Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I wonder about established companies that use KS or other campaigns to launch new products, more so when they're just variants of existing ones, and not new or novel concepts that might entail more risk.

Anyway, for anyone who was interested in the "carbon fiber" look version and doesn't want to wait for delivery, Evutec has dropped the price of their Karbon SI series to $40, same as the SolidSuit. Very similar and a worthy alternative.

I actually used the thin version of the case you referenced. The carbon fiber has a nice smooth grippy matte film over it. It feels excellent. I'm going to have to look into this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: rcjr

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
The email that Evolutive Labs sent out is essentially filled with the answers I was seeking all along. Indeed, while it is somewhat of a relief to finally have such concrete answers, I can understand for those where it all comes just a bit too late. Since I'm still one of the lingering people still in a contract with my carrier, I am not upgrading my iPhone until at least fall of 2017, so I have elected to wait for my rewards and sent along an email of my own to inquire about my order status, if possible.

Ah, the Evutec. I have the Karbon SI in the Osprey hue, and it too has not left my phone since I got it. The feel and fit is excellent and the quality of the case is very high with seamless construction. It's really cool that they lowered the price a bit to be more competitive with other brands. I'm actually tempted to get the black and yellow version but...I should probably hold off ;) I really like Evutec. I only wish they would have gone through with production of the Texture series for the 6s Plus but the Karbon SI is a worthy line nonetheless.

@THE JUICEMAN - from my own experience, the buttons are decent and it may differ from case to case. I've had two; the first I returned (mainly because of the price) but then received another as a gift. On both of mine, I took it upon myself to manually press in the power button on each case, as it was a bit stiffer than I cared for. I literally kept pressing it in without it being on the phone for about 10-15 mins and it did help. Months later, it's only gotten better. The volume up/down buttons had always been tactile on both of the cases I had and it was only the power button that was a little more difficult. Other than that, I really can't say enough good things about it.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
The email that Evolutive Labs sent out is essentially filled with the answers I was seeking all along. Indeed, while it is somewhat of a relief to finally have such concrete answers, I can understand for those where it all comes just a bit too late. Since I'm still one of the lingering people still in a contract with my carrier, I am not upgrading my iPhone until at least fall of 2017, so I have elected to wait for my rewards and sent along an email of my own to inquire about my order status, if possible.

Ah, the Evutec. I have the Karbon SI in the Osprey hue, and it too has not left my phone since I got it. The feel and fit is excellent and the quality of the case is very high with seamless construction. It's really cool that they lowered the price a bit to be more competitive with other brands. I'm actually tempted to get the black and yellow version but...I should probably hold off ;) I really like Evutec. I only wish they would have gone through with production of the Texture series for the 6s Plus but the Karbon SI is a worthy line nonetheless.

@THE JUICEMAN - from my own experience, the buttons are decent and it may differ from case to case. I've had two; the first I returned (mainly because of the price) but then received another as a gift. On both of mine, I took it upon myself to manually press in the power button on each case, as it was a bit stiffer than I cared for. I literally kept pressing it in without it being on the phone for about 10-15 mins and it did help. Months later, it's only gotten better. The volume up/down buttons had always been tactile on both of the cases I had and it was only the power button that was a little more difficult. Other than that, I really can't say enough good things about it.

Very helpful. Thanks!

PiersJun

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2016
Received my honey comb today ;)
similar to ITG level pro which is grippy along the side.
Works great with edge to edge screen protector.
feels good in the hand too :D

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
I know this thread has not been updated in some time but I figured I would issue an update of my own. I have finally received my shipment confirmation as of early this morning. No tracking information has been included, but I believe that portion happens a little later. I have confirmed that this is the first of two batches I will receive, with this batch being the initial rewards I chose back in May. Evolutive Labs will also be sending me a second batch of SolidSuits at a later, undetermined time. This was part of their offering(s) on account of all the delays and quality issues that have been plaguing their backers. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on how the case holds up as a whole, regardless of having another set to look forward to.

Though the news comes as a good thing to me, I am also finding myself underwhelmed with everything else that has gone on in order to reach this point. Still, I will be interested in seeing how my experience fares alongside those of others.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I know this thread has not been updated in some time but I figured I would issue an update of my own. I have finally received my shipment confirmation as of early this morning. No tracking information has been included, but I believe that portion happens a little later. I have confirmed that this is the first of two batches I will receive, with this batch being the initial rewards I chose back in May. Evolutive Labs will also be sending me a second batch of SolidSuits at a later, undetermined time. This was part of their offering(s) on account of all the delays and quality issues that have been plaguing their backers. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on how the case holds up as a whole, regardless of having another set to look forward to.

Though the news comes as a good thing to me, I am also finding myself underwhelmed with everything else that has gone on in order to reach this point. Still, I will be interested in seeing how my experience fares alongside those of others.

Thanks for the update. Look forward to your thoughts once you receive it.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I have had the Playproof for my 6S Plus for a little while and really liked it. I liked the slim profile, the drop protection, and didn't find the grip particularly slippery. I did order the Solidsuit (navy leather), since I suffer from a severe case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), and a few reviewers touted the SS as one of the best cases ever. Finally got the SS yesterday, and I seem to prefer the PP. Going contrary to what others have said, I find the SS to be a bit slippery, and not as nice to hold as the PP. It also seems that the lip on the PP might be a little larger. Finally, the buttons on the SS seem a little harder to press than the PP buttons, although this might change with continued use. Since both cases have the same drop rating, I'm sticking with the PP.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I have had the Playproof for my 6S Plus for a little while and really liked it. I liked the slim profile, the drop protection, and didn't find the grip particularly slippery. I did order the Solidsuit (navy leather), since I suffer from a severe case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), and a few reviewers touted the SS as one of the best cases ever. Finally got the SS yesterday, and I seem to prefer the PP. Going contrary to what others have said, I find the SS to be a bit slippery, and not as nice to hold as the PP. It also seems that the lip on the PP might be a little larger. Finally, the buttons on the SS seem a little harder to press than the PP buttons, although this might change with continued use. Since both cases have the same drop rating, I'm sticking with the PP.

What? Navy Leather SolidSuit is slipperier than the PlayProof? Wow. They must be trying out some new version of the leather, or perhaps the navy leather is less grippy than the black? I'm seriously extremely surprised. My black leather SolidSuit is quite grippy--far, far more than any of the three PlayProof cases that I have. I like the PlayProof a lot, but it is definitely slippery. Now, the Carbon Fiber SolidSuit is quite slippery--no question about that--but not the leather finish...at least in black...at least back when I reviewed it. Very strange!

Kristin

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
What? Navy Leather SolidSuit is slipperier than the PlayProof? Wow. They must be trying out some new version of the leather, or perhaps the navy leather is less grippy than the black? I'm seriously extremely surprised. My black leather SolidSuit is quite grippy--far, far more than any of the three PlayProof cases that I have. I like the PlayProof a lot, but it is definitely slippery. Now, the Carbon Fiber SolidSuit is quite slippery--no question about that--but not the leather finish...at least in black...at least back when I reviewed it. Very strange!

Kristin

I was surprised as well, considering the criticism I read about the Playproof grip and the praise for the Solidsuit. Look, it may be just me. During the last day, I did do quite a bit of A/B testing about the grip. Once I decided I wasn't delusional, I decided to post my review. As I said I don't find the PP grip particularly slippery, but do find my SS a bit slippery.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I was surprised as well, considering the criticism I read about the Playproof grip and the praise for the Solidsuit. Look, it may be just me. During the last day, I did do quite a bit of A/B testing about the grip. Once I decided I wasn't delusional, I decided to post my review. As I said I don't find the PP grip particularly slippery, but do find my SS a bit slippery.
Well, it sounds to me like they have some variation in their product line. Perhaps they've been tweaking. Interesting!

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
I received my SolidSuit in the mail yesterday. My overall initial impressions are positive ones. In my opinion and in terms of comparison to the PlayProof line, I believe that the SolidSuit is indeed a mirror image, only with a largely improved grip. I own both an all black as well as a printed PlayProof and my black SolidSuit does offer a substantially better grip. The case is smooth but the feeling is also somewhat tackier, which I feel is what offers the enhanced hold. Port openings and button feel are identical to my experience with the PlayProof as well and the lip of the case also appears to be the same.

The only thing that concerns me from the onset is how difficult it is to initially install the case. This was both a good and (mostly) not so good thing that I found between the PlayProof and now the SolidSuit. The fit of each is so tight (good once on the phone) that it will almost always guarantee that the case will experience stress during the installation process, resulting in near inevitable separating of the case materials, which I find to be...not good. I have had one PlayProof separate because of this and, unfortunately, my SolidSuit has also already gone through this repeated flaw. I am currently sporting the case because I do want to see how it holds up where the finish is concerned, as this has been another widely reported defect from users and acknowledged by Evolutive Labs themselves. Sometime in the future, they will also be sending me another one due to all of the chaos that occurred following the end of their KickStarter campaign, so I suppose I will be able to determine at that point if the newer case is any different from my current one or not.

One additional note in regards to case installation. The packaging does have instructions and there is also a video on Evolutive Labs' official YouTube page. The directions are different depending on which set are followed but only in the regard that they suggest starting with either the left or right side of your phone, button side first. It seems to come down to a matter of preference, which would make sense. Anyway, in the installation video, it opens with the "incorrect" method and in it, the case being used clearly shows how the materials have separated in each corner of the case. Or...at least it did. When I view the video on my phone from my YouTube account, I can see this, as well as a comment I made about it. When I view the video from a desktop or laptop as a guest, the video appears to have been edited so that the case does not depict the separation and my comment is no longer present. WEIRD!

