facebook doesnt work on my first mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by groovdudeyo, Apr 7, 2009.

1. groovdudeyo macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

im pretty pissed the login button wont work and pressing return to log in wont work help please!!!!

2. cmaier macrumors G3

you're in the wrong forum

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Which browser are you using? Have you installed all of the system updates?

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Go to the Safari menu, in the upper-left corner of your screen. Select "Empty Cache". After this, try again.

5. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

its a power mac g4 with tiger on it and it needs a password or something to install software updates and the guy who gave me the mac has it and its too late to call him

and i cant figure out the empty cache thing

6. cmaier macrumors G3

You're posting in the wrong forum, being very demanding, with a suspicious story, and are apparently unable to follow simple directions.

I'm just summarizing.

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Safari is the Internet browser that comes standard with your Mac. If you're using Safari, here's how to reset the cache, which can often clean up little issues with various websites.

With Safari open, direct your cursor to the menu bar at the top of the screen. On the left side of the menu bar, you'll see a menu called "Safari" -- click on it. From here, choose "Empty Cache", which will present a small dialog box on your screen. Choose "Empty", which will clear out any previous files that are used by websites (including Facebook), which may be causing your problem. Now, attempt to login again.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you're using Safari, you should have these options (see attached). If you're OK with resetting all aspects of Safari and losing all info, I recommend choosing "Reset Safari."

Attached Files:

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yea facebook was a little fishy when i did a fresh install of 10.4 on my mini.

after system updates everything was fine.

you can try using this

http://themob.facebook.com/

it's a less cluttered version of facebook used on the iPhone

10. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

well thank you for your excellent analysis there i feel so much better now. that aside i dont want the guys name on all the programs and it was apparently my grandpas computer he bought it and had a business deal with the guy so now we have it back so I have no idea why this guy put his name all over this stuff so can I change the name and password or just create a new account and stuff?

nope no menu called safari

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Insert the OS X DVD that came with the computer, reinstall OS X. Completely Clean, all sorted.

If you dont know how to do that, take it to any Apple store, they'll do it for you.

12. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

will this get rid of all the programs that are installed that are quite expensive and i bet this guy that never kept his part of the business deal doesnt have the discs

13. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

Yes, there is.

14. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Open Safari. Along the top of your screen there's a big silver coloured bar. Top left of this there will be a blue apple, next to this in bold letters the word "Safari". Click it.

15. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

theres red yellow and green dots theres a book theres the back and forward buttons theres a tab called apple and amazon and ebay and yahoo! and a tab called news but NO BLUE APPLE and NO WORD SAFARI

16. Sfen macrumors newbie

Sfen

He said the top of your screen, not the top of your window, surely you know where the menubar is located, don't you?

17. jackerin macrumors 6502a

You do realize that using applications that you don't have a licence for is illegal, right?

18. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

This guy must have a custom version of Leopard and Safari
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Or is just über Mac-retarded. :rolleyes:

This is not Windows, dude. The MENU BAR is at the very top of the SCREEN. Work with us here.

If this is indeed you "grandpas computer" like you mentioned, then he should have all the programs' disks you need to re-install, and you should go ahead and do that. Fresh installs, especially after you get the computer from someone else, are highly recommended.

Or, just find the freaking guy again and make him give you the password. One way or another, if he changed that and didn't give you that info, and especially if you had something of a contract with him NOT to do that, then you have every right to track him down and kneecap him until he gives you the password :D

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Here's a picture of where the SAFARI menu is (I took a picture on Leopard, but it's the same for Tiger).

I circled it in red.

Attached Files:

21. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

Oh my gosh I am such an idiot I am so sorry i just didnt understand it was the top of the screen:(:(:(

22. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

well sorry not all of us can understand all of this new software from the first moment we turn it on and yes I am very uber mac retarded and im hating this so unless it gets easier sometime soon PCs rule!

23. groovdudeyo thread starter macrumors regular

groovdudeyo

so if my grandpa buys all this stuff and then some guy puts his name onto all of it which he was not supposed to do then its illegal?

24. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Don't worry about it. A lot of people here seem to be on their high and mighty horse in regards to even the smallest hint of anything that could be defined as piracy. If they belonged to your grandpa and this guy put his name on it, theoretically you can change it back.

Oh, and don't worry about the mac-retardedness. It will come quickly to you, spend a little bit with it and you will quickly grow to like it. We were all newbies at one point or another, a fact that some of us on here are quick to forget...