Exchange email for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manchoi44, Jul 23, 2008.

1. manchoi44 macrumors member

I just bought an iPhone 3G :)

The main reason I bought it was b/c of the Exchange sync functionality it has and now I'm looking for a cheap way to get Exchange for use with my email address...

Looking for suggestions from anyone who is using a hosted Exchange solution please

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

3. manchoi44 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply! I've been looking into that as well... It was the front-runner until I noticed that you cannot send/receive emails using your own URL with MobileMe. All the other features from MobileMe sound awesome (e.g. - photo albums, ftp-esque features), but because I'm going to be using the emails for my business, I need to have my URL in the email addresses (for fear of not being taken seriously)

4. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Is there no way you can use your own domain name with mobileme? can you not ask them to host one for you for an extra fee? infact im going to call and ask them...

6. jungbo00 macrumors newbie

I use Hostway for my company's Exchange email. So far, so good. It may cost more than mobileme, but my company can use global address list and share calendars. And we can use our domain name too.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You cannot use your own email with another service. If you sign up for an Exchange style hosting company you will have to use their email address provided not your own.

8. manchoi44 thread starter macrumors member

I don't believe that is the case... I've called different company's sales lines and they said I could use my own domain name...

Can anyone else confirm that I'll be able to use my own domain with a hosted exchange service?

9. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

10. fumducket macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that their hosted Exchange plan requires a minimum of 5 accounts at $15 each, so you're looking at a $75/month recurring fee to use their service. Probably a little steep for most when MobileMe is $99 a year.

11. manchoi44 thread starter macrumors member

LOL

Actually, I ended up clicking on that link... it provided all the details I was looking for except for the price. but.... a MINIMUM of 5 mailboxes at $15 a piece?!

I think one mailbox @ $15 is pretty high. Hell, I'd even be willing to pay for the service at $15/mailbox if it wasn't as apparent that they were trying to rip me off for mailboxes that I won't use!

Do all Exchange hosting companies have a "minimum number" of emails/contracts?

12. manchoi44 thread starter macrumors member

But that $99 is for individuals, isn't it? At this point, I'm conceding the fact that MobileMe costs less... I just really need the calendar and contact sharing that Exchange provides my employees. and doesn't MobileMe go down quite often?

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

your orginal Post is confusing, are you're talking about using your own email or hosting your own domain?

14. sibruk macrumors 6502a

You may be interested in having a look at this free service:

http://live.mail2web.com/

Don't know much about it, including whether you can use your own email address or not, so you'll have to dig around a bit.

15. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

This MIGHT work for you:

If you OWN your own domain and have email (either through your registrar or through cPanel or equivelant) then set up your email to forward to another address (this being your MobileMe address). I don't think creating a forwarder in cPanel works.

In the iPhone mail settings, set up your MobileMe account per usual, but in the OUTGOING settings, change the smtp server to smtp.DOMAIN.com with your personalized email address/password as the username/password.

Essentially this allows you to receive mail sent to your email address and pushed through MobileMe to your phone. Then it sends email from your domain as your email address.

I haven't tried this, but I've heard from several people that it works.

16. GardnerMS macrumors newbie

Mail2web.com and Nueva Sync/Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts

My wife was using this until I could get her switched over to Google Calendars and Gmail (using Nueva Sync for Calendar and Contacts.. i believe task support would be forthcoming .. wonder if you could use this with google apps being hosted under your own domain)

Just spitballing here..

mG

17. philgilder macrumors 68000

sorry for the slow response

anyway, you can set a custom email for mobileme
    what you do is set your current email to forward all emails to mobileme
    then, set the mobileme account to use the outgoing server of your normal email address. this means all sent messages will appear to have come from your email address and not the @me.com one
    follow this, it explains it better
    http://blog.daveberube.com/post/how-to-get-push-gmail-on-your-iphone-20-with-mobileme
    just replace all the gmail stuff with your existing account

this is how i have gmail push on my iphone, all appearing to come and go from my gmail account!

18. manchoi44 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that SB...

to clear things up: I just want a hosted Exchange service, using my company's domain name. I understand the email would all reside on the hosting company's server... Better their servers than one sitting in my office! ;)

19. mrtrilby macrumors member

Hosted Exchange is easy and cheap.

I've used http://www.myhostedsolution.com/exchange/plans/ for about a year now with no hassles at all. Unlimited capacity mailbox for US$9.95 a month.

edited: It works just fine with my iPod Touch too.

20. manchoi44 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I've called/visited the site of all the Exchange hosting companies and decided upon Hostway. Their salesperson was able to provide me with a free month trial to try everything out. I'll post again as the trial goes on to report back on the service!

21. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Not sure what Exchange servers run for, but wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just either run an email server yourself (exchange or just some Unix box or whatever), or use like Gmail, which would let you do IMAP on the iPhone for free?

Personally I'd hate relying on some hosted company like that. Just seems like a lot of money and hassle.

22. sibruk macrumors 6502a

It was about Push, I think.

I'm just waiting for the day Apple finally gets their OWN house in order and focuses on making their own Server OS work with the iPhone the way it should. Call me crazy... :rolleyes:

23. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Hmm, that's a good, and (in retrospect) obvious point! You'd think Apple would have products that work with it perfectly, though they should also be agnostic about it.

So I guess the IMAP support is "only" every 15 minutes or so? I just love that we've now gone from "what's email?" 15 years ago to 15 minutes being an infinitely long time to wait for an email message to show up in your pocket :D