Explain why you are a Sport, SS, or Edition

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Blakjack, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I'm a 29 year old Cop 4 out of 7 days a week. The three days I'm off, I'm either in the gym or laying on the couch watching replays of my favorite shows via AppleTV.

Every once in a while, I'll take my GF out but she doesn't force me to dress up, so an expensive shiny watch just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

....I'm a Sport...a Smoke Gray Sport to be specific.

2. amirite macrumors 6502a

SS with sport band.

I want the option to be able to use some of the SS bands, and I can afford the extra $200 so why not?

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

For me, SS with sports band (pink) because I like the look.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I have a $300 Casio Edifice, three years old. I basically only wear it on the weekends, with a suit - point is, the case is immaculate (stainless steel) but the crystal has several tiny (<1mm) scratches where I apparently hit something with it. Unfortunately when commuting in Tokyo, the watch tends to get hit - usually against other people's watches :(

Therefore I'll be getting the SS version with a black sport band, and buying a Milanese band afterwards IF the magnet is strong enough to prevent the watch from falling off upon impact. I want/need the sapphire face, for scratch resistance.

5. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

You only take your GF out once in a while??

I'm an Apple watch (SS). I'm not sporty and I'm very girly so the sport wouldn't suit me. The SS looks nice enough and the price is reasonable.

6. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Before the prices were announced, I was all in for the Space Gray Stainless Steel. Had hoped I could get it with a sports band - looks pretty neat. But $1100 (will actually cost $1400 in Denmark with taxes) is too much for me.

Then there's the normal steel version with sports band, but I really like black watches. That cost the same as an iPhone 6 16GB. So a little over my budget, as I don't normally wear a watch, and I don't even know if I will like the Apple Watch.

So, I will be getting the Black Sport 42mm, and if I like it, I might get the steel version when Watch 2 comes out :)

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

8. Shenaria macrumors newbie

Based upon advice from my style/fashion advisor (i.e. my fiancé) it'll be the Black Sport with the black band.

Really liked the look of the Black SS but not at those prices.

9. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I always had my eyes on the stainless steel watch with the leather strap since I work in a professional setting and thought it would go well...but with the announcement of the prices, I realised that I could probably only afford the Sports Edition.

Then I had the idea that there will no doubt be a lot of 3rd party straps/bands after the release. So I'll most likely get the stainless steel with the cheapest band and then just buy a variety of cheap 3rd party leather/metal bands later. :D

10. Xeyad macrumors 6502

42mm Apple Watch Sport Silver with white band for me

At these prices for a 1st gen product, I won't invest too much especially that they all have the same functionality.

I'm not a big fan of the sports band, but I like the Silver case more than the Space Grey case, and I'm sure third-party case manufacturers are gonna jump on this and create some beautiful bands at reasonable prices.

11. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I thought I was a SS type of guy but I'm really not. I've never been a man for the shiny things and matte/satin finish has always appealed to my innermost being. I've always loved black out and really thought I was going to go for SS or silver aluminum. But the most sensible thing for me is the space gray Sport with black sport band as it fades to black and doesn't draw much attention like myself. The price is acceptable to me for a first gen product as well. I can live with that without feeling envy for other bands that are really outside of my price range.

12. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    Sport maybe, I wanted the SS, but its expensive and it’s a 1st gen

But I may weaken as the days go on
    :(

13. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I'm going with the stainless steel version mainly for the band selection. I think the sport model looks nice but not having the option of using a leather or link band to pass it off in a work/formal environment was a bit of a deal breaker for me

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I can easily explain why I'm (and most) or not an Edition. $10,000:eek:

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Sport if I try one.

The others are not worth the money to me

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm stainless but with that price point, I'm not sure.

17. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Sport but I'm not really sure.... probably there will be a new version in 6 months cheaper and with less lag....

18. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I'll get the space gray sport model with black rubber band. I'll probably buy a leather band down the road. I'll use the rubber band when exercising and use the leather band most every other time.

I'm a 29 year old Engineer for an automotive mfg.

19. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

SS for me, with a sport band. Wife wants to buy me a leather band later for formal outings.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Why couldn't you use the leather or link bands with the Sport model?

That's exactly what I plan on doing. I'll be getting the space gray Sport model (42mm) with black band. Then, I'll buy the midnight blue leather loop separately to use as my nicer band for work.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Ultimately... it's the least expensive of the lot. But even before pricing was confirmed I always liked the dull aluminum space gray finish. The idea of running w/ a SS watch nauseates me. Thinking about it makes me uncomfortable.

22. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I was under the understanding that the bands didn't work between models? Maybe I misunderstood. Either way, I think the link band might look kinda off with the aluminum but I do think the leather would look nice

23. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

38 mm stainless steel. It's dressy enough for work, but more importantly it has a sapphire crystal on it.

I think they hit it out of the park with the stainless steel line and that will be the mainstream Apple Watch.

24. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The bands work just fine between models. The only thing to consider is that certain bands only come for certain sizes. For instance, the leather loop band I want only comes in a 42mm variety so you'd have to have a 42mm Apple Watch to get that band.

25. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Assuming I could pick up whichever watch I want - either the 38mm Apple Watch Edition (Rose Gold) With the Rose Gray Modern Buckle ($17,000) or the 38mm Apple Watch (Stainless Steel) with Milanese Loop ($649).

Otherwise, 38mm Black aluminum Apple Watch Sport with the black band :D.