Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skewlovevism

Suspended
Aug 2, 2021
Japan
Hah, good luck with that.

I just hate the name “Meta” so much. Don’t even know what the word means
It's a common misspelling. It was supposed to be "METH", but the spelling corrector spoiled it for them, and they could not just admit the mistake, so they have left it at "META". The only plausible explanation :)

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Let me get this straight. Content creators, who create content for Facebook/Mettah, have to secure their income directly from their audience, AND Facebook intends to take a cut of that come 2023??? Why dont they simply offer to pay their content creators that are enriching their platform? So their argument here is that the big bad guy, Apple wants to STEAL an unfair amount of money for providing services and an audience, and yet they are the good guys because they aren't charging artists right now, just later, even though, in this scenario, the Facebook platform is enriched by the content and Apple's ecosystem is not. If Facebooks ecosystem is valuable, is not Apples? "Why pay the tax man when you can live in my country, and I won't charge taxes....right now...I will later, but dont worry about that. Also, bring as many people as you can to my country, we like their money. Isn't supporting artists so good of us???"
Great analogies. Sounds like they are aligning everything to be fattened and streamlined by making sure that the size of the pie they can take from in 2023 is as big and as untouched as possible for when they start collecting.

30% of something that was already 70% is equivalent to getting 21% of the full 100% source.

Also the small business itself wouldn’t get hit double, this could have been a big reason for “the AppStore fees make it difficult” mention.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Apple does not allow apps to offer alternative payment options for digital goods at the time, but Facebook is skirting this rule because creators are having people pay via the web, not Facebook, so it's a something of a gray area.

Facebook's entire business model is one big gray area, where greed intersects with an absence of morality and ethics.

Intersection is putting it mildly.

It's a complete and utter overlap of the two ?

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
I'm all for options on where to purchase content\apps and even sideloading. I will never be for Facebook ?

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
At this point, I suggest… everyone needs to delete Facebook. Humanity will be better off without Facebook. They are just out here to invade your privacy and make money. This isn’t going to stop. Your privacy and the money is on the line.
Answer is simple. Don’t use Facebook.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
One Caveat,
People who load Apps via Facebook should remember what the Great Zuck said in his early days when asked why people would give him all sorts of personal data.
MR will not allow me to quote verbatim:
"Dumb ****s",
But you could substitute one letter in his name:
Dumb Zucks"

KindJamz

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2021
Ok
Yep. We’d have riots in these forums. Especially when most here use Facebook.
Ikr. I deleted my account 2 years ago. Block them with AdGuard.

Dont think about them anymore. Well only when I come here and see all the whining about Facebook

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don't see that happening though. Facebooks problem was when they became a public company. They are obligated to come up with more and more ways to make more money. And when they do, it will never be enough. So they will come up with even more daft ideas and schemes to make more cash. But people carry on using their services regardless, so it's win-win for them.

As an example the huge public outcry over WhatsApp's intrusive privacy changes lasted all of 10 seconds. Now it's even more popular than it was during the height of the outrage.

Things move quickly in this time in our new history. Like my idea of dumping AT&T (I came up with months ago) due to their near complete funding of a 'new network' which is a source of horrific disinformation and malignancy. But what are the options. In many areas, AT&T could be the only option between having internet service, and not. I looked into the options decades ago, and DSL was still a very possible option, and the speeds were respectable, for the time. Now? I can't find a provider that still supports it. AT&T has forced their customers off of it, and on to U-Verse. And home phones lines? AT&T has pushed removal of traditional POTS service like it's a cancer about to kill the company. Hard line phone service is the best for a changing world effected by climate change, the phone always worked, unless the 'back office' died. AT&T effectively marooned their customers, but they saved billions pushing them onto notoriously early unreliable VOIP services. (Yeah, I'm pissed and mystified why they did that. It trashed any idea of 'public good' from them)

So I rambled a bit, but the idea of dumping AT&T is on the top of my list, and yet what are the choices. Spectrum. That's it, and they aren't any possible variation of Lilly White either! Look at home improvement, the big box stores, your choice is openly toxic and obnoxious, and just mildly horrific. It takes time to research that change...

But, if people want to dump Facebook, there is life after Facebook. I followed a suggestion of someone who said 'take a week off, and look at the totality of the Facebook experience. All the good, and also all of the bad and horrific'. I did, and had the realization that I hated logging on to Facebook many times, and some times that I had logged onto it, I realized it was a waste of time. I think what hooks people on Facebook is the possibility of changing someones mind on an issue. And the truth is, it rarely happens. I looked at the 'Block List', and it was a lot longer than I though it was. And looking at the names, it brought up all of those interactions, and just brought the whole futility of Facebook into batter focus.

And I wasn't wading into the sewers of Facebook. I was in groups on bicycle riding, and Peloton, and physics, and a few other interests. There were mean and illogical people on ALL of them. People determined to trash and textually destroy people. And the stalkers, and the sniping, and all of it. I started deleting my history that very day. It took a while, but I got all of my history deleted, or at least so I couldn't see it anymore. (It occasionally came back on its own too, which was disturbing, and shocking)

People stay on Facebook out of laziness, and abused spouse syndrome. 'It's not always that toxic' 'I have lots of fast friends here'

No, it's always that toxic, the potential is there 100% of the time.

No, most lurk, and many don't even watch what you are doing on the platform. I was attacked by past friends who moved on, changed, and were nearly unrecognizable. Facebook pushes a fantasy. It's all they have. And that Facebook allowed anonymity, they encouraged obnoxious behavior.

Having left Facebook, I'm fine. I miss some of the people I communicated with, but the toxicity in my life is gone from that platform, and the time I wasted is put to other things. I won, Zuck lost.

On hindsight, I recognized their 'algorithm', and adjusted my account to try to end the toxicity, but it would flip back at a whim. I had to, it seemed monthly, adjust my timeline to keep the crap to a minimum. I didn't care what someone I didn't know said about something I cared about, and all the other crap. *GONE*

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
No one can rival Facebook. It's firmly established with 2.91 billion monthly active users. No one can knock them off their perch. They have more power than most governments & should never have been allowed to get so dominant.

Facebook & Google have more power over what people can say and do than anything else on the planet. Both can silence and shut anyone down whenever they feel like it.

People never thought Blackberry would tumble, or that Apple would be come the trillion company it has become. Stranger things have happened.
Sure it’s a daunting task, but you have to start somewhere.
People joined en masse to create Facebook. The opposite has to happen.
If only there were an alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.