Face ID Described as iPhone 8's 'Crown Jewel', Unlocking Device in 'A Few Hundred Milliseconds'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The front-facing 3D sensor on Apple's upcoming iPhone 8 will be the device's "crown jewel," able to unlock the iPhone 8 in a "few hundred milliseconds" to give users quick access to their smartphone and quickly authenticate Apple Pay purchases.

The statement comes in a new report by Bloomberg, and follows on the heels of a recent article by The Korea Herald which used similar language to describe the unlocking process on the iPhone 8. As we near the device's launch, expected in September, so-called "Face ID" has risen to the forefront of iPhone 8 rumors and is largely believed to be replacing Touch ID entirely on Apple's majorly redesigned tenth anniversary smartphone.

[​IMG]
    Recent HomePod leaks have also been building up Face ID features over the past few weeks. The HomePod discoveries started off with mention of infrared sensors in the iPhone 8's front-facing camera notch, which will reportedly allow the device to scan the user's face in dark environments, and then led to a string of code that suggested the iPhone 8 will be able to scan faces at various odd angles, including when it's flat on a table.

In the midst of the HomePod leaks, Mark Gurman tweeted that Apple's pitch for Face ID over Touch ID during its upcoming September keynote will be that "Face ID is quicker, more secure, and more accurate than Touch ID." Rumors that the iPhone 8 will omit Touch ID entirely began in early July in a report by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, which was then corroborated in a report by Bloomberg.

Bloomberg's original report mentioned an "improved" security system coming to iPhone 8, potentially with eye scanning to "augment the system," and the ability for the smartphone to be unlocked with an advanced 3D sensor within a few hundred milliseconds.

As more reports have built upon these original rumors -- including the general idea that Face ID will be more secure than Touch ID because it can capture more data points than a fingerprint scan -- users can expect that advanced facial recognition features will likely be one of the major talking points of Apple's iPhone 8 keynote next month.

Check out Bloomberg's full report here, including a few infographics about the new features coming to the iPhone 8 with a focus on Apple's "best, not first" philosophy.

Article Link: Face ID Described as iPhone 8's 'Crown Jewel', Unlocking Device in 'A Few Hundred Milliseconds'

2. rpat701 macrumors regular

Hasn't Android had this functionality for years? I had it on my Galaxy Nexus back in 2012. Not sure how innovative it is.

3. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

4. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Such a classic Apple move. While everybody continues to think the same, they think different.

6. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Unless users try it and basically all determine it’s good enough/better than Touch ID, most people will still want Touch ID back, although this would be more seemless due to the lack of action from the user. We’ll have to see what the final products implementation is like.

7. rpat701 macrumors regular

Pretty sure Google thought this up years ago.

8. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

This is getting very exciting.. Still worried about someone just shoving your phone near your face and unlocking it though. Doesn't sound very secure to me?! Or am I missing something? The phone doesn't even have to touch my body to be unlocked, that is kinda scary..

9. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

In addition, anyone the has your phone could unlock it simply by holding it up to your face, if it work as the article describes. Law enforcement, would not need a warrant to unlock your phone or even your assistance.

10. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Pretty sure Google has a fingerprint scanner awkwardly on the back of its phone.

11. Sunny1990, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

12. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I'm just wondering how will it work when the phone is laying on a table.

13. JohnApples macrumors 65816

When the screen is off on the white-bezel iPhone 8, it kinda looks like an ice cream sandwich from the top-down view.

14. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Yikes, if that's the crown jewel then it's definitely not worth the effort to fight the masses for this device.

15. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

"Apple's facial identification software will have far more nuance than simply scanning faces head-on, and allow the smartphone to be unlocked even when it's at an odd angle"

Link to the MacRumors Article :-
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/06/homepod-firmware-iphone-scan-face/

16. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

Not like TouchID post 6s was slow though?

Still a remarkable innovation in terms of technology.

17. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

On paper this iteration will be fantastic. Lets hope it delivers!

18. Sleaka J macrumors regular

Sleaka J

Face ID doesn't sound like it'll work well with Apple Pay. Touch ID works well with Apple Pay because you don't have to stick your face over the phone when you hold it over the terminal, it doesn't need to be facing you at all.

19. T-Bob macrumors 6502a

T-Bob

"Not buying if Touch ID gone"

*Hype machine gears up*

"OMG its the next best thing ever! Apple have done it AGAIN!!"

20. ACST Suspended

I mean I guess I could live with it when it really supports the odd angles, basically the same angles I'm using now when unlocking using touchID.

21. xalea macrumors regular

xalea

I thought about this also. What about if you're asleep? Do your eyes have to be open for it to work?

22. ACST Suspended

It does face you though when you place your finger on the phone, if with such angles FaceID works the same (like suggested in the article) it'll work even better than TouchID because you don't have to place your fingers on a specific place.

23. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I'm assuming it works at a decently wide angle from perfect perpendicular to the camera. I mean, I've never seen anyone use a phone line flat on the table at like a 160° angle where you might be out of the camera field (but couldn't read the display anyway).

24. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

25. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

When something is categorically different, which this is, it doesn't exactly count.