Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Let me give you a reality check. Have you used Facebook on anything other than the iOS app? The website itself, on a current computer, is slower to update than on iOS and hangs frequently. It isn't the app, it's the amount of users and Facebook's backend that is the slow down.

As for the iOS app it has gotten a lot faster and more feature rich (they finally added post/comment editing and posting pictures in comments). If you think it's slow and buggy now you obviously haven't used it on iOS 6 last year or don't remember (before the total rewrite). Half the time it wouldn't show notifications. I'm sure it's not incredibly fast on a 4 but on a 5+ it's actually more usable than the website.

It's currently still buggy and somewhat crash prone (maybe a few times a week) but no where near how bad it used to be (crashed multiple times a day without fail).

Last edited:

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
You must have something wrong with your device or app. Did you try deleting the app and reinstalling? I'm using FB app on both an iPad 4 and iPhone 5 with no issues whatsoever. Ditto on my daughter's iPhone 4s and son's iPhone 4. All of us use it multiple times an hour.

Regarding users flocking away from FB, they may be using additional social channels (Instagram, Twitter, etc.) but they hardly abandoning FB. Who was it that said kid's don't want to use iPhones anymore because their parents do? Must be on the same drugs....

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
If you're letting Facebook decide which OS platform your mobile phone runs then you seriously need to get a life.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Oh, I dunno... leave the house? Hang out with real people? Get a date maybe?
Sounds great until you move away from everyone you grew up with and still want to stay in touch. People use Facebook because it allows them to be social with others that aren't necessarily in their current area. As much as you don't understand why someone likes Facebook I don't understand why someone doesn't. It's much faster and more useful to read up on how they are doing and see pictures of their kids, etc. than it is to call everyone constantly.

Oh, and not everyone is still single. Yeah, so ....

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
When I had the GS4, while typing in the Facebook app, the whole phone restarted and when I opened the app again, I was logged out. The Facebook app on iOS could be better, but it's much better than what I got on Android or at least that version of it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have more friends complaining about how poorly he Facebook app works for them on their Android phones, and almost none who complain how it works on their iPhone. So, what does that say? Pretty much that there really isn't a particular widespread or horrible issue with the app on any platform--just thst some people have different kinds of issues with the app in different platforms, as is the case with many apps in general. Facebook just has probably way more users than most other apps, so the number of people who might have some sort of issues with it can easily be arger compared to other apps mainly just because of that.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I don't have as many complaints about the app as I used to. My main issue lately is the delay in notifications coming up. So when I open the app and look around and then close it the red number pops up on the app icon but it wasn't there in the app. And of course when I re-open the app it's there. The Facebook app used to be pretty awful but it has definitely gotten better.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Oh hey, it's one of those threads where some people on the Internet criticize other people on the Internet for allegedly not having a life because they're on the Internet.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Undoubtedly the Facebook App on the iOS is the most dysfunctional app in the entire Apple iTunes App store. I've personally witnessed half a dozen folks move to Android due to not being able to bring up the app and execute typing, read message, etc., in a timely manner.

I think Apple needs to assist. What do you think?

I think you need a snickers, to get rid of your inner diva.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Undoubtedly the Facebook App on the iOS is the most dysfunctional app in the entire Apple iTunes App store. I've personally witnessed half a dozen folks move to Android due to not being able to bring up the app and execute typing, read message, etc., in a timely manner.

I think Apple needs to assist. What do you think?

Interesting trolling attempt. There are no serious problems, it may not (and is not) a perfect application but there is no widespread problem.

Nice try

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Apologies for causing so many nerd panties to bind suddenly.

I remember Apple helping developers back in the day to get gaming performance acceptable in the mid-90s. I'm only suggesting that this be considered for the Facebook app.

Except most people aren't experiencing this issues. The Facebook app runs great on my year old iPhone 5 and my friend's iPhone 4S. I'm sure it's even better on the 5s.

My friends are flocking to the Galaxy Note 3. Partially due to the performance problems of their legacy iPhones, and partially due to the bigger screen. I think folks are having a problem watching their iPhone get hobbled intentionally by OS upgrades. To continue in the Apple phone line is to ensure this process will continue indefinitely. Android, which I've never been a fan of, continues to perform well years later.

So they're moving to a new Android phone because their old iPhone had performance problems? How does this even make any sense? Do they somehow think a new iPhone would perform the same as their old one? Not trying to imply that it's illogical to switch to Android, but that sure is a poor reason to do so.

And no, Apple does not intentionally "hobble" older devices. They actually support devices older than two years old unlike the vast majority of Android manufacturers. As hardware gets newer, software is written to take advantage of that new hardware. The iPhone 5s is twice as fast as the 5, which is twice as fast as the 4S, which is twice as fast as the 4. It's completely unreasonable to expect remotely similar performance from an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5s. Did the iPhone 4 run iOS 4 far better than it runs iOS 7 now? You better believe it! Look at how much more demanding today's apps are compared to the apps of 2010. Look at how different iOS 7 is compared to iOS 4, both externally (visual translucency, for example) and internally (APIs and features).

Now, as to Android "performing well years later"- you must have a funny definition of "well", because older Android phones (many of which are stuck on Gingerbread) absolutely do not perform well. The state of Android is much better now than it was a few years ago, so this is a topic worth revisiting in 2015 or so. But phones released around the time of the iPhone 4 absolutely didn't stand the test of time.

I'm sorry the Facebook app is terrible for you and your friends, but you're really making a mountain out of a molehill.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Hahahahahahahaha the best joke today. Since FB has a "bad" app on iOS you guys moved to Android which has an ever crappier FB app?!:eek:

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Let them go. Who gives a ****?

This. Chances are high that they'll come crawling back, especially going to Samsung.

Seeing as they are on an old iPhone (about 3-4 years old) compare it to old Android phones, not the Note 3. Also, if they have the app installed a while, and it is used a lot, tell them to delete and uninstall to delete cache of unneeded data.

----------

Hahahahahahahaha the best joke today. Since FB has a "bad" app on iOS you guys moved to Android which has an ever crappier FB app?!:eek:

I actually uninstalled it on my Nexus 7 because I got no notifications or notifications that were dismissed on iOS. Results vary though.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Apologies for causing so many nerd panties to bind suddenly.

I remember Apple helping developers back in the day to get gaming performance acceptable in the mid-90s. I'm only suggesting that this be considered for the Facebook app.

As for FB's popularity, well, I think we kid ourselves about it not being that popular. Where else does one go for social media? Old man Twitter? I doubt it.

It's safe to say I spend more time looking at a blank or frozen screen than I do content.

Have you tried to delete the app and re install it? It may make difference! I have used FB on my iPhone 5 and now on my iPhone 5s but to be honest I have no issues. It have sometime it's moments but is lot better then it used to be.

As for the FB popularity, there are always 3 kind of people: 1-Ones who love something, 2- Ones who don't, or don't care about something, 3- Ones who hate something. The ones who hate it will always try to tell you how something is not popular, is crap, useless and all that BS. It's always good to ignore this group. Personally I am not a huge fan of FB but I use it frequently and helps me stay in touch with my friends and relatives around the globe.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The Facebook app on iOS does have some issues. It's annoying but not the end of the world. To be honest, the app used to be a LOT worse. I do prefer the Facebook app on Android to the one on iOS, but it certainly isn't the reason that I switched.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
iOS FB app is much better and it's built for one handed use. Simple gestures like flicking up in a photo to minimize it doesn't happen on Android.

Speaking of Android's FB, the chat head labels that are system wide become a pain in the ass after the first day and just a waste of space on your screen. It's bad enough we have a lot of our info loaded on FB, I refuse to chat in FB for IM/MSG/Mail and don't want to feed them even more personal data for their marketing allocation.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
If some people base their entire use of a phone on a single application, it's fine for them to choose the best device at it.
Claiming that a single bugged application is killing an OS is nonsense. I have never heard people jumping from a platform to another if not for work related applications, and never on a mobile OS.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Facebook app has always been slow, no better/worse with iOS7 with respect to performance but general updates have been positive. My view is that the facebook servers are overloaded/underspecified. There is no way I'd change my iPhone due to facebook, not in a million years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.