Last edited:
Reactions: PiersJun

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
A bit more about the comparison I found about the grip between the Playproof and the Solidsuit. If you lay each case on a table on its back, no doubt the SS has way more grip than the PP. You can spin the PP around, while you can't do that with the SS. My problem is when I held each case with one hand with some mild pressure cupping the case on each side. I found the SS would start to slip a bit, while the PP wouldn't. Like I said above, maybe it's just me.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
OK, so I've been using the Navy Blue Solidsuit case on my 6s Plus for over a month and to be honest, I really like it. I'm not much of a case guy, but with kids, I need something. I've used the Apple Leather case on my 6 plus in the past and on this phone I've used a Spigen Neo something (forget what it's called).

Some things I like about the case: the feel. I don't find it slippery like most people say. It's not the grippiest case and I appreciate that b/c with most cases that have that overly grippy feeling, I have the hardest time taking the phone out of my pockets (jeans, chinos, basketball shorts). I like how the case has a full lip, even on the bottom. Button feel is good and you still get that "click". Overall great case.

Somethings I don't like: around the volume rockers and lightning port, the case is very soft/flimsy. minor dislike. Also, I've taken off the case a couple of times and there's an area that separating (bottom right corner). Not a big deal when the case is on, but it shows when taking the case off.

lastly, I don't know how many people are aware, but they do offer a student discount. =)

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I have their blue Rhino Shied bumper on the way. Anyone have any experience with it?

Sure! I really like the Rhinoshield bumper--my only issue with it is its somewhat slippery feel. It really makes your iPhone look slim and beautiful. Here's the review of it I did recently:

Thanks!

Kristin

Reactions: I_am_a_loser

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
I also have been using the Blue Solid Suit for about a month now....ZERO complaints. The grip is stunning and the quality is top notch. Sure, the entire Kickstarter Campaign felt a bit...messy, but I've never had a Kickstarter Campaign deliver on time and without hiccups. Hopefully they learned from the process. Stunning case though, regardless.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Have been using the Solidsuit for awhile. Yes, I still find it a little slippery, but is remarkably thin and light considering the level of protection. About a week ago, I saw a mark near the camera cut out. Thought it odd, since I've never dropped or banged the case. I have taken off and put on the case about 4 or 5 times (trying out other case options). Today I noticed the mark was an actual split in the material. I just sent Evolutive Labs an email about the problem.

image.jpeg

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Make sure to send them pictures of the damage and you might get a new one around mid september ;)

Interestingly, I decided to try another play proof so I got one in black with the geometric designs. Kind of looks like tire prints. Adds nice grip to the case. Also have the lifetime 25% off code, so it was a good deal

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Make sure to send them pictures of the damage and you might get a new one around mid september ;)

Interestingly, I decided to try another play proof so I got one in black with the geometric designs. Kind of looks like tire prints. Adds nice grip to the case. Also have the lifetime 25% off code, so it was a good deal
I'm still a big fan of my PlayProof. Also, I don't find it as slippery as others make it out to be.

rcjr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2015
@kschles - bummer that has happened to your case. Sometimes even semi-frequent removal and installations can stress the materials of the SolidSuits. I do hope you get taken care of quickly.

The good news is that Evolutive Labs is refining the process they use to adhere their cases and they are (hopefully) on their way for a fall release. I actually ended up sending them photos of my case just the other day, as it separated on day 1 of my install, and the power button started to experience peeling, which was odd. Thankfully, they will be sending out a prototype version of the updated case, as it would not make much sense to send out another based on the current generation. It is to my understanding that they have just about got the science down that will make putting the case on & taking it off much easier as well as making the problem where they crack/split "near impossible." We shall soon see. I should be receiving the prototype sometime this week. Also, if you opted so, you do have the ability to receive the aforementioned updated cases once they are available. The only thing that you would be responsible for paying for is the shipping.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Evolutive labs got back to me to ask some questions and clarification about how this happened. Thanks for the information about the prototype. When I initially sent them an email, I wondered if I even wanted a replacement, if offered. If it comes down to a replacement, I'll bring up the prototype if need be. I also wondered why the Solidsuit was available through their website, but not Amazon. Before ordering, I went through this thread and saw some of the bumps others had experienced in ordering. Thought that everything had been resolved, but it seems their Solidsuit release may have been a bit premature.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Got another email from Evolutive Labs letting me know that they would ship me a replacement. They said my order might not ship until the end of this month or the beginning of Sept, but they would do their best to speed things up. Based on rcjr's post, I replied asking for assurances that my replacement wouldn't have the same quality issues. I mentioned this thread and the prototype case in my email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.