Facebook Messenger Launches Standalone Video and Text Chat App for macOS and Windows

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today launched a standalone Messenger app for macOS and Windows platforms, allowing users to video and text chat with friends and family from their desktop computer. Along with all of the expected features, Messenger on macOS supports Dark Mode.

The Messenger app connects directly to your Facebook account, so you can chat with existing friends without needing an email or phone number. These chats will sync across the mobile and desktop versions of Messenger as well.

Facebook said that it has noticed "more than a 100% increase" in people using web browsers for audio and video calling on Facebook Messenger, leading to the launch of the new app. For those interested, it's available on the Mac App Store and Microsoft Store from today.

Article Link: Facebook Messenger Launches Standalone Video and Text Chat App for macOS and Windows

Freeangel1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
Good timing.
6.6 million applied for unemployment this week
last week was 3.3 million unemployed.
that's 10 million in 2 weeks unemployed and its projected to go to 50 million

So a lot of people will be home either working or not and need a good video conferencing APP for the Mac

Reactions: tyasjs

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
Well they certainly picked the right time to release it. Don’t know about you guys but here in Toronto the various telephone providers networks have been up and down like a yoyo. Much as I dislike Facebook, the fact is I was only able to maintain an audio connection through the use Messenger once this week.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Good timing.
6.6 million applied for unemployment this week
last week was 3.3 million unemployed.
that's 10 million in 2 weeks unemployed and its projected to go to 50 million.
Where have you seen that projection of 50M unemployed people?

If things get that bad, I think it's worse than doing nothing at all... much like Coronavirus kills people by having the immune system overreact and destroy the lungs, we'd be overreacting and kill society.

Reactions: RevTEG

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
I'm sure that there will be a lot of "facebook bad" posts, but I quite like this - I know it's electron, but it's faster and lighter than Caprine and I like having something officially supported.

Facebook just broke video and voice calling on Caprine when the official macOS app went into limited release. Intentional or not it's a good reason not to use 3rd party apps when there is a 1st party alternative.

Last edited:
Reactions: ppetrovic

w5jck

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2013
Meh....Facecrap Messaging is the worst messaging app I’ve ever used. I tell my Facecrap friends to text or email me, or pick up the darn phone and call. About 90% of Facecrap messages are from idiot friends or even friends of friends trying to raise money or they are shameless ads. A worthless app IMO. TBH, most of my Facecrap friends are people I knew way back when in school or when growing up. They are NOT the people I typically think of as CURRENT and CLOSE friends. Many of them are from my extended family and I’ve rarely even seen them in person over the past few decades. So very few of my Facecrap friends are people that I desire to exchange messages with on a regular basis. So like I began this reply I’ll end it, meh...

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
Meh....Facecrap Messaging is the worst messaging app I’ve ever used. I tell my Facecrap friends to text or email me, or pick up the darn phone and call. About 90% of Facecrap messages are from idiot friends or even friends of friends trying to raise money or they are shameless ads. A worthless app IMO. TBH, most of my Facecrap friends are people I knew way back when in school or when growing up. They are NOT the people I typically think of as CURRENT and CLOSE friends. Many of them are from my extended family and I’ve rarely even seen them in person over the past few decades. So very few of my Facecrap friends are people that I desire to exchange messages with on a regular basis. So like I began this reply I’ll end it, meh...
C'mon man, "Facecrap" isn't even a good play on Facebook - you could have just as easily gone with "Facepoop"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.