Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNextWrestler

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2015
I regret installing El Capitan so much.
I am unable to use my hard drive now, thanks Apple…
Its pretty crazy the amount of times I have actually regretted updating things with Apple.
I have always been an Apple advocate but I am starting to get very tired of things like this..

gerarddezeeuw

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Lincolnshire
I've tested this with 2 external hard drives I own, both drives do not show up when plugged in. One is USB and the other is Firewire 800. Anybody else seeing this?

I asked Apple. They suggested an 'smc reset'. Switch off your computer. Remove all peripherals, including keyboard, screens and power cable. Push the power button for 5 seconds (note: when there is no power!). Switch on: my hard disks appeared!

Reactions: Charkles

BroCraig

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Louisiana
Yes i am currently having the same problem with my Seagate backup plus 1tb (usb 2.5') drive suddenly not working on my 13' mbpro 2015. The drive does not work on either USB port and does not show up in disk utility but the drive is healthy and works fine on other computers.

Does anyone have an update?

No. I'm right there with you.

BroCraig

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2009
Louisiana
No. I'm right there with you.
OK. I understand your drives are not showing up in Finder after upgrading to El Capitan. No Seagate drive made in the last 15 years has required any software to detect on a Mac. However, it is possible that you are using the old version of the NTFS Paragon driver, used for adding write capability to the Mac for our NTFS drives. The old version is incompatible with El Capitan. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the NTFS driver, using the version on our website.

To uninstall the drive, click on Apple > System Preferences > Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X. Click the Info tab and select uninstall. Reboot the Mac. Then download and install the updated version from our website.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

knazito

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
Hi guys .If the HDD is healthy and the problem is that you can't find it to click it, the "solution" is Finder->Go ->Go to folder type /volumes/ enter.

Alegufo

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2015
OK. I understand your drives are not showing up in Finder after upgrading to El Capitan. No Seagate drive made in the last 15 years has required any software to detect on a Mac. However, it is possible that you are using the old version of the NTFS Paragon driver, used for adding write capability to the Mac for our NTFS drives. The old version is incompatible with El Capitan. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the NTFS driver, using the version on our website.

To uninstall the drive, click on Apple > System Preferences > Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X. Click the Info tab and select uninstall. Reboot the Mac. Then download and install the updated version from our website.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/
Thanks, it's the perfect solution for my Samsung M3!

Reactions: ernstjanmeijer

LiamD

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2015
This also worked for me, can now read & write to Samsung 1TB M3 with El Capitan

tipertuba

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2015
I asked Apple. They suggested an 'smc reset'. Switch off your computer. Remove all peripherals, including keyboard, screens and power cable. Push the power button for 5 seconds (note: when there is no power!). Switch on: my hard disks appeared!
I just had to post this here.. thanks for that !! not sure what happened that my HD wouldn't show up, but when I did what you mention it appeared and HD is working fine now..
My HD wouldn't show up in Disk Utilities and anyplace else.. lol

I guess it might be that I tried to shutdown the Mac, but other application blocked it, so maybe some "service that looks/monitors HD" stopped working.. :p

MancinosUn4gvn

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2015
I just had to post this here.. thanks for that !! not sure what happened that my HD wouldn't show up, but when I did what you mention it appeared and HD is working fine now..
My HD wouldn't show up in Disk Utilities and anyplace else.. lol

I guess it might be that I tried to shutdown the Mac, but other application blocked it, so maybe some "service that looks/monitors HD" stopped working.. :p

So i just ran into this issue after restoring my sisters MacBook after replacing with a bigger drive.

Although it doesn't show up in Finder if you run the diskutil info -all it will list the hard drives attached. It was able to see the drive however in Finder and Disk Utility it would not recognize.

Running a simple diskutil mount disk2s3(Device Identifier) solved this.

Device Identifier: disk2s3
Device Node: /dev/disk2s3

The above reference comes from the diskutil info -all command. It seems as though the problem with El Capitan is the auto mount not working, not the actual recognizing of drives.

Hope this helps.

dufc69

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2015
So i just ran into this issue after restoring my sisters MacBook after replacing with a bigger drive.

Although it doesn't show up in Finder if you run the diskutil info -all it will list the hard drives attached. It was able to see the drive however in Finder and Disk Utility it would not recognize.

Running a simple diskutil mount disk2s3(Device Identifier) solved this.

Device Identifier: disk2s3
Device Node: /dev/disk2s3

The above reference comes from the diskutil info -all command. It seems as though the problem with El Capitan is the auto mount not working, not the actual recognizing of drives.

