Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evangw

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Not sure if this is the right subforum, but here goes...

A few weeks ago, I broke my 2012 MBA while doing the whole "see if the computer can drink a glass of water" trick. I went to the Apple store and got the SSD card taken out since I don't have a pentalobe screwdriver, but they don't help with actually recovering the data nor offer a SSD case for sale which is kind of a bummer. But, the employee helping me said I should get an OWC Envoy enclosure and I can plug it in and it will (probably) work.

Only trick I'm having now is that there are like a million OWC Envoy Enclosures. I guess http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOY12/ is the correct one for a mid-2012 MBA?

I don't really understand why there are so many enclosures either; do the connections really change so much and so often for SSDs? It's also kind of weird that this external enclosure is EXCLUSIVELY for 2012 MBAs and SSDs sourced exclusively from Apple. In either case, if it works I guess it can serve as a nice "new" 128 GB boot drive for my 2009 iMac.

Any SSD harddrive enclosure will do, just make it durable enough to handle what you plan on doing with it. If you want to retain the fastest transfer speeds possible, then you need to hook up to either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. If you don't you will be transferring at the speed of slooooowwww.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Any SSD harddrive enclosure will do, just make it durable enough to handle what you plan on doing with it. If you want to retain the fastest transfer speeds possible, then you need to hook up to either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. If you don't you will be transferring at the speed of slooooowwww.
For an Air OP needs a very specific SSD enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.