Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
also, that new "press the wake button 5 times and then hit "cancel""-mechanism to switch off biometrics wouldn't work in a situation where your phone gets snatched by someone else. personally i wouldn't worry about that fringe case when law enforcement wants your data - there's a passcode for that - but for spouses or children getting easier access to your pivate data or the app store than with touchID.

I agree - my concerns are how will this be implemented? Auto unlock opens up a whole can of worms' the LE comment was its one case where it would have significant impact on one's 5th amendment rights in the US.

kdarling

macrumors P6
personally i wouldn't worry about that fringe case when law enforcement wants your data - there's a passcode for that - but for spouses or children getting easier access to your pivate data or the app store than with touchID.

Perhaps everyone is thinking backwards.

What if it auto-RE-locks the moment it sees an unregistered face ?

That takes care of most privacy problems. But it raises other problems, such as if you wanted to actually LET someone else use your phone, and to allow a slight delay to use Apple Pay.

So, in that case, would need some kind of override to PREVENT locking.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Perhaps everyone is thinking backwards.

What if it auto-RE-locks the moment it sees an unregistered face ?

That takes care of most privacy problems. But it raises other problems, such as if you wanted to actually LET someone else use your phone, and to allow a slight delay to use Apple Pay.

So, in that case, would need some kind of override to PREVENT locking.

There is bound to be a system in place for such an event, I suppose if push came to shove one could always use the good old fashioned pin to unlock. Perhaps using that would override an automatic lock?

I’m definitely curious to see how Apple are going to handle all of the different use cases and simultaneously alleviate everyone’s concerns if they completely abandon traditional Touch ID.

Reactions: kdarling

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
Frankly I don’t really give a damn if the traditional Touch ID dies, so long as it’s replacement is secure and can’t be fooled by a photo/contact lens/3D print.

[...]

Rest assured that whatever mechanism we end up with on the new iPhone(s) it will have been tested to death for reliability and security.

If you are unhappy with the security of Touch ID, which had been tested to death for reliability and security by Apple as well: why are you so optimistic about Face ID?

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
If you are unhappy with the security of Touch ID, which had been tested to death for reliability and security by Apple as well: why are you so optimistic about Face ID?

At which point did I say I was unhappy with traditional Touch ID? I love it, I use it every single time I unlock my iPhone and iPad. It’s fast, secure and simple.

If you’re referring to the comment about being fooled by photos/contact lenses, that obviously isn’t anything to do with Touch ID as none of those things are applicable to it, you’d have a hard time unlocking Touch ID with your eyeball :D That’s a reference to how hopeless the Samsung face unlock is when it comes to security.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Frankly I don’t really give a damn if the traditional Touch ID dies, so long as it’s replacement is secure and can’t be fooled by a photo/contact lens/3D print.

It might be able to be fooled by a 3D bust, but then, TouchId was easily fooled by a glue print copy and no one cared :)

Not to mention that it's a lot easier to secretly use Apple Pay with a fake print overlaid on a thief's finger, than it would ever be for a thief to stand in line carrying someone's bust and pointing the phone at it!

I think the latter would give him away :D

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
It might be able to be fooled by a 3D bust, but then, TouchId was easily fooled by a glue print copy and no one cared :)

Not to mention that it's a lot easier to secretly use Apple Pay with a fake print overlaid on a thief's finger, than it would ever be for a thief to stand in line carrying someone's bust and pointing the phone at it!

I think the latter would give him away :D

Ha, so true, though I would like to hear their fumbling excuses. I, er, I never use my own eye in case someone gouges it out of my noggin, I prefer the safety of a finely crafted bust. Honest guv’nor.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
At which point did I say I was unhappy with traditional Touch ID? I love it, I use it every single time I unlock my iPhone and iPad. It’s fast, secure and simple.

If you’re referring to the comment about being fooled by photos/contact lenses, that obviously isn’t anything to do with Touch ID as none of those things are applicable to it, you’d have a hard time unlocking Touch ID with your eyeball :D That’s a reference to how hopeless the Samsung face unlock is when it comes to security.

My bad, I misinterpreted the part with the photo since that’s pretty much all it takes to get a fingerprint to fool Touch ID, as the CCC proofed when the 5s introduced this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.