Hope this helps.

I tried this and this part of the code showed my external drive but when I tried to mount it it timed out :
"Volume on disk1s2 timed out waiting to mount"

getting really annoyed with this issue.....

dufc69

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2015
I got rid of this issue!!!!!

Don't know why it mattered but since i wasn't getting anywhere with this I started setting up my iMac, firstly created my wife's user account. I log in as her to set up Safari, Chrome, email, etc and the my external drive came up!

Can't see why it would make a difference but it did.....

NJM2323

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016
I've tested this with 2 external hard drives I own, both drives do not show up when plugged in. One is USB and the other is Firewire 800. Anybody else seeing this?
I'm having this problem--this forum doesn't have any answers I guess.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
I'm having this problem--this forum doesn't have any answers I guess.
There's a whole mess of useful tips above your post,
Boba-riding.jpg

Dr.Moose

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2016
[doublepost=1455833662][/doublepost]I have 4 Seagate drives. After upgrading to El Capitan none of them could be recognized by my MacBook Pro. I contacted Seagate and they were very helpful. The upgrade process corrupted the drives drivers and had to be replaced. So far things are back to normal.

Reactions: Goatllama

takenreality

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2016
Colorado
I regret installing El Capitan so much.
I am unable to use my hard drive now, thanks Apple…
Its pretty crazy the amount of times I have actually regretted updating things with Apple.
I have always been an Apple advocate but I am starting to get very tired of things like this..
Completely agree. iPhone, iPad and now my MacBook Air are having problems after years of no problems. Regret doing the updates on all three.

My WD "My Passport Ultra" when plugged in does NOTHING. Plug the same external HDD to my other laptop, works great. ExHDD doesn't show up in Disk Utility or in "/volumes/". Did a SMC and VPRM reset. That did make my battery percentage start reading something other than 40% all the time but no help for the drive.

At first I wasn't able to disconnect the drive. I had to shutdown the indexing services to safely eject the drive.

I installed the NTFS service, that didn't work unfortunately either. At this point I'm stuck.

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
My WD "My Passport Ultra" when plugged in does NOTHING.
Mine is in the same boat, it just has a mind of its own and will eject at random. I have tried everything from updated drivers, to updating its firmware, to waiting a few releases in on El Capitan, SMC, VRAM, clean install... None of them remedied it, and now it is still ejecting on its own to this day even after I moved all its data to a new WD MyBook which has non of the mentioned connectivity issues.

viasavannah

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2016
I know this topic is old but I just ran into this problem today, and this is the thread that gets linked from basically everywhere else that this problem is posted.

Using a Toshiba Canvio Slim II on a relatively old (mid 2009) Macbook Pro (recently upgraded to El Capitan, didn't do a clean install but it doesn't look like that would have helped much with this issue), tried the typical turning it on and off again, checking to see if it just needed to be mounted, NVRAM/PRAM reset, SMC reset, no software updates possible for the HD. HD turns on (lights and whirring), USB ports work, still got nothing.

Has anyone figured out how to get external HDs working yet?

WeeJavaDude

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
I have what I believe is the same issues. Started off saying that the disk was improperly disconnected though I did never disconnect it. Yesterday I set up a a process to back up some photos to the drive so which in turn would excersize the drive.

Today.. I get the 'Drive cannot be recognized' and it wants to initialize it. When i get the info on it.. it shows up as a RAID drive. My drive is a single iomega drive. it is not a RAID drive. When I do FirstAid on it, it says successful but still no go. This all started with El Capitain. I have two external drives. One (knock on wood) works great. The other has this problem.

Any official place to report this? Any thing I can try outside of purchasing DiskWarrior or some other tool. Given I believe this is a software issue, repairing it has a good chance of it just coming back.

Here is the info from my drive where you can see it thinks it is a RAID now.

Device Identifier: disk4
Device Node: /dev/disk4
Whole: Yes
Part of Whole: disk4
Device / Media Name: RAID
Volume Name: Not applicable (no file system)
Mounted: Not applicable (no file system)
File System: None
Content (IOContent): None
OS Can Be Installed: No
Media Type: Generic
Protocol: USB
SMART Status: Not Supported
Total Size: 2.0 TB (2000398934016 Bytes) (exactly 3907029168 512-Byte-Units)
Volume Free Space: Not applicable (no file system)
Device Block Size: 512 Bytes
Read-Only Media: No
Read-Only Volume: Not applicable (no file system)
Device Location: External
Removable Media: No
Virtual: No
OS 9 Drivers: No
Low Level Format: Not supported

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.