Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
"day to day use" is completely subjective. I personally unlock to the home screen vastly more often than tap into a notification.

Reactions: anoobis

remydlc

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2016
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wait What?? LOL doesnt makes sense at all. Also the video posted to show the speed is sooo biased towards FaceID because you can start waking up the phone with the home button while you also bring it to your face. BS, stop defending it, they should have included touchid, even if in the back.
[doublepost=1509570840][/doublepost]
its going to be way faster during the winter season

well assuming you can swipe-up using gloves. is that possible on the X?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK

OK let me try this analogy, and see if you actually get it.

Which of these is more secure?

a) A front door that I can stand in front of, that remains locked until I unlock it with a key when I want to walk through it
b) A front door that is unlocked all the while I'm stood in front of it, regardless of whether I want to walk through it or not

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Yup it definitely has the potential to be. We just have to trust Apple that it works as good as they claim, same as how we had to trust them when touch id first came out (and that turned out pretty good if u ask me)

Apple has a pretty good track record. More so with Steve under the helm product wise than Tim cook. Apple’s decisions under Tim Cook have been worrying me not just as a investor for the long term. But in pertaining to their products as well as some of their business decisions.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
This feels a lot like the critics lambasting the first iPhone for not having a physical keyboard. They were right in that a virtual keyboard was slower and less accurate, and yet hilariously wrong on hindsight in that the benefits of a software keyboard which didn’t take up half your device far outweighed the drawbacks.

People who fixate on unlocking speed in a vacuum feel to me like they are missing the bigger picture. It’s about completely rethinking the iPhone experience, and Apple has shown they are not averse to throwing out the sacred cows in this regard.

I predict that given time, the removal of Touch ID will show just how much the home button has been holding back the iPhone user experience.
Unfortunately intelligent responses like yours never get attention. People blast through with stupid remarks, never to realize the short sidedness of their view.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
This is a good question! During my commute, I look at my phone quite often just to see what the time is, or who just tried to contact me. For security reasons it would be better to not have the phone unlock during those brief interactions - it'd be nice if that was possible without completely disabling FaceID.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that - once the wider population figures out how this works, there will be thieves taking advantage of that moment to grab and dash.

Why would a thief possibly go through the trouble of taking your phone in the brief time that you have unlocked it but not went to the home screen? They could just steal it from you when making a call, writing an email or browsing the web. Even if they did this, they still need your password to disable find my iPhone or your pin to disable FaceID. Unless they plan to keep the phone turned on indefinitely and assume your persona.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
OK let me try this analogy, and see if you actually get it.

Which of these is more secure?

a) A front door that I can stand in front of, that remains locked until I unlock it with a key when I want to walk through it
b) A front door that is unlocked all the while I'm stood in front of it, regardless of whether I want to walk through it or not

Dude, are you for real? Seriously? You compare the front door of your home with a mobile device you got at your hand or pocket?

You didn’t answer my questions earlier. What is your issue with an unlocked phone at your hand or at your desk? Really! What you afraid of? Someone grabbing it an running away? If someone wants to grab your phone and run they would do it regardless of it being locked or unlocked.

I swear, some people would look for issues and when they can’t find one, they would fantasise one.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Dude, are you for real? Seriously? You compare the front door of your home with a mobile device you got at your hand or pocket?

You didn’t answer my questions earlier. What is your issue with an unlocked phone at your hand or at your desk? Really! What you afraid of? Someone grabbing it an running away? If someone wants to grab your phone and run they would do it regardless of it being locked or unlocked.

I swear, some people would look for issues and when they can’t find one, they would fantasise one.

I dispair, I really do......

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The Samsung Iris Scanner is a joke to use, you have to line up your eyes to the circles on the screen and also the light that's emitted is annoying. With Face ID you don't have to line up so precisely and it's looks like a much smoother and slicker interface. I'll find out for sure on Friday. What I am sure though is that the Iris Scanner isn't very practical to use every time. I know it's got Touch ID too but it's on the back and that's not great either.

I use it and don't think its a joke at all. I find the circles to be pretty useful because it guides you to muscle memory vs. having no idea why it might not have worked. It also works if you are close, so they don't have to be perfectly aligned. From what I'm hearing on the early use of FaceID, people are saying that have to hold it up in front of their face. What's the difference?

