Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
No, it doesn’t. You don’t have to wait, FaceID will work by the time you swipe. Again, explicitly described by Craig.

You lift the phone and swipe, that’s it. They included the swipe so that people just looking for their lock screen don’t leap passed it constantly.

It still required to do its thing, whether if it takes a millisecond or a 5 seconds. FaceID doesn't work by you just looking at the screen while it's chilling on a desk. That's what some of us expected with FaceID.

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Let me first say that I think Face ID will function as advertised. That's not my issue. My issue is that there are specific situations where the phone isn't in my hand and getting my face where it needs to be simply won't work. Some examples:

I'm in meetings all day and frequently need to quietly check an email or two; Face ID would require me to pick up the phone to look at it or lean forward in an obvious manner, tipping off the person speaking.

I commute by car each day and use a vent mount to hold my phone; Face ID would require me to do neck gymnastics to get my eyes oriented over the center console to unlock it if I'm getting gas or am parked in a queue to pick up my son after school.

At my desk, my iPhone lies flat about 8 inches away from the keyboard. To wake the phone I merely press the home button. To unlock it I keep pressing. With Face ID to wake the phone lying flat on the desk I need to use my whole hand to grip the phone and hit the side button with my thumb. If I then want to unlock it I need to pick it up and point it at my face.

I have a beach house and am full of sticky sunscreen and sand as I sit in my chair with my phone lying flat on the armrest. With Touch ID all I have to do is keep my pointer finger clean to unlock the phone. With Face ID I have to grab the entire phone with my dirty hand, get the case full of oily chemicals, and get the case full of gritty sand merely to check for a text message notification which I tend to do every 15 minutes.

I use Apple Pay constantly and the new behavior adds steps and complexity. With Touch ID all I have to do is slide my hand in my pocket, pull it out by the thumb, and before the phone hits the wireless terminal it's already unlocked and authenticated. With Face ID it takes twice as long to double click buttons, raise the phone to my face, etc.

I'm not afraid of the technology. I believe it will function as advertised. What I'm saying is that there is nothing convenient about Face ID except almost exclusively for situations where the phone is in your hand. And for my usecases at least 50% of the time my phone is not in my hand when I need to unlock it. So it will prevent me from buying a X. Which is a shame because I like the new screen and I like the new gestures and am bored of the 6/7/8 form factor.

Only if iPhone X included the home button. Could had easily add a little bezel on the bottom with a small rectangular button. I would had been ecstatic. Instead, we get feature removal in touch ID and in the case of iphone 7, headphone jack removal and a price increase on top of everything. Really kills the excitement. Face ID can certainly come in handy in many situations but removing touch id is not the answer. Removing the home button means relearning ios all over again. Wonder how many people would instinctively reach for the home button instead of swiping up. Face ID only - meh, Face ID and Touch ID - WINNER!!!

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
If I could not deactivate Face ID, I would not be ready to adopt the X yet. I may use it eventually, but I'm still very skeptical about it. I'm ready for all of the other features included in the X.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I trust Apple to get it right. I know Samsung Note 7's face ID blew chunks until you couldn't take that phone on a airplane any more.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
Define "eye contact" in the way that the keynote was shown and the way videos depict people at the iPhone X events as "hold it up to your face" and that in no way can be defined as "works lying flat on a surface" as one would be sitting if they were at a conference room table.

What is "attention awareness" and how would Face ID function if it wasn't aware?
“The TrueDepth camera automatically looks for your face when you wake iPhone X by raising it or tapping the screen, as well as when iPhone X attempts to authenticate you to display an incoming notification or when a supported app requests Face ID authentication. When a face is detected, Face ID confirms attention and intent to unlock by detecting that your eyes are open and directed at your device”

This from the white paper on Face ID released by Apple.
https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
And Craig laid out exactly why that’s a problematic approach:

https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2017/09/15/ep-200

I suggest you give it a listen.

Not worth the listen, it's a very superficial discussion.

The fundamental difference between Touch ID and Face ID is that your fingers are quite mobile and agile and your face is not. You can move your finger 3 feet away from your body to an off-angle orientation and still hit your phone to unlock it but you can't move your face in the same manner. So instead of sending your finger on a trip to unlock a phone, you are now sending your phone on a trip to your face. This is far from convenient, unless of course you have a 3 foot long neck.

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA

The fundamental difference between Touch ID and Face ID is that your fingers are quite mobile and agile and your face is not. You can move your finger 3 feet away from your body to an off-angle orientation and still hit your phone to unlock it but you can't move your face in the same manner. So instead of sending your finger on a trip to unlock a phone, you are now sending your phone on a trip to your face. This is far from convenient, unless of course you have a 3 foot long neck.

