on one of the best tech sites on the planet; XDA. The poster asked a simple question, would you sell your current Android device for a new iPhone4, and the replies were great, no smart asses, just solid reasons on why it would be a major downgrade.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=934772

I would like to hear solid replies why you already have, or plan to buy an iPhone4 over a new flagship Android device like the, HTC-Thunderbolt, EVO 4G or Nexus-S ?

2. utneon macrumors regular

i have a very simple reason no prefer iphone over any android despite the specs.

i want that itunes synch in my music as well as my events and albums since i own a mac and use a lot iPhoto and Aperture. Only iPhone gives that.

i wouldn't be satisfied if i had an android for phone and an ipod touch for music and games. it's too boring to have 2 devices in more than 1 pocket.

could it be more simpler?

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just read a couple of pages in that thread, it is interesting.

4. Crackbone macrumors regular

Did this months ago.

While I love much of what Android gives you, bottom line, to get comparable battery life out of most of those devices, you have to add an extended battery, which in turn, makes the phone the size of a brick.

That's it in a nutshell.

Many of the Android handsets battery life is god awful in comparison.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

who cares about EVO owners, this is a iPhone forum. I don't really care even if there's a lot of pro iPhone posts in that thread.

6. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah good points. I build myself custom gaming PC's no mac's here, and rarely use iTunes, except for the radio part of it.

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

This thread is just flame bait, but for the record, I just went back to iPhone from a Droid X. I was overjoyed with Android for the first couple of months, but over time I just got tired of the glitches, draining battery, and often reboots. And I love how the iPhone integrates with my Apple TV, iPad, and iMac. Things like Airplay have really added to iOS, IMO.

It seems like all of the Android makers are just eager to push out new phones with great specs without concentrating on the overall user experience. Time and time again, it's not the most powerful gadget that always does the best. Look at Nintendo DS vs Sony PSP. Apple might not always have the most features or latest hardware specs, but they know how to make their customers happy!

8. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I like android so for the most part, but I wouldn't buy an evo even though I like it because, A: the camera is worst then horrible, (haven't seen an android phone that takes better pics than an ip4) B: screen resolution is to low.

9. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

I would never even buy an EVO 4G in the first place, device is far too big for my liking.

10. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Blah blah....

I'm a Droid owner (got it launch day Nov. '09) and I would never go back to Android. So there.

11. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

IOS alone is enough for me to stick with iphone.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, the iPhone offers the complete integration with my macs and iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I love the HTC Android phones, but the iPhone meets all of my needs.

13. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I'd have gone with an android phone except for the remote app. I suppose I could just get an ipod touch to use for that, since I only ever need it at home, but...

14. karohan macrumors 6502

For me, being the OCD I am about things, I hate how a lot of the things you do on Android is so choppy. Even switching home screens, scrolling, and web browsing is so choppy feeling. Everything on the iPhone is smoother and that is something I value a lot.

15. Orion126 macrumors regular

There are fanboys on both sides...for Apple and for Android. What bugs me is when an Android fanboy makes fun of an Apple fanboy not realizing they themselves are fanboys. Oh well.

As for most of the responses in that thread some are valid but very little provide actual much information. Which app can be found in the Android market that can't be found in the Apple app store? I just want to see some examples.

It's mostly about ignorance on the part of Android "fanboys" on what the jailbreak community offers. Yes iOS not jailbroken is a closed OS but once the phone is jailbroken a world of possibilities, tweaks, and themes is opened.

16. aluren macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's pretty refreshing to read about their perspectives. But again, a jailbroken iphone can do most of the customization they talked about. You get to change whatever u want and have the smoothness that the iPhone offers.

I would not get an Android phone right now as the interface and scrolling is still not that smooth.

17. karohan macrumors 6502

Yeah and its funny because the smoothness of the interface isn't really correlated to the CPU power of the device. I think that the Droid X has a better CPU than the Droid Incredible, but the Droid Incredible is the still the smoothest I've seen from an Android device.

