Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Visto Mobile for the iPhone will be available in "late Q3 2007". A free 60-day trial will be offered when its released. There is no other word on pricing.

Prediction: Visto's software will not be a purchasable solution. It will be a service. Note they are offering a sixty-day trail, but it doesn't say trial version. Yet another monthly fee for your iPhone service.

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
exchange server support is good incentive for the business community to switch, heres hoping it works properly

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Frankly, I would assume anyone with one of these must not really have any business existence at all. (emphasis added)

That is a silly statement in its sweepingness. Certainly there are many people for whom the iPhone, in its current form, will not work. But there is not a single, uniform profile for business people, just as there isn't for consumers.

I suspect Apple executives are highly aware of these different groups, their usage patterns, which features are "must haves", and which features are "nice to have". And they probably have estimates of how many additional iPhones they will sell by adding each new feature, and these probably form the basis of their attack plan for iPhone updates.

The conspiracy theory question is: Are either Apple or AT&T purposely leaving out certain features to avoid conflict with certain business segments?

For example, AT&T sells the BlackBerry Curve (using the EDGE network, incidently). Maybe they don't want the iPhone to collide with the BB market. Or maybe Apple wants the iPhone to be seen as "hip", so they don't want it to be seen as a business device. As an example in a different business, Toyota fights very hard to promote the idea that the Toyota Prius doesn't need to be plugged in (in fact, it cannot be plugged in), so Toyota has been hesitant to develop and promote a plug-in hybrid.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I want my iPhone locked in exchange for $10 more per month than the absolute minimum I could pay if I was willing to forgo 30% of the imbedded features.

Rocketman

RDF victim and happy.

"The conspiracy theory question is: Are either Apple or AT&T purposely leaving out certain features to avoid conflict with certain business segments?"

Apple is the historical champion of crippleware with "blessed" value-added features.

rob@robburns.co

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Tell me if I'm understanding this correctly...

1) Apple's iPhone Exchange Support (IMAP) = unencrypted, pull

No encrypted via SSL/TLS. Yes pull (at very data-efficient 1 min intervals; i.e., you might have to wait as much as 60 seconds to find out about a received email)

2) Visto's iPhone Exchange Support = encrypted, pull

Presumably

3) Blackberry Exchange Support = encrypted, push

Yes

Is that right?

As far as we know now. The other issue is that Exchange clients use three different channels that are largely equivalent (but IT Admins often fear two of them):

1) ActiveSync
2) Outlook Web Access (OWA) over HTTPS
3) IMAP

IT admins often think that other than the first one, the others may be subject to security risks because Microsoft did not create them. That may sound strange to sane people, but many IT managers actually think this way. If your companies business ITs think this way than they're may be no support for your Exchange server available through anything other than ActiveSync. If that's the case you won't be accessing Exchange from your iPhone even though methods to do so already exist.

Random Ping

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Visto Mobile for the iPhone will be available in "late Q3 2007".

Given that Exchange support for the iPhone is just a software update away, this may be a risky investment for Visto. Overnight Apple, should it so choose, could wipe out the need for this service.

One of the primary advantages about the iPhone are that (1) it is all about the software, (2) Apple controls the software, and (3) the software is trivial to update. This means that the iPhone someone owns today may be a very different device 6-12 months from now.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Given that Exchange support for the iPhone is just a software update away, this may be a risky investment for Visto. Overnight Apple, should it so choose, could wipe out the need for this service.

One of the primary advantages about the iPhone are that (1) it is all about the software, (2) Apple controls the software, and (3) the software is trivial to update. This means that the iPhone someone owns today may be a very different device 6-12 months from now.

Considering that neither Symbian, Microsoft or Palm have done what you suggested to make Visto's solutions for their respective platforms worthless, I somehow don't think Apple's going to be the one to do it first.

We shouldn't get carried away with this "its all about the software" idea; Symbian, Palm OS and Windows Mobile are all platforms with just as much capacity to have updates added to the underlying software, or at least bundled apps, etc. (not even counting that they do offer full third party app development now, while Apple does not).

sato123

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Visto for the iPhone could be web based only

Hi,

I don't think Visto will install anything on the iPhone.
Whether it's Visto or any of the other push email provider(except RIM), there is no need to install anything on the iPhone.
There are 2 main ways to offer mobile mail one for personal use and one labeled for corporate use.

The personal one provides a small app on your desktop that uses the MAPI protocol to communicate with Exchange on your behalf. It reads your email, and communicate with an external server, sending him your email; who go and push it out to your mobile phone using a proprietary protocol. In the case of the iPhone you can just use safari to connect to that server and have a "web based/ajax enabled" email interface, and as long as safari connection is open to that server, new email can be pushed to you and it will be protected using ssl.

The corporate variant don't require any installation on your PC, it's usually a server in your intranet that connects directly with your exchange, and get the emails on your behalf and send them again to an external server using a propriatary protocol, to which you connect either using an application on your phone or using a web browser for the iPhone.

Visto announcement, won't necessarily mean that an application will be installed on the iphone.

sato

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.