Won't be a problem for...
ET%2BPHONE.jpg

Naramis

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2013
As an anesthesiologist I'm wearing a surgical mask a lot of the time when at work, and I assume Face ID won't work with that since it covers my nose and mouth. It would be annoying to have to remove the mask every time I want to unlock the phone. I don't want to go to Android, but if Touch ID doesn't come back next year, I might have to..

Reactions: TravisPNW

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
As an anesthesiologist I'm wearing a surgical mask a lot of the time when at work, and I assume Face ID won't work with that since it covers my nose and mouth. It would be annoying to have to remove the mask every time I want to unlock the phone. I don't want to go to Android, but if Touch ID doesn't come back next year, I might have to..
Speaking for myself, when you need to be wearing a surgical mask I hope you won’t be anywhere near your phone.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I hate TouchID. It rarely works for me. Extremely frustrating and bogs me down trying over and over and over, only to then have to enter the code. Hold the phone up? It turns on? This I need and one of the main reason I want to purchase the X.

Someone who hates TouchID...ok.

So I'm assuming many times you press the home button and it's not detecting a match to your fingerprint.

Are your fingers greasy or sweaty a lot?

If we eliminate those issues, the problem lies in the orientation of the finger when you set up TouchID.

The key when registering your fingerprint is not to hold your finger at 0° offset.

TouchID works better when the finger at least 30-45°. My thumbprint is registered at nearly 80°.

TouchID works 100% of the time for me. I kid you not! And I unlock my phone constantly because I run it exclusively in low-power mode.

Last edited:

Stang6790

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2017
Well my biggest issue and one that I don't hear hardly anyone talking about is that I don't think it will work if you are wearing sunglasses or have transition lenses in your prescription glasses, since your eyes won't be "open".

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It not being available for preorder yet is preventing me from buying the iPhone X. :p

Okay. Now that I got the smartassery out of the way, I have to say I don't really like having IR dots beamed at my face. It all may be perfectly safe but the iris scanner light hurts the heck out of my eyes so I stopped using it on my Samsung. So I'm not super thrilled about anything remotely similar on the iPhone. However I hope it will be far less obnoxious on the iPhone. It's not really trying to scan my iris, after all. Oh well maybe we will all luck out and find that the dots erase wrinkles. The new Age-Defying iPhone!

I think my biggest reservation at the moment is that I can't preorder an unlocked version.

My next smaller reservation comes from the whole iPhone 8/8 Plus line having some phones plagued with the clicks and crackles. I had hoped that with the familiar form factor there would be no odd rude surprises like that, but apparently such things are inescapable. Iphone X will be a whole new ballgame. I don't mind spending a lot of money on an iPhone but I already sort of beta tested Samsung phones two seasons in a row. I'd kind of like to settle down and have it all just work.

And heck, right now my trusty IPhone 7 Plus is having some hiccups on iOS 11. The battery life plummeted. I ended up with a dead battery by dinner time for the first time in...ever. I'm down to 65% and I barely used the phone today. That's not typical for my IPhone.

I'm glad the preorder date is still weeks away. I'm not ready to make this decision yet.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
“The TrueDepth camera automatically looks for your face when you wake iPhone X by raising it or tapping the screen, as well as when iPhone X attempts to authenticate you to display an incoming notification or when a supported app requests Face ID authentication. When a face is detected, Face ID confirms attention and intent to unlock by detecting that your eyes are open and directed at your device”

apple-iphone-x-2017-iphone-x_14.jpg

Your comment above details what I'd call "sunglasses mode" where you can disable Face ID's need to see your eyes for authentication.

It does not address "flat on a table" mode where the sensors are pointed directly at the ceiling and one is sitting at a 90 degree angle to the sensors. I don't see how an iPhone X lying on a conference table is going to see my face from 3 feet away at a very sharp angle. From all I've seen of people using the X both at the keynote and at the postgame events, it has to be held up as if you're taking a selfie.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

people are too lazy to pick up their phone now? we are slowly approaching wall-e levels here.

ofvUMuq.jpg

Reactions: LastOneToKnow

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
People are focusing on the wrong thing here.

It's not about whether FaceID works well or not. It's about Apple taking TouchID away so soon.

TouchID is a proven and tested technology. It's also very convenient to use. And reasonably secure.

Do you know anyone that has a TouchID phone that choose to enter their passcode manually?

Me, I use TouchID for everything except to unlock my phone. I have no problem entering my passcode many times a day

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Me, I use TouchID for everything except to unlock my phone. I have no problem entering my passcode many times a day

Ok...so you choose not to use TouchID?

From what you wrote...it's because you want more security by having to enter the passcode.

Perfectly understandable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.