Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

badger1212

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
I've taken back a 14 pro and a 14 and i've now had an s22 Ultra for a week with far fewer issues than either of the iPhones. I said last year if the 14s weren't any good for me then I'd consider jumping ship and I think I probably will now. I could wait another year and another and it could still be the same. My 11 is starting to feel quite dated and I love my gadgets. I'll probably also try the Pixel 7 to see if I can minimise the eye strain even more. I've wanted to stay with Apple but I am currently unable to use a flagship Apple phone comfortably and am not willing to compromise that.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I've taken back a 14 pro and a 14 and i've now had an s22 Ultra for a week with far fewer issues than either of the iPhones. I said last year if the 14s weren't any good for me then I'd consider jumping ship and I think I probably will now. I could wait another year and another and it could still be the same. My 11 is starting to feel quite dated and I love my gadgets. I'll probably also try the Pixel 7 to see if I can minimise the eye strain even more. I've wanted to stay with Apple but I am currently unable to use a flagship Apple phone comfortably and am not willing to compromise that.
Would be interested to hear your opinion on the S22 Ultra regarding PWM reactions.

Reactions: Gargamelus

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I'm also very interested to hear how you get along with the S22 Ultra. From what I have read, Samsung does a better job keeping PWM rates consistent as refresh rate adjusts on their LTPO implementation. I have no explanation for why Apple OLEDs in particular bother me so much, especially the Pro line.

I can use my Switch OLED for hours at a time and I'm totally fine. Yet it clearly has lots of flicker so I give up trying to understand it. All I know is I can't use modern iPhones and that stinks.

pwm away

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
Australia
Notebookcheck have added the iPhone 14 to their PWM list; no review available yet

According to them, the PWM frequency is at 60Hz:

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 15.51.31.png

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Notebookcheck have added the iPhone 14 to their PWM list; no review available yet

According to them, the PWM frequency is at 60Hz:

View attachment 2088681
Whoa.

iPhone 13 mini - 510
iPhone 13 - 610
iPhone 13 Pro - 510
iPhone Pro Max - 238.1

iPhone 14 - 60
iPhone 14 Pro - 240
iPhone 14 Pro Max - 240.9

They really cut down on the refresh speeds this year. I wonder if that's part of how they are bumping up the battery life. I'll keep my 13 mini for another year or 10 at this rate, since it works well for me thank you very much.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Can't be accurate. 60 Hz PWM frequency would be basically visible to the human eye. Crazy if true!
Yeah, my guess is they mixed up refresh rate and PWM rate. PWM is usually roughly four times the refresh on fixed refresh OLED displays. Unless the phone maker decides to do something different. That would put it at 240, which seems far more likely.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Out of the 14s, the regular 14 was the one I had the least issues with
Same. I was able to mess around with one (on and off with the 14 Pro) and I found the 14 to be much easier on the eyes. I could still see the telltale signs of OLED that get to me with continued use. But it was much better than the Pro. My guess is they are using a garden variety 240hz PWM, 60hz refresh OLED on the standard 14 line. With how much they decided to lean into repairability with the 14, it would make sense they would use a standard panel with no funny business. Easy to source from various vendors. Easy for Apple to fix on the cheap under AppleCare. And because of that, I think I'm simply getting used to that type of OLED panel. They are used in a lot of other stuff.

So I guess the question I really have to ask myself is, can I tolerate OLED if I stick to the non LTPO style (Apple or Android) and limit my screen time, do I just admit defeat and go with the SE 2022, or do I try to find an Android device with DC dimming or an LCD. My head is spinning. I should really just get some coffee and take a nice morning walk, haha.

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah, my guess is they mixed up refresh rate and PWM rate. PWM is usually roughly four times the refresh on fixed refresh OLED displays. Unless the phone maker decides to do something different. That would put it at 240, which seems far more likely.
Honestly, I’ve learned not to trust their figures, or even Zollotech. Everything is so variable, considering the individual and potential screen lottery. For example, last year‘s 13 series, the 13 mini was bad enough for me to send back, but not terrible. The 13 pro the same way. But my mother-in-law’s regular 13 was a device from hell for me. Kind of like the iPhone X. Notebook check figures don’t substantiate that. I’ve given up on those two sources. It’s just about trying the device for yourself obviously.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
For those of us noticing thr lag, I’m curious about those who are now trying the SE 2022. Are you noticing the lag? Or does the chip make enough of a difference?

I don’t think I’ll switch from an 11 to the current SE, but I’m curious if that might help some people.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
The interesting and very vital piece of information is will the new Samsung screens give us problems. I have no issues with my Galaxy S10e but I have read a few reports of users going from that device to a Galaxy S22 and they experienced eye issues. This is very worrying as where I live one cannot simply return a newly purchased phone just because it gives one headaches or burning eyes. I find that just playing with a phone in the shop is not an adequate test.
Oh wow that must be hard. How have you dealt with all of these phones? Do you have to resell them? Do you try friends’ phones first?

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Well scrolling this thread helped me a bit this morning.

All this talk of leaving the ecosystem just makes my head explode. It sounds like saying hey we want to rip down all that living plant on that beautiful ivy-covered house so we can paint the whole thing construction cone orange. That is to say, I now feel a bit more willing to put up with my 11.

But I love learning about the research into other systems. Maybe there’s good out there.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Amazon has a generous return policy
Personal choice of course. I used Amazon once about 15 years ago and have not used them since as Bezos and his company is a cesspool of sleaze, no ethics and they have done immense harm to the small and medium business landscape of North America.

• Love
Reactions: !!!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Whoa.

iPhone 13 mini - 510
iPhone 13 - 610
iPhone 13 Pro - 510
iPhone Pro Max - 238.1

iPhone 14 - 60
iPhone 14 Pro - 240
iPhone 14 Pro Max - 240.9

They really cut down on the refresh speeds this year. I wonder if that's part of how they are bumping up the battery life. I'll keep my 13 mini for another year or 10 at this rate, since it works well for me thank you very much.
If it’s really 60Hz they may be implementing some sort of DC dimming alternative, or that’s just at lower brightness levels.

I’ll catch up with everyone’s questions later on.

Reactions: happy orchard

Gargamelus

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2022
Honestly, I’ve learned not to trust their figures, or even Zollotech. Everything is so variable, considering the individual and potential screen lottery. For example, last year‘s 13 series, the 13 mini was bad enough for me to send back, but not terrible. The 13 pro the same way. But my mother-in-law’s regular 13 was a device from hell for me. Kind of like the iPhone X. Notebook check figures don’t substantiate that. I’ve given up on those two sources. It’s just about trying the device for yourself obviously.
you cannot trust zollotech at all. at first he was always talking about pwm and all of a sudden he couldn't see it with the camera anymore and he doesn't have any problems with it anymore. this is dubious.. i think he got money from apple😉 to tell now that pwm is over

Reactions: PwmMen

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
iPhone 14 Pro review is up: iPhone 14 Pro review
iPhone 14 Pro Max has similar results in the Deutsche review:

I’ve already disabled Auto-Brightness and created a brightness shortcut for 39%. Anecdotally the 480Hz rate should cause less issues, but a brighter display can negate it and cause more eye strain.

I’m slightly disappointed that they didn’t test HDR content and the PWM rate of the max 2000 nits brightness setting.

Interestingly I find that the brightness re-calibrates itself with the Always-On display off. For those that are sensitive to the 240Hz rate it may be better to disable the AOD, although it’s also disappointing that they didn’t measure the PWM rate of the AOD.

Reactions: happy orchard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.