iPhone XR Eye Strain on iPhoneXR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sddabrow, Oct 29, 2018.

?

Moved to XR from X/XS/XS Max due to Eye Strain. Do you still have eye strain on the XR?

1. No, believe the no-PWM from the LCD screen solved my issue

58 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. Yes, still have eye strain.

19 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. Yes, still have eye strain. However, the strain stopped once I covered the 'Notch' FaceID

7 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. No, you guys are crazy!

92 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. OLDGUYWITHAHIFI Suspended

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Most of us have been using an LCD iPhone for years. Not until the OLED versions came out did anyone ever complain about eye strain on an iPhone. Now all of a sudden LCD users are suffering from eye strain as well? I don't get it, can someone explain?

2. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

Preach

3. Tijdelijk macrumors regular

Not only Oled is new to an iPhone.
    But also Face id.
    So maybe for some of us it's face id.

4. hipsheik macrumors regular

I noticed I have to focus more on the XR, because the text is not as sharp as an 8 plus.

So my eyes seem like they have to work more on the XR to read.

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

That about sums it up. I had an adjustment period where my brain had to work to resolve what my eyes were seeing. It helped that I stopped using my 8 Plus. My iPad displays are also lower ppi so it actually now is more comfortable for me to switch between iPads and iPhone. It did used to make my eyes feel a bit strained when I’d jump between them.

However there is no pwm flicker to contend with on an LCD display, at least not the Xr one so far as I know or can perceive. So I don’t have to deal with optical migraine which is a totally different animal from eye strain, though both are undesirable.

6. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

Exactly... just like the people who thought that 3/4 inch bezels were perfectly acceptable, for 7 years, suddenly anything not true edge to edge is the work of Satan... LOL

Meanwhile, the XR screen looks great, no eye strain here, I just increased the font size a notch or two and it looks good.

The resolution on a screen this small, is fine. Nobody is telling the difference between it's resolution and 1080p... The PPI is 326, perfectly acceptable.

My iPad Pro 12.9 from last year, has a 264ppi screen, and is the iPad Pro regarded as having a crap screen? Nope.

People focus too much on a spec sheet and not enough on real world results... It's like saying a 420hp Mustang 5.0 is faster than another car... Maybe in certain situations, but put a 200hp Mini Cooper with sticky tires on The Tail of the Dragon(Rt 129 Deal's Gap) and that Mustang will be fading from the Mini's rear view mirror faster than a cheesecake at Oprah's house...

7. hipsheik macrumors regular

The XR screen also looks washed out compared to the 8 plus. It doesn't seem to have the same contrast.

I'm still considering getting an XR for the smaller size.

8. SquireSCA Suspended

SquireSCA

I notice that often the "auto brightness" is too aggressive at dimming things, making the display... less distinct? So I disable that and adjust it manually as needed with the slider from the pull down quick settings menu...

9. Ebok macrumors 6502

people complain just to complain...

10. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Glad I found this thread as my Xʀ is starting to make my eyes feel uncomfortable which is odd as my 6s was fine... I don’t get it!

11. stafil macrumors 6502

Have you tried using "Zoomed View" mode?

Settings -> Display & Brightness -> View -> Zoomed
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2018 ---
    Including the people who complain about people complaining :p

12. BenjaminRF macrumors newbie

BenjaminRF

I’ve beem using the XR for a little over a month now and I’ve never had headaches before, however I’m now starting to experience achy eyes by the end of the day and headaches above the eyes, this is definitely related to the XR, I did a test and went back to my iPhone 6S and the eye and headaches stopped. Back to the XR and they started again.

I know a lot of users of the IPhone X and XS/max have been complaining of this issue but most are blaming on the flicker rate of the OLED screens, however this can’t be the case on the XR being LCD so this leads to one thing and one thing only.....the flood illuminator that is constantly shining on my face enabling the Face ID feature. No one seems to be talking about this and seem to be fixated on the OLED screen being the issue, but I disagree, I blame FaceTime.....this is a big deal and needs to be addressed, am I the only one or are others experiencing this?

13. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

Have you tried disabling Face ID completely to see if that helps?

14. eifer macrumors regular

I don't think this comparison makes sense at all. The typical text size on an iPad is going to be a lot larger than on an iPhone, so the pixel density is less important.

15. hipsheik macrumors regular

This is a good tip. I think the display zoom helps a bit.

16. BenjaminRF macrumors newbie

BenjaminRF

Yes I have but doesn’t seem to make any difference.

17. gianton macrumors member

gianton

Launch day iPhone XR, no issues at all with eye strain, same as my Pixel 2 XL.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Have you had your eyes checked?

How much are you using your iPhone each day?

19. majkom macrumors 65816

Either face id (it flashes even when everything is off) or aspct ratio/low res display combi atiin may be the cause.
    What was your previous phone?

20. now i see it macrumors 68030

The only guaranteed way to ensure you won't get eye strain is use a Plus phone or your old phone.

21. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Agree. The plus phones have the best screens ever made for the consumer market. Nothing else even comes close.

22. BenjaminRF macrumors newbie

BenjaminRF

Everyone asks this question on threads of similar topics and with all due respect, what relevance does this have? I use my phone in exactly the same manner as I always have on a daily basis and my eyes work the same as they always have, this is an issue with changing my phone, nothing more nothing less.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Excuse my interruption :(

24. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

I’m a little surprised because the Pixel 2 XL does have PWM?