Expo Highlights - iPhoto?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret posted their MWSF highlights. Their claims also include a flat panel iMac, some iBook bumps and iPhoto:

iPhoto. The long awaited consumer photo manipulation product is ready for the public. It will be free and will take a more consumer approach to editing and posting photos than Adobe Photoshop Elements.

See the article for their full highlights.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Like I said all along...

DESKTOPS
Speed-bumps for existing Quicksilver G4's to 1.4Ghz single processor, 1Ghz dual processor and 867Mhz Single Processor. All machine come with Superdrive.

IMACS
Entry level iMac has same form factor as current iMacs, indigo color, 600Mhz G3, retailing at $799
Mid range iMac with new LCD based all-in-one metal and white plastic enclosure 800Mhz G3 $999
Top range iMac, same enclosure as mid range, 1Ghz G3, Optional Superdrive & hardware MPEG compression for iDVD

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Make Times?

I know this doesnt exactly have anything to do with this but I was wondering how to find out the make or lead time until a product would ship for mac cuz i looked all over apple.com thanks

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
go to Apple's online store and add items to your cart... and proceed to checkout... it will tell u before you have to put in a CC #

arn

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
Absolutely

Let's not forget that Apple speedbumped both laptops in the summer, and recently updated the TiBook with combo DVD/CD-RW drives. Much as I'd like to see Apple refresh its entire model range, I think that people predicting GHz Powerbooks are going to be seriously disappointed.

As for desktops - Powermacs easily above 1GHz with Apollo G4s (possibly branded as G5s), probably with new enclosures. LCD iMacs with Sahara G3s as discussed a million times elsewhere.

The absolute focus though will be on a new 'i' Device - the mystery 'just one more thing' item...

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
Anywhere from on shelves by the time Steve walks off stage to months...
Probably most will be available within a couple weeks, and then there will be supply glitches if it's really hot.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Expo hype...

If this "rumored" iPhoto does come out, what will happen to image capture? Will it go the way of MP3 player in the Public beta of OS X?

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Image Capture is to take images off of the camera and into your pictures folder.

iPhoto would be to edit these pictures, not capture them.

(anyone still have a copy of the good ol' 'MP3 Player' app from Public Beta?)

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Yeah...

But I was thinking that the first step (downloading pictures from your camera) would be imported into the iPhoto application!

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Re: So I'm thinking.....

Originally posted by Classic
That along with iPhoto, Apple will announce a camera. ;)
Bingo! I see iPhoto and a digital camera as the perfect combo. This also gives more time for Mac users to lust for an Apple PDA to return to store shelves.

If iPhoto delivered the ability to do some of the more basic image creation and manipulation for free, I wonder how the Adobe/Apple relationship will fare.

iapplemac

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2001
An apple consumer photo program really would not hurt Adobe at all. They make all thier money on bundling PS Elements with scanners and printers. Plus a digital camera would fit in perfect into the Digital Hub concept.

B

Beej

So do you think that Apple would hype up MWSF over a digital camera and iPhoto? It's really not that exciting.

In fact, it will have to be something I've not yet heard as a realistic prediction to keep everyone happy after this much hype...

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
The hype is all inclusive

Apple isn't hyping just one product like the somewhat ill-received iPod introduction (don't flame me, I didn't mind the hype)

This hype is all around the entire product line being upgraded and we will see enough 'new' and 'improved' things coming out of the Bay that I think only the most cinical will be disapointed.

Or Not

I

iCinder

i am not at all interested in a digital camera... unless it is under $200... and knowing apple an iCamera would be very expensive. oh well, i guess i am gonna have to buy a m505 after all

T

tpav

iCam

Why has no-one speculated the mystery product is a tapeless mini-DV camera combo with the iPod's 5GB drive and firewire? Think how tiny it could be. They took the MP3 player concept and took out all the stops, no-one was doing it quite right. They could do the same thing with a video camera. When the iMac DV was intro'd with iMovie, Jobs said the next big thing was desktop video. I think that's where he's still headed. A simple digital camera would be a letdown.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
"Where no PC has gone before"

The line on apple.com today clearly indicates that they are hyping the new iMac.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Re: Bad feeling

Worst case - new but expensive LCD iMac, everyone dubs the new Cube. No speed bump for the desktops. With all this hype, a lot of people would be very disappointed.

I still feel confident we'll see a speed bump on the Quicksilvers though, which should be enough to keep things ticking along nicely.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
If...

Apple makes the new iMac with a Superdrive a 733mhz G4 and make it as skinny as a Studio Display, they've would have hit home run... ;)

Very very few PC's actually have DVD-RW drives these days, and that would bring it to the masses. So far M$ hasn't copied iDVD yet, so I'm waiting until they do to FLAME EM!

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
think beyond the iMac, think different. i see merger and/or a new very cool product and/or a update that will run windows emulation in the background on os x and/or a PC version of Mac OS X w/either strict hardware reqs or deliberate limitations and deliberately slow os

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I wouldn't see OS X on PC

as a very exciting future... You mean my quicksilver is the last piece of hardware apple will ever construct!?!

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONON
ONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO
ONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONON