iPhone XR Eye Strain on iPhoneXR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sddabrow, Oct 29, 2018.

?

Moved to XR from X/XS/XS Max due to Eye Strain. Do you still have eye strain on the XR?

1. No, believe the no-PWM from the LCD screen solved my issue

55 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Yes, still have eye strain.

19 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Yes, still have eye strain. However, the strain stopped once I covered the 'Notch' FaceID

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. No, you guys are crazy!

88 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. BenjaminRF macrumors newbie

BenjaminRF

Sorry if that came across abrupt, that wasn’t my intention, thanks for your input.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    iPhone 6s

2. silver_mtb Suspended

silver_mtb

It is most likely the lasers beaming into your eyes. Put tape over mechanism to test.

3. gianton macrumors member

gianton

Never had any issues with it though.

4. Kharpern macrumors newbie

No, it is not just to complain. Within a minute of using my phone, even just looking at the home screen, my eyes start to ache. If I push it and use the phone for a half hour, I get a full migraine.

I do not know why this screen hurts me. I purchased it specifically because it did not have the features I thought were the only problems. You have no idea how frustrating it is to NOT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

When we try to get help figuring it out, we are brushed off. Most of us are not tech experts, so, yes, we are speculating and trying to do research and compare our experiences because that is the only avenue open to us.

It feels pretty mean spirited to knock people who are trying to figure out why they are in pain just because they have not yet figured out the answer when you also have no answers to offer and are fortunate enough not to have the problem.

5. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Not sure if you've already tried this but perhaps
    1. Turn off all FACE ID options. Use phone for an hour or so.

If still happening...
    2. Turn off all FACE ID options and turn on ZOOMED VIEW in DISPLAY & BRIGHTNESS. Use phone for an hour or so.

If still happening...
    3. turn off auto brightness in conjunction with step 2. Use phone for an hour or so.

If still happening...
    I'm out of ideas.

6. karinatwork macrumors regular

karinatwork

Since I had issues with the iPhone X, I am not brushing any more complaints off like they're nothing. But for me, the iPhone XR has a screen that's just as good as on my iPhone 8. No strain, no headaches. HOWEVER, since I saw videos of the IR laser at work, I know that this thing is sending flickering lights towards your eyes. Attention Aware has to be turned off to avoid that constant flickering light. With the laser only active when unlocking the phone or possibly using it to unlock stuff, buy stuff, etc, I had no more issues. And believe me, I'm on my phone CONSTANTLY.

7. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Honestly I feel kinda silly but since I saw the videos of the flood illuminator and dot projector at work I’ve also turned off the attention aware features. It’s almost certainly psychosomatic but I just don’t like the idea of it any more.

Kinda wish I’d got an 8 plus to be truthful.

8. leezz macrumors newbie

Has anyone's eyestrain stopped after turning off the attention aware feature but leaving face id on? I'm on the fence to purchase a new phone. It could be an XR or an 8 Plus, depending on the answer to this question.

9. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

That's a good question, Someone answer it please!

10. Tijdelijk macrumors regular

No disabling awareness still gave me an unpleasant feeling
    Everything went away after switching back to the 8 plus.

And as a bonus I don't have a notch ;)
    At the end it's just a phone so I am happy with the 8 plus

11. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

I had eyestrain when I first got the XR. I turned off True Tone, Attention Aware, and turned on Zoomed view and the problem went away. Face ID is still on.

12. darkelipse04 macrumors member

darkelipse04

Going from an X to XR, it’s definitely less of a strain on the eye.

13. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

14. leezz macrumors newbie

On XR, as well as on any non-plus LCD iPhones, turning on Display Zoom will cause font to be slightly blur (less sharp) due to the low PPI panel. You can check this on the fonts in the setting app.

Source: played with it in Apple store.

15. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

True

16. actualsize macrumors newbie

Yes, the XR display is killing me. No I never owned an X of any sort or even read about the eye-strain issue before I bought my XR. I walked into this issue oblivious and happy from a 6s, looking for an affordable camera upgrade and better battery. I got both, but the eye strain started immediately; not with enough screen time to notice it at the apple store, but easily within my usual routine. First I learned of the wider issue was when I googled “XR eye strain” to see if it was a thing, which means mine is not a case of me too-ism. I still have the 6s, and it’s no trouble when I switch back. Your PWM flicker theory doesn’t seem to be it from where I sit, though. No, I have not set up face recognition. Not interested.

17. Beth19 macrumors newbie

Hi, I need a new iPhone as my old one has gone wrong. I ordered the iPhone X but after a few days it caused eye stain and headaches so I had to return it. I was going to order the XR hoping that the LCD screen would solve the problem, however since reading this I'm doubtful. Ideally I don't want to have to return another phone, so would you recommend buying the XR, iPhone 8 or 8 Plus. Originally I was going to get the 8 plus however I feel that it will be too big.

18. Zxxv macrumors 68040

/runsarcasm
    /runjoke

It’s the price that’s doing it.

/s
    /j

19. cocoua macrumors regular

cocoua

this is weird, as iPhone XR is listed as PWM free here:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/PWM-Ranking-Notebooks-Smartphones-and-Tablets-with-PWM.163979.0.html

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I didn’t notice excessive eye strain while using the XR (though to be honest I hadn’t used it that often and hadn’t switched my SIM card to it) but after use I did get some intermittent throbbing pain. Not nearly to the extent of the X, but I don’t notice it with the 8+. I haven’t tried the XS or XS Max since the measurements suggest there haven’t been any improvements.

21. stafil macrumors 6502

I got a new generation iPad yesterday. Within the first few minutes my eyes started feeling dry and today woke up with eye pain and headache. No idea what’s going on with the new lcd panels.