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

EVO 4G owner would NEVER switch back to an iPhone.... EVO 4G owner, owner as in one person.........why should anybody care?

fail

19. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I didn't know there were any other cell phones on the market besides the iPhone. :D

20. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Recently I had in the following order:

HTC Desire : Nokia E63 : iPhone 4

I love the HTC however the battery life was just down right poor - I was lucky to get 12-16 hours out of the thing the way I used it so I sold up and got the Nokia as a go between until I got the iPhone. The battery life on the iPhone, for my usage, out lasts the HTC Desire by far. That's why I moved. I must admit I do miss tickering with Android, but over all I am happier with my iPhone. I'd have no problems going back to Android... if at my next time to upgrade there is a model to suit me more than the current iPhone does. I'm no fan boy - I just buy whatever works for me.

21. icyfire macrumors 6502

I'm a Droid X owner and after having to deal with this phone's numerous bugs and sporadic freezes, I'm not going near Android with a 10 foot pole. Already have 2 iPhones on the way. Almost feel bad for Android, it had a good run on Verizon but now its days are over.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

That thread contains mostly vague ideas and unsubstantiated personal opinions. Much like here and any other forum.

Some posters listed specific preferences about Android. Oddly, they are the same reasons that I prefer the iPhone:

1. Customization. One poster compared it to the ability to customize cars. I've done that before and it resulted in various problems. I haven't even changed the background on my device. I guess I'm a form following function type of person.

2. Screen size. I already carry a wallet, keys and a phone almost everywhere I go. I don't want a bigger phone giving me pocket boobs.

3. Removable battery. To get the battery life of an iPhone you often have to carry around an extra battery for other devices. See comment in point #2.

4. CPU. Explain to me what I'll be doing with a faster CPU that I'm not already doing and I'll listen. (It's humorous that smooth scrolling was listed as a big plus for the iPhone).

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

First of all, I own a Samsung Vibrant (previous owned the original G1, mytouch) plus I own all 4 versions of the iphone along with blackberries and nokias.

So I think I can give a qualified response.

I do go on XDA from time to time. I think those guys/gals are great giving you tips how to hack your Android phones like crazy.

But the people over at XDA probably represent less than 2-3% of the total smart-phone population. They are enthusiasts just like we are on macrumors.

But for the masses, the iphone is still the de facto gold standard in terms of smartphones these days.

My 70 year mother knows how to use an iphone. My 1 year old niece knows how to slide to unlock an iphone. It's pretty easy to learn. That's what apple is all about with the iphone. Everyone can use it almost right out of the box.

With Android, it requires a lot of customization as the xda poster said. And many of the things Android lovers like about their phones requires rooting the phone.

I'd like to see the question reworded:

Would you switch your "stock Android"...cough cough Samsung Fascinate with Bing.com as the default search engine that you can't change to a "stock iPhone"?

I wonder how Android lovers would answer that question. Because cell phone carriers have loaded a lot of crapware on Android phones which are next to impossible to delete unless you root the phone.

I hack my Android phone too. It's fun to learn how to do that. But my mother, wife, sisters aren't interested in that. And that's why the masses still prefer iPhone when it comes to simplicity.

24. Darthdingo, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent post.

That has been my point about the iPhone lately, it is has become the "dumb" smartphone, designed for the masses, that don't want to tinker and customize their phone. People just want generic smart phone to turn on and go to their apps, and just work, which is cool, but to me that is boring, and gets old after a while. I see more Mom's and even Grandma's with the iPhone4 than I ever did back in the day of the iPhone1 and 3G, and now it seems the tech geek crowd has moved on to Android or WinMo7.

All my family members and friends who started off with iPhone back in 2007, and now in 2011, the real geeks that build their own computers, and read tech blogs all left iPhone, and have Android or WinMo7 phones now, the only family or friends that still buy the iPhone are older women that I know. Not one of the geek guys stuck with iPhone. But that is only going off only like 30 close family or friends.

But there really are only a few solid Android devices out there, those being the Nexus-S, EVO 4G, HTC G2, and Nexus-One. The Droid X blows, most of the Motorola Droids are sub par. HTC makes the top Android devices, and Samsung has great screen tech and hardware, but crappy updates.

I am opened minded to going back to an iPhone5, I just want a few changes first before I come back. I hope iOS5 will add "Widgets" and "Notifications" to the next iPhone, and would love a 4" screen, the 3.5" is way too small. If Apple does that to the iPhone-next, I will come back. But if there is an HTC EVO-2 this Summer, will be a tough fight to see who is top dog to me, the iPhone5 or EVO-2 ?