FACEBOOK & CHAT for iPad - Friends with Benefits - Update

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ThanatosId, Apr 15, 2011.

1. ThanatosId, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

Hi Everyone.

I'm really excited to announce that we've just released our new Facebook app, Facebook & Chat for iPad - Friends with Benefits!

I've been using the website since the iPad was released because I haven't been thrilled with the mobile versions that have been released in the App store. I need the full functionality that just hasn't been offered yet.

We're providing the FULL Facebook website with over 20 handcrafted themes in version 1.0 that will completely change the way Facebook looks. We've had so much fun doing this and we really think you'll love it. No more blue & white!!

We are going to continue to create as many themes as our minds can conjure and really look forward to getting requests from all of you. Let us know what you want and we'll do our best to make it happen.

We're launching at the sales price of $0.99 and you can follow this link to the iTunes store.
    Facebook & Chat for iPad - Friends with Benefits

I really look forward to any feedback you're willing to give!

~Rob

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      376.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      416.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      286.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      371.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      440.4 KB
      Views:
  2. caubeck, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

caubeck macrumors 6502

It looks good, downloading right now. But that's a weird name.

I didn't know the expression, possibly because of my age, the time I spend abroad each year or because I don't watch TV.

In any case, now I know, thanks.

Edit: very nice Facebook app, congrats!

3. david77 macrumors regular

Font size/buttons/clickable areas need to be larger. It's a good start.

4. ThanatosId thread starter macrumors regular

ThanatosId

I knew we should have Beta tested over the pond ;). We're hoping the name will relate well enough to Facebook while also making some people smile because of it's American reference. Thanks so much for downloading it, I really hope you enjoy it!!

5. caubeck macrumors 6502

My fault, I expect, for not being hip enough. No doubt I'm the last Englishman standing who didn't recognize the expression. Anyway, good luck with the app!

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I got it, and I really like it. I like that it has all the functionality of the browser-based interface. Nice themes too; all of them very readable. Thanks!

7. ThanatosId thread starter macrumors regular

ThanatosId

Thanks RedWarrior! I really appreciate it!

David, Adjustable Font Sizes will be in one of our first updates.

Thank you both for downloading it.

8. outphase, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

outphase macrumors 65816

I can't seem to access the app. The link doesn't work, and clicking on it via a search won't pull it up. Maybe Apple pulled it because of the name?

edit: seems to be back now.

edit 2: upon further inspection, I don't think this app is for me. It appears that it still loads the standard Facebook site but with an additional CSS layer to theme the site accordingly. I'm looking for something that makes the browsing process better from a functionality standpoint, not a visual one.

The themes look nice though!

9. Project macrumors 68020

I'd suggest you are in the minority. I'm in the UK and Friends with Benefits means one thing and one thing only.

10. caubeck macrumors 6502

11. ThanatosId thread starter macrumors regular

ThanatosId

Hey everyone,
    I just wanted to thank those who downloaded the app. It was a great first day and I can't wait to see how this ride will go.

It was buried in my first post, so I just wanted to reiterate... We really want to make this about our users. If you see something inspiring around you and you think it would make a great theme, let us know. Our main goal is to create as many looks as we can to keep Facebook exciting for you.

Thanks Again!!

Rob

12. JJ Green macrumors newbie

I just finished signing up to macrumors so I could let you know I love this app. I am on facebook often so it is great to have a customized feel that looks great. I recommend this app for everyone. Great value for $ .99, actually you probably could have this app around $2.99 - $4.99. Although I am only mentioning that now that I have already purchased it:) Thanks
    Jason

13. mojohojo macrumors regular

You signed up just to recommend this app...hmm...right.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

welcome to the english language where words have many many meanings.

15. ThanatosId thread starter macrumors regular

ThanatosId

Funny! I'm actually not affiliated with JJ.

Speaking of which... JJ, thank you so much for that response, it really means a lot to me!

16. caubeck macrumors 6502

Welcome to the art of naming products in the English language, where choosing the right words is a risky business.

Now I've educated myself on the meaning of "friends with benefits" I feel much richer for it, by the way.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Friends with benefits means something else altogether here in the U.S. and it has nothing to do with this app. :D

18. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

When I saw the thread title, thats exactly what I thought!

19. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Ditto

20. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

quite fitting then considering all of the people on facebook all day long with no jobs to go to. lol

21. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

22. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

I live in Brazil, born and raised here, and even I know that 'friends with benefits' means something that's... Not very proper for an application name. Just my opinion but I'd change the name of the app if I were you... I almost chuckled when I saw the title.

Sent from my Motorola Milestone 2 using Tapatalk

23. ThanatosId, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

ThanatosId thread starter macrumors regular

ThanatosId

This is a really interesting conversation and one that I didn't expect. We chose the name knowing that it would turn a head or two and be memorable for it's multiple implications. The most important of which is that Facebook keeps you connected with friends and we have added so many themes and optimizations that benefit and enhance the experience.
    The fact that so many of the recent comments have focused on the name makes me feel that it's a good thing... People have made a point to mention it, therefor they've committed it to memory and will recognize it when they see it in the store or remember it when it's hopefully mentioned to a friend :). It kind of goes back to "there's no such thing bad press".

24. kioshi macrumors member

kioshi

Wouldn't bother me, but I can't give a proper answer because as I said I'm Brazilian and I don't think any of my friends, even the ones who speak English very well, know what this expression means...

But maybe it could have a negative impact on American women? Because when I saw the title of your app I lol'ed a bit, kinda like us guys do, no matter the age, when someone says something that can be associated with sex. Just my opinion of course :) I don't even have an iPad because Apple sucks here and they charge USD 1k for the cheapest ipad, and I can buy an intel i5 notebook from Dell with that, so I'm waiting until I travel to get an Ipad2, Ipad3 or some other tablet depending on how the Android tablets evolve (btw your app looks beautiful I bet you could sell it well if you port it to the new Honeycomb tablets like Motorola Xoom and etc :D ).

25. mojohojo macrumors regular

perhaps the app should be more than just another facebook viewing app. perhaps then the app would become successful even faster ;)