Facebook App Killing iOS Popularity

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by drtyrell, Oct 19, 2013.

1. drtyrell macrumors member

drtyrell

Undoubtedly the Facebook App on the iOS is the most dysfunctional app in the entire Apple iTunes App store. I've personally witnessed half a dozen folks move to Android due to not being able to bring up the app and execute typing, read message, etc., in a timely manner.

I think Apple needs to assist. What do you think?

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

3. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

I think I have no idea what you're on about...

The Facebook app functions flawlessly on iOS7, and I do use it quite a lot.

Never heard of these issues you mention.

4. Spidious macrumors newbie

5. manuelcalavera macrumors newbie

6. drtyrell thread starter macrumors member

drtyrell

I should have clarified, iPhone not iPad. I've taken the app into a test lab and tracked 10 to 20 second boot times, and fatal lock ups on iPhone4 through 4s. Considering the tiny packet weight of the app, it's puzzling.

7. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

My God... WTF is wrong with you and your friends who change an ecosystem because of a Facebook app? ...And who uses Facebook anyway?

8. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Sometimes the Facebook app freezes, but I don't make drastic decisions to get another phone just for that. :p

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

First off, Facebook isn't as popular as it used to be. Some have labeled it "MomBook" because teens and young adults have moved on to Twitter and other social media and left their parents on Facebook.

Secondly, If Facebook was so important that you claim people you know are changing phones for it then the HTC "Facebook" phone should have been a success rather than a total failure.

Apple doesn't need to do ANYTHING but let Facebook die on it's own.

10. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

My thoughts exactly, changing to Android just because of the Facebook app? just plain stupid, I use Facebook less and less, and every time more people are closing their accounts.

If I were to change to Android, it would have to be for something other that just the Facebook app.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I prefer the iOS FB app on my Mini and 4S over the Android FB app for my Nexus 4 and 7.

I think every app on iOS is just better over the Android versions, one reason why my 4S is my phone now and my Nexus 4 is collecting dust.

12. drtyrell thread starter macrumors member

drtyrell

Apologies for causing so many nerd panties to bind suddenly.

I remember Apple helping developers back in the day to get gaming performance acceptable in the mid-90s. I'm only suggesting that this be considered for the Facebook app.

As for FB's popularity, well, I think we kid ourselves about it not being that popular. Where else does one go for social media? Old man Twitter? I doubt it.

It's safe to say I spend more time looking at a blank or frozen screen than I do content.

My friends are flocking to the Galaxy Note 3. Partially due to the performance problems of their legacy iPhones, and partially due to the bigger screen. I think folks are having a problem watching their iPhone get hobbled intentionally by OS upgrades. To continue in the Apple phone line is to ensure this process will continue indefinitely. Android, which I've never been a fan of, continues to perform well years later.

----------

Interesting. I was going to ask, I have no experience with any Android phone. I do however watch my friends at bars monster through their app with lightening speed.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use the facebook app on both iPhone 4s and an iPad 3 and have no problems. why would anyone dump a phone simply because of problems with one minor app? It would be like selling your car because you didn't like the way an add-on dashboard gps didn't work

14. davidra macrumors 6502

NONE of my friends have left iPhone for Android. Many more coming the other way. The FB app may be lacking some features, but I have never had it freeze or not open. I have some issues with iOS7 but hopefully they'll be fixed. Before you complain about iPhone apps, you should spend some time with Android. It is marginal at best.

15. bozzykid macrumors 68020

The current version of the iOS and Android app have almost the same 3.5 rating. I don't believe what you are saying to be true at all.

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Well I for one would like to agree with you. Not about switching ecosystems because of Facebook. That's one of the most ludicrous things ever. BUT, the Facebook app, while never being that good, has gotten a lot worse. I even deleted it off my phone until this latest update because i found it to be unusable. It's slow to boot up, once I'm in the app it's slow to respond to anything. It locks up very frequently, and it leaves many aspects of the app very unusable. The latest update has helped some, but I still find it to be fairly unusable.

I'm glad many on here are not experiencing these issues but some of you are backing it only because it's an iOS app. Have these forums really fallen so low that we will defend a Facebook iOS app because it's an app for iOS ?! If someone said these same things about the android version, and some here have, all responses are "well obviously." Just because it's an iOS app doesn't mean it can't suck.

Cheers OP.

17. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I must actually partially agree at least with the OP, I use the Facebook app and it is very slow to load and can take about 10 seconds at times. It is frustrating when such a big company can release such an unoptimised app.

However this is on an iPhone 4 and I realise there are limitations. At no point would I switch to Android because of an app as there are other Facebook apps other than the official one available. once loaded it does work fine, maybe just needs some work by Facebook.

18. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

Fine for me on my iPhone 5. My friend has a 3Gs though and it takes like a minute for the app to even load.

19. chrisaster macrumors regular

You're right - it functions much quicker on android. When you click on a notification it takes ages to load the message which is very annoying and time consuming...

Would prefer to tap the message and it's already loaded...

This could be due to the way ios functions with notifications though.

20. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Even on the iPhone 4 once loaded the response is very fast between notification, chats etc.

21. indianavtx macrumors member

Let them go. Who gives a ****?

22. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

father forgive them for they know not what they do...
    switching to Android because one app is not working properly - oh the irony.. (used android devices for 3 years)

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't have any issues nor I never had. 3GS, 4S and now 5S.

----------

lol, I guess people have to make excuses for moving to an android device.

24. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

It is pretty clunky on my iPhone 4, but so is LinkedIn. I mostly attribute this to the fact that I'm using a 3 year old phone on an OS that was designed and optimized for a freshly released phone.