Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
This is a really interesting conversation and one that I didn't expect. We chose the name knowing that it would turn a head or two and be memorable for it's multiple implications. The most important of which is that Facebook keeps you connected with friends and we have added so many themes and optimizations that benefit and enhance the experience.
The fact that so many of the recent comments have focused on the name makes me feel that it's a good thing... People have made a point to mention it, therefor they've committed it to memory and will recognize it when they see it in the store or remember it when it's hopefully mentioned to a friend :). It kind of goes back to "there's no such thing bad press".
This question isn't intended as a jab or as sarcasm, it's genuine interest to better improve: Does the name offend anyone or turn you off from purchasing the app??
I wasn't going to say anything about it, but since you asked. ;)

I think it's good marketing and bad marketing. There are apps that I have never looked at because of their name, and apps that I looked at specifically because of their name. This definitely could fit into either category!

I investigated it because you posted about it here. I like the app a lot and use it every day now. I went in to FB and liked it. At the same time I had also liked my daughter's church. So on my FB page it said that I "like <church name> Church and Friends with Benefits. :eek: That doesn't bother me at all - I've been known to post things just for shock value and my friends and family know that, so NBD.

HOWEVER
I am looking for a job and just recently attended a social media workshop - using social media to increase the effectiveness of my job search and brand myself. So this is where the concern lies for me. I'm not really worried about this because I think that if an employer is looking that intently into my online persona that s/he will take a look at what the app is about anyway. But it did make me stop and consider it. I am overly-sensitive right now about how I appear to potential employers and have been known to take things off of my online pages because of it.

I know that this doesn't help you much. Kinda a "maybe" answer to your question above. :eek:

But yeah, I like the app a lot. :)

kioshi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Brazil
I just thought of something. When I post on facebook using my favorite mobile app, it says 'posted Thursday at 00:06 via Flow for Android' at the end of the post (in my browser the exact time appears because of an extension, better facebook), or 'via Tumblr, via Hootsuite', whatever app/site I'm using to post to facebook, like when iPhone users post a photo a it's usually 'via instagram' or 'facebook for iPhone' or something else.

I don't care about apps' names as long as I like them but if my posts appear as 'posted via Friends with Benefits' I definitely wouldn't buy it, even though 80% of my friends on the site wouldn't catch the 'secondary meaning' of the expression because most are Brazilian.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
but if my posts appear as 'posted via Friends with Benefits'

Because we're optimizing the full Facebook website and adding themes, the post won't show a "Friends with Benefits" tags. Great question though.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
It's a huge improvement over 'Friendly' which I just deleted. It's a real hunk of crap and always has been.

Like it so far, definitely worth 99 cents. I hope you are committed to keeping it fresh and up-to-date!

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
was looking for a new app since friendly has been broken for days. your app looks cool, but my wife didnt like the name, so she wouldnt let me put it on her ipad :(

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
was looking for a new app since friendly has been broken for days. your app looks cool, but my wife didnt like the name, so she wouldnt let me put it on her ipad :(

Yikes. When the app is installed, the name below the icon is simply "Friends". I hope that helps persuade a bit.

ChiefPavvy, we are committed to keeping this very fresh. Thanks for the remarks and thanks for downloading it.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Yikes. When the app is installed, the name below the icon is simply "Friends". I hope that helps persuade a bit.

ChiefPavvy, we are committed to keeping this very fresh. Thanks for the remarks and thanks for downloading it.

Talked her into it. She likes it more than friendly for sure. Chat function doesn't appear to work at all. If I use any theme besides standard fb some of the user input field boxes get drawn off the screen on the right.

Over all it's definitely on the right track.

Last edited:

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Hey everyone,
Thanks to all of you that have downloaded the app. Facebook did make a change on their side that's effected chat reliability for almost all iPad apps. We've worked really hard to find a fix and are testing the it now to submit to Apple ASAP. We're also adding the ability to change font sizes and type in this update.
Again, thank you, and we hope you're enjoying Friends with Benefits for Facebook.

Rob

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Friends with benefits means something else altogether here in the U.S. and it has nothing to do with this app. :D

Yeah, I'm in the UK and it only means one thing to me too. TBH, I think my wife would freak out if she saw an app called "Friends with Benefits" on my iPad :D

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, I'm in the UK and it only means one thing to me too. TBH, I think my wife would freak out if she saw an app called "Friends with Benefits" on my iPad :D

yeah, mine didnt like it either. luckily it only says "friends" when installed. its prob definitely turned off a chunk of potential customers for sure.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
We submitted the update to Apple yesterday with the Chat fix and some significant visual chat enhancements. We've also added font management (size and style) and a lot of additional polish. I'll post again as soon as the update has been released. Thanks everyone!

Mitch2742

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Kind of an awful name, imo, but I'm considering purchasing it. Just waiting for some more reviews because I've spent too much money on apps lately!

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
ThanatosId any chance of adding a PIN-lock and multi-user support? Those would be 2 key features I'd be looking at, if not now, down the road.

Otherwise I really like the client, it is a big improvement from that hunk of junk called Friendly. Glad to see you are updating it.

patchel

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
Finally, my search for the perfect Facebook app for the iPad has come to an end! This is the best so far IMO.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks for the great feedback guys!

cheifpavvy, Great suggestions, we'll put them on our list. We think this app can fill a pretty big need in the app store and we plan on adding as much as we can to make this the best Facebook experience possible.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
So far, the app is great! I like it better than Friendly. And, I think the name is clever. Keep up the good work!

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I think the name is catchy and I like the app! Can't believe some people wouldnt get it because of the name. Those people are probably needing a little fiber, just saying......

icerailson

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
I think the name is catchy and I like the app! Can't believe some people wouldnt get it because of the name. Those people are probably needing a little fiber, just saying......

As usual, I'm browsing the forum while on the can and I just said to myself "I probably need some fiber" just before reading your comment.

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Thanks Scorpio and Stockcerts for the positive feedback on the name :) and more importantly on the app itself. I really appreciate it.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
I've been using Facely, but as with many of the Facebook apps, the chat feature is less than desirable. It works ok, but there's no way to turn off and on different chat groups. Can this be done with Friends with Benefits?

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I've been using Facely, but as with many of the Facebook apps, the chat feature is less than desirable. It works ok, but there's no way to turn off and on different chat groups. Can this be done with Friends with Benefits?

Presently, we're using Facebook's Standard chat with some strong modifications (visually and functionally) to make it more usable on the iPad. Some of the biggest benefits are: 1. Tabs below the current conversation to quickly switch between Multiple chats. 2. The persons status will change to "chat bubbles" when that person is typing their response (very important to me so I'm not interrupting a friends thoughts). While I do think it's a much better experience than some of the others, there is room for growth. We plan on adding a lot with future updates. What you mention would be a great addition. We'll definitely look into it.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
London
everyone is comparing it with friendly, has anyone used friended before and if so how does it compare to it?

ThanatosId

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007

This was a great suggestion. I spent today adding this to the Chat portion of our app and it will be included in the next version. Thanks itsjustmeee!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.