Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So as long as I don't sleep with my eyes open I'm good. Excellent! :p
And if you do, thank god you have a girlfriend putting drops in your eyes so they don't dry out.
[doublepost=1506530447][/doublepost]
Easy... assuming the click SOS feature is still active on X.. just click the side button 5 times. Then set the phone down. She'll be forced to use the lock screen keycode instead of Face ID. It is the same as someone shutting down fully and rebooting the device, FACE ID does not work until after the first time you log in with keycode.
You don't even need to do that, if you're not looking at the phone, you're not getting in.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think these examples are all extremely exaggerated. In real world usage, you'll adapt and move on. It's really not that difficult. In meetings, tap to wake, look, and swipe up. In the car, look at it, swipe up. On the desk, same as in meetings, maybe just place it 4 inches instead of 8. At the beach, with your clean finger, tap to wake, swipe up. Apple pay, click the side button, look at it, scan. These really aren't as trivial to me as you let on with your super descriptive multiple steps that in reality are as simple as tap the screen, look at your phone, pick it up, and swipe up. Through it all, this is just my opinion. If you don't like the X, the great part about it is you don't have to buy it. Congratulations, easy decision. You are fully validated now and you can go on with your life.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I don’t want faceID because touchID is better (plus it requires a deliberate act on my part to unlock - i need to use one of the correct fingers, and I can easily make it not work if i want to by using the wrong part of my finger - this is a feature).

All your opinion. I'm sure someone said something similar to the iPhone not having a physical keyboard like all other popular Blackberry phones at the time. Face ID could be a total flop for all we know but if anyone can perfect this technology it's Apple.
Also you will be a able to disable the face ID with a certain button press if you find yourself in a tough situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
People are focusing on the wrong thing here.

It's not about whether FaceID works well or not. It's about Apple taking TouchID away so soon.

TouchID is a proven and tested technology. It's also very convenient to use. And reasonably secure.

Do you know anyone that has a TouchID phone that choose to enter their passcode manually?

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Perhaps someone can answer this for me. How do I keep my bat **** crazy girlfriend from unlocking my iPhone X while I'm sleeping? I normally sleep on my back. Sometimes on my side. All she'll have to do is aim the phone at my face right? Guess I could sleep on my face. Probably would be hard to breath though. Lock the actual phone away perhaps. Kick my girlfriend to the curb. Guess I'll figure something out. Suggestions are welcome.

Dump her. It will only get worse. When you do that, come back and let’s talk about the iPhone X. You got bigger problems now

Last edited by a moderator:

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
Incorrect, the edges are smaller and the top section cannot be used for other than what Apple has them setup for.. meaning it's basically a small bezel on the top. The usable portion of the screen is a little larger than the iPhone 6/7/8 but not the same as the Plus series, it's smaller by a lot.

Isn't the screen of the X 5.8" vs. 5.5" for the 8+? I don't know how thats "smaller by a lot".

Coachingguy

Reactions: Ntombi

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
A poor example because she could use your finger to unlock the phone while you sleep. Maybe.

It's not about whether FaceID works well or not. It's about Apple taking TouchID away so soon.

TouchID is a proven and tested technology. It's also very convenient to use. And reasonably secure.

Do you know anyone that has a TouchID phone that choose to enter their passcode manually?
Here is the fun part, Apple hasn’t taken TouchID away. They have created a single device that uses a new technology in place of TouchID while keeping every single other TouchID device in place. Apple has created a test bed device for FaceID. It wouldn’t be shocked at all if next years “X” device has TouchID integrated into the screen.

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
When my iPhone is flat on a conference table, it's pointed straight at the ceiling and my face is at a 90 degree angle to it. Launch your rear facing camera, lie it on a table. Now creep your face into the shot. You'll be about 6 inches away by the time you can see your forehead. From what I've seen of other facial recognition smartphones, you need to align your eyes very close to dead center. It just won't work lying flat on a table.

If the Face ID sensors have a wide enough field of view to get a clear look at my face from 2 feet away sitting at a 90 degree angle then surely it will have a clear look at other faces in the seats adjacent to me.

You make no sense.
[doublepost=1506531169][/doublepost]
you won't really know until it's out and in real world use.. A multi millionaire like yourself should be able to just buy one try it out, and if it doesnt work for you throw it in a drawer or give it away to a friend or family member.

:eek::D

Reactions: jbanning

alphaswift

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
How many episodes into 'Criminal Minds' until they show some psycho holding a iphoneX over a dead body to gain access to the device? They could use a finger today, but that wouldn't be Hollywood trendy.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Isn't the screen of the X 5.8" vs. 5.5" for the 8+? I don't know how thats "smaller by a lot".

Coachingguy
Marketing gimmick.. look how the measured it. I've had my time with the X twice now, can't stand how much smaller it is. The Plus is clearly larger, if you buy into Apple's marketing then sure it's bigger.. if you want to be real about the usable real estate it's much smaller.

Reactions: amozo

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Here is the fun part, Apple hasn’t taken TouchID away. They have created a single device that uses a new technology in place of TouchID while keeping every single other TouchID device in place. Apple has created a test bed device for FaceID. It wouldn’t be shocked at all if next years “X” device has TouchID integrated into the screen.

If Apple brings TouchID back to the ipX in 2018, that would please a lot of us.

You are right about one thing ...the ipX is a test-bed device for FaceID.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The price is all that is keeping me from buying. Although if that wasn't an issue I'd probably want to wait until people have them in their hands to know how faceid will work in the real world before buying.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Since I don't need a new phone right now I can afford to wait and see how the X is in the real world because right now it's all speculation. I don't care for FaceID but unfortunately Apple wants to scan your face and there's no two ways about it.

I'm hoping in 2018 or 2019, the price comes down and the notch disappears, then I'll decide if it's worth it.

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
Easy... assuming the click SOS feature is still active on X.. just click the side button 5 times. Then set the phone down. She'll be forced to use the lock screen keycode instead of Face ID. It is the same as someone shutting down fully and rebooting the device, FACE ID does not work until after the first time you log in with keycode.
A poor example because she could use your finger to unlock the phone while you sleep. Maybe.

I'm not making a pro versus con argument. Just curious if that's all it would take to unlock the iPhone with the Face ID. Didn't know you'd have to have your eyes open for it to work.

Right now I've got an iPhone 6 Plus. If I decided to upgrade I'd most certainly go with the most recent model that offered Touch ID. I have no desire to be "required" to pose for my iPhone to unlock it. I love the Touch ID feature. I unlock my iPhone all the time in situations where I don't want to have to pose for my iPhone to whatever degree would be required (such as when it's docked while I'm in the car) not to mention the needed additional swipe action. That being said, it's not that I'm not open to new things. I'd just prefer having the option and think it would have been a much better idea for Apple to have offered Face ID for the first time on a device that also supported Touch ID. That would have allowed customers to test the waters and not be required to jump in with both feet first.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
But that's exactly how it works, per Craig.
[doublepost=1506530190][/doublepost]
Gaze detection. If your eyes aren't looking at the screen she's not getting in. Craig specifically addressed this on John Gruber's podcast.

It requires FaceID to do it's thing and then you swipe up though. It's not like the V30's facial recognition that can sense you and open instantaneously without even touching the power button either. Nor is it like Samsung's one where you just press the power button and presto. Although Samsung's isn't as secure.

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
Dump her. It will only get worse. When you do that, come back and let’s talk about the iPhone X. You got bigger problems now

I'm having too much fun at the moment to dump her. Perhaps we'll transition to friends with benefits. :p Was just curious if that's all it took for the feature to work. Didn't realize you'd have to have your eyes open as well. Also wondering how this Face ID will work with facial hair. I've got a Duck Dynasty level beard going at the moment. Curious if I went clean shaven whether I'd have to scan my face again or whatever. Will be interesting to hear firsthand impressions after people have owned the iPhone X for a number of months.

Reactions: soulreaver99

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'd just prefer having the option and think it would have been a much better idea for Apple to have offered Face ID for the first time on a device that also supported Touch ID. That would have allowed customers to test the waters and not be required to jump in with both feet first.

Agreed.

And that's what Apple is asking ipX buyers ...trust us.

I'm not good with that right now.

ipX == beta testers

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It requires FaceID to do it's thing and then you swipe up though. It's not like the V30's facial recognition that can sense you and open instantaneously without even touching the power button either. Nor is it like Samsung's one where you just press the power button and presto. Although Samsung's isn't as secure.
No, it doesn’t. You don’t have to wait, FaceID will work by the time you swipe. Again, explicitly described by Craig.

You lift the phone and swipe, that’s it. They included the swipe so that people just looking for their lock screen don’t leap passed it constantly.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm fine with introducing new technology.

But I do have a problem when existing and proven current technology is abandoned for the new technology in the inaugural product.

That is what we have here with the ipX.

To say otherwise, would be untrue.

Your argument is faulty. On so many levels.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Face ID isn't the only thing stopping me from getting the X. The screen is just to small when compared to the Plus sizes. I just can't see myself dropping what I already have for something smaller.

I only used the touchID a few times when i got my 7+. entering the key code is still safer for ME...touch ID Face ID...are only extra...STOP COMPLAINING EVERYONE!!.. LOL

wait till iphone XI and the 6.3" or 6.5" OLED will be the same as the current iphone PLUS size. that's what i'm going for.

Reactions: tkukoc

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
FaceID works when the iPhone is laying flat on a surface. You just have to make eye contact with the phone. You can also turn off the attention-awareness setting so you don't have to look directly at the phone for FaceID to work.

Define "eye contact" in the way that the keynote was shown and the way videos depict people at the iPhone X events as "hold it up to your face" and that in no way can be defined as "works lying flat on a surface" as one would be sitting if they were at a conference room table.

What is "attention awareness" and how would Face ID function if it wasn't aware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.