But as you said, FPS is also available on Samsung. While you might find cases where one of the other isn't as good as FaceID or TouchID, having both is better for the broad set of use cases that I run into daily. And I've trained myself to often do them both simultaneously, so it is a race and the first one done first unlocks. FaceID could be the best facial rec ever done, and it still is just facial so any use case where you can't get your face out in front of the phone is going to fail. There are a lot of them too.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
when sitting at work, my iPhone is on the desk in front of me. Presumably faceID will be faster because it will always see me and be unlocked, vs. me having to reach for the home button.

I hope so. One of the reviews seemed to suggest it did work from the table, another that it had to be pointed at you square on. If the latter is true it’ll be a bit pants.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
Is there a way to look at the iPhone X without unlocking it, like there is with a TouchID-enabled device?

That’s why Apple makes you swipe up to get to the home screen. It’ll unlock when it sees you, but you have to swipe the lock screen up to get to the home screen.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
That’s why Apple makes you swipe up to get to the home screen. It’ll unlock when it sees you, but you have to swipe the lock screen up to get to the home screen.

But the phone is unlocked regardless of whether you swipe up or not? That's my issue.

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
3 steps to unlock?
press side button, look at it, then swipe up.

vs

1 step to unlock: put thumb on home button and push.

This is not an improvement!

I hope I can sell mine on ebay if this is as stupid as it sounds.

Reactions: TwoBytes

G65S

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
3 steps to unlock?

vs

how can you exclude the first step on one and not the other. and if ur argument is that you don't need to press the power button on the touch id device, u dont have to press it on the iphone x as well. and the second step is not a step. u literally raise the phone, swipe up. vs raising the phone and pressing the button. its all equal

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
It seems Spoonauer using it wrong. That’s not how you’re supposed to unlock the iPhone X, you’re not supposed to tap the side button. You just need to let rise-to-wake turn on the display and swipe up. You don’t even have to wait for the padlock animation, just swipe up and by the time you’ve done that, Face ID will have unlocked the phone for you.

It seems that Spoonauer is creating his own extra step in the process. But yet, his article will be picked up around the internet and the ‘fact’ that "FaceID is slower than TouchID” will prevail.

Actually, Apple has already said the goal of FaceID was to be at least faster than TouchID 1.0, but probably would not be able to achieve the speed of Touch 2.0. In other words, fall in the middle. That's exactly where it is. FaceID is very slightly behind Touch 2.0. So this article is actually true -- and Apple knows it is a bit slower than 2.0. But it's not a ton slower, so who cares? For me, that's cool. I'm fine with that. Fast enough. Plus all the other benefits of FaceID, like logging into website, the notifications, etc. All that will be faster.
[doublepost=1509574417][/doublepost]
I get that FaceID is designed to unlock your phone when you look at it. That's the issue. You look at your phone and it unlocks, whether you want it to or not, it unlocks. With TouchID, you can look at your phone as much as you want, and it remains locked until you want it unlocked, by intentionally using your finger to unlock it.

Take your phone out of your pocket to check the time, it unlocks. Place it on your desk and look at it, it unlocks.
Isn't that why Apple makes you swipe up with FaceID? It doesn't unlock just by looking at it.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Actually, Apple has already said the goal of FaceID was to be at least faster than TouchID 1.0, but probably would not be able to achieve the speed of Touch 2.0. In other words, fall in the middle. That's exactly where it is. FaceID is very slightly behind Touch 2.0. So this article is actually true -- and Apple knows it is a bit slower than 2.0. But it's not a ton slower, so who cares? For me, that's cool. I'm fine with that. Fast enough. Plus all the other benefits of FaceID, like logging into website, the notifications, etc. All that will be faster.
[doublepost=1509574417][/doublepost]
Isn't that why Apple makes you swipe up with FaceID? It doesn't unlock just by looking at it.

The open padlock implies it's unlocked before you swipe up.

PigsOnTheWing

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Orlando, FL
Did they check to see how fast Touch ID is after they've been holding a cold Coke or can/bottle of beer and have wet fingers? Or just got out of the shower, are in the middle of shaving, or have been washing dishes in the kitchen? How fast was Touch ID then? :D

Reactions: G65S

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
3 steps to unlock?

vs

Raise phone to wake.

It’s already unlocked because I will be looking at it.

Swipe up to go to home screen.

Not really any slower than pushing down on a home button (since you will be raising the phone to your face to use it anyways).

That said, am I the only one whose realizes that you'll be swiping right on whatever notification has come up as Face ID is recognising you. Once it does, you'll be put right into whatever app had the notification.

This is 2-3 times faster than Touch ID. With which you have to swipe the notification, THEN place finger on button; or vice versa, to be placed into the app. Face Id eliminates an entire step or more if you just go to home screen THEN into the app that had the notification.

Damn, now my 8+ sounds old.

I use it and don't think its a joke at all. I find the circles to be pretty useful because it guides you to muscle memory vs. having no idea why it might not have worked. It also works if you are close, so they don't have to be perfectly aligned. From what I'm hearing on the early use of FaceID, people are saying that have to hold it up in front of their face. What's the difference?

But as you said, FPS is also available on Samsung. While you might find cases where one of the other isn't as good as FaceID or TouchID, having both is better for the broad set of use cases that I run into daily. And I've trained myself to often do them both simultaneously, so it is a race and the first one done first unlocks. FaceID could be the best facial rec ever done, and it still is just facial so any use case where you can't get your face out in front of the phone is going to fail. There are a lot of them too.

I think people misinterpret FaceID. The idea isn't to spend time analyzing how or why it works or whether it's slower than TouchID or not. The idea is that it blurs the perception of needing authentication at all to unlock your phone. You shouldn’t have to consciously align your eyes into two circles for it to work.

I think what Apple was going for was using FaceID to take care of all the security stuff behind the scenes so you don't have too. It removes having to think about authenticating to access something because faceID has already detected that it is you.

What you're left with is a phone that is as easy to access as one without a passcode. No longer do you have to go through security checks because it is all done automatically. It seems pretty seamless when it works, and we're still only in V1, compared to Touch ID which has had 4 years of improvement.

Further illustrates the difference in design philosophy between Apple and the rest of the competition. This is precisely what I am paying for when I buy an Apple product - the extra thought that goes into designing it.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Wait What?? LOL doesnt makes sense at all. Also the video posted to show the speed is sooo biased towards FaceID because you can start waking up the phone with the home button while you also bring it to your face. BS, stop defending it, they should have included touchid, even if in the back.
[doublepost=1509570840][/doublepost]

well assuming you can swipe-up using gloves. is that possible on the X?

Swiping works, fingerprint recognition doesn’t. I spend most of my working day in nitrile gloves and FaceID will save me from typing in my pin every time I use my phone.

Reactions: remydlc

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
The open padlock implies it's unlocked before you swipe up.
Raise phone to wake.

It’s already unlocked because I will be looking at it.

Swipe up to go to home screen.

Not really any slower than pushing down on a home button (since you will be raising the phone to your face to use it anyways).

That said, am I the only one whose realizes that you'll be swiping right on whatever notification has come up as Face ID is recognising you. Once it does, you'll be put right into whatever app had the notification.

This is 2-3 times faster than Touch ID. With which you have to swipe the notification, THEN place finger on button; or vice versa, to be placed into the app. Face Id eliminates an entire step or more if you just go to home screen THEN into the app that had the notification.

Damn, now my 8+ sounds old.

I think people misinterpret FaceID. The idea isn't to spend time analyzing how or why it works or whether it's slower than TouchID or not. The idea is that it blurs the perception of needing authentication at all to unlock your phone. You shouldn’t have to consciously align your eyes into two circles for it to work.

I think what Apple was going for was using FaceID to take care of all the security stuff behind the scenes so you don't have too. It removes having to think about authenticating to access something because faceID has already detected that it is you.

What you're left with is a phone that is as easy to access as one without a passcode. No longer do you have to go through security checks because it is all done automatically. It seems pretty seamless when it works, and we're still only in V1, compared to Touch ID which has had 4 years of improvement.

Further illustrates the difference in design philosophy between Apple and the rest of the competition. This is precisely what I am paying for when I buy an Apple product - the extra thought that goes into designing it.
Right which I why I’m turning attention off. So I don’t even need to look at it and it will unlock. Sweet.

Reactions: Good User Name
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.