Extended Warranty expiring

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Simple Living, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

The extended warranty on my iMac expires on 1/01/11. The only time I've needed to use it was when I was having pixel problems once. I brought it in and it's been fine since.

Should I schedule an appointment for anything during the next two weeks for any reason, to get the most of my warranty?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could try, but unless you're having a problem of some sort, there's not much they can do.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't see a reason to schedule an appointment unless you have issues. They can't really do anything

4. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I switched to Mac three years ago and it's been a little too smooth! I tell people that buying a PC is like buying a car... and having to push it everywhere you go. Buying a Mac is like getting a chauffeur with the car.

I got pretty good about going into my PC and uninstalling and debugging and fixing files. I've since lost that ability since I switched to Mac. I have no clue how to do that now.

I mention it because I use my iMac to watch TV, movies and videos online. Sometimes I'll click on a deceptive link and it will instantly start downloading something like Graboid. I drag it to the Trash but how do I know if any little files have been left behind? I've also downloaded software and didn't like it so I've tried to uninstall it. At first I was told that All I need to do is drag it to the Trash and that took care of it. But some have uninstall options that I didn't know about. Also, sometimes when I downloaded a program, I never saw it again. I'd search and search but couldn't find it.

So, I guess the only problem I'm really having is with peace of mind. How do I go through my hard drive and check it for random, lost or useless files and programs that have been left behind? Since I switched to Mac, I've not learned to do that.

Some must exist because I recently had a problem with "Safari has quit unexpectedly." This is the only problem I've had with my Mac in three years. (Other than the resolved pixel issue.)

ETA: Is there a Mac version of a System Defrag I can run?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You don't have to.

One is not related to the other. There is no reason to believe random files on the filesystem that may or may not exist (and most likely don't) have anything to do with this

You don't need to. The Mac defrags it's filesystem as it's going along.

6. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Robbie, so when I've just dragged and dropped an icon into the trash, it removed the all the files from the program? Even if I didn't use their uninstall button?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

About disk optimization with Mac OS X
    That doesn't remove everything. Not even the application removal apps get it all:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10903768#post10903768

To get it all, do it manually:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11171082#post11171082

8. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

That's incredibly helpful, GGJ. I really appreciate it. I tried doing a search before I posted but I'm not very proficient in my tech talk and I was pulling up random threads with certain keywords but nothing with my exact situation. Thanks for taking the time to search for, and post, those links.

9. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

I just went through all three links, GGJ and saved the last one. It restored my peace of mind on the issue. Thanks for the clear directions that even a newbie could follow.

10. scooterguitar macrumors regular

I'm close to expiring myself, no known issues. Is it advised to go ahead and purchase the extra extended warranty?