Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I like your perspective?

Yet I think Facebook has a point about free websites. But maybe we could go back to actually paying for something’s worth and rather opt in for ads if we want sites discounted or free. I guess we have to get used to more paywalled sites anyway if more and more people block ads.

And your reasoning should definitely be used for tracking and data harvesting. And I think that the next logical step is to regulate the whole tracking industry and let individuals own their data themselves.With royalties. So that those who want to harvest our “resource” of data would pay us and even give us a share every time it is resold.
I think precedent should be set that we are not selling our IP, if we agree to let someone have it we are licensing it to them with strict terms about how it can be used, for what purposes, and for how long.

Reactions: Commodore 64

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Question : How many complaining about Facebook on this thread are actually on Facebook?

Using FaceBook doesn’t stop you from discussing their practices and alternate revenue models.

I use Facebook on my Mac using a profile on the Brave browser, only for FB. I have a pi-hole tracking/ ad filtering device on my network and also use 1Blocker.

When mobile, I access FB from Brave Browser, which is only used for Facebook. I use Lockdown Privacy and 1Blocker on my iPhone/ iPad.

I would be open to the following options:

1) Free access in return for cross site/ app tracking and targeted ads.
2) A monthly subscription for access with zero ads and zero cross site/ app tracking - say $8pm.
3) A 50% reduced monthly subscription, you still see ads and are tracked BUT you are paid 5% of the revenue facebook makes for every time your profile is monetised.

Everybody is a winner.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Honestly, I am getting quite sick of ads on websites. I have 2560x1440 resolution. There are some websites that ONLY have about 500x600 resolution devoted to the content. Everything else is ads. There are many websites I like, but stopped visiting because of the ads. I really wish more websites would act like Macrumors. I would gladly pay for an enhanced account that does not include ads.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Question : How many complaining about Facebook on this thread are actually on Facebook?
I don't use Facebook, which is precisely the whole problem for me, because I am aware that Facebook continues to track me across the websites and apps I use, and build a profile on me, and there is evidently no way of telling Facebook to stop doing this.

So at the end of the day, it seems like Apple is the only company actually offering users an alternative if they want out of being tracked by Google and Facebook, in the form of their own native apps and services (eg: maps / safari supporting DDG / Apple Music / Siri / iMessage etc). 1blocker in safari and lockdown on apps.

I cannot not stop using google services entirely, but I am hoping that I can in the very least impede their ability to collect data on me. But I am dismayed that I still have to go to such an extent, and hope for a day when users don't have to go out of their way just to have better control over their privacy and security.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Honestly, I am getting quite sick of ads on websites. I have 2560x1440 resolution. There are some websites that ONLY have about 500x600 resolution devoted to the content. Everything else is ads. There are many websites I like, but stopped visiting because of the ads. I really wish more websites would act like Macrumors. I would gladly pay for an enhanced account that does not include ads.

Macrumors has a high number of trackers on their website, one of which is Facebook...tracking you even if you don’t have a profile.

5611AC22-3A5C-43B3-8034-7F925DDAB9E1.png

warp9

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2017
Facebook would be a lot more successful if they started offering the web ‘ad free’ for $5 or $10 a month.
As the rest of your post proves, this is not true. People don't care about ads or tracking or privacy. People will not pay money for it, regardless of consequence.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
As the rest of your post proves, this is not true. People don't care about ads or tracking or privacy. People will not pay money for it, regardless of consequence.
What? What’s not true. I pay money for internet I want. Millions already do. More would if it wasn’t so hard. Facebook and google do everything they can to prevent you the customer from paying for content up to and including destroying entire product categories just to make the barrier of entry by competitors as difficult as possible. I think most people accept ads because they don’t know about alternatives or they were effectively removed or they don’t understand their actual cost. I believe the latter is slowly changing.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Advertising did just fine before tracking.
Exactly.

I’m curious and willing to entertain this idea though... is it really possible that suddenly the internet will become more expensive? Is there any merit on what Facebook says? (Beyond the blatant thirst to claw into users information). Or maybe, MAYBE, the whole thing will clean itself up... maybe there won’t be 45 random apps, but two or three ones so SO good that the $5 entry fee is just behind worthy. Would that be good too?

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
I am very confused. Is FB saying we don't have a right to privacy?
Yes - that's exactly correct. If your desire for privacy interferes with their need to profit from the data they collect from you, that's a Bad Thing and must be stopped. You, the FB user, are merely product. That's at the root of their business model.

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
Not some "small business owners" are the problem, facebook is. No small business owner is tracking you - Facebook is - and makes bis billions out of it.
So... **** you, f**kbook. No need at all to use or even install that crap of your's.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
When I said car dealerships should pay me if they want to put their lots name on my bumper (or gosh, back window) people said ‘no, it’s cool’ or ‘no one even notices it’.
omg, last car I bought didn’t have it on there - I told them if they added it that night during detail I’d walk. I cared that much about “free advertising”. I’ve also sworn to NEVER buy at a dealership here in my area that always put them on crooked. It looks like crap - at least make your free advertising not look like a 2yo put it on. If you care that little about how my car looks, you for sure don’t deserve the free ad.

nice to meet someone that feels the same!

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Just wanted to chime in here as another small business owner. I have absolutely no issue with Apple’s stance on this.

I already pay subscription fees/other fees to host my small business with Shopify, Etsy, and others. Never once have I paid for ads- not a cent- and I do just fine.

Ive focused on building my business up completely organically. Of course, a few years ago Facebook altered their algorithm that caused my content I posted to appear on my customers newsfeeds far less- a VERY obvious move to get me to pay for ads.

So as an actual small business owner, I can confidently say “**** you” to Facebook. While I can’t deny that FB has helped my business grow, it certainly wasn’t due to ads and as of late it’s felt that they are actively making it harder for me. They are not some bastion of small businesses, and do not let them trick you into thinking they are.

Reactions: quatermass

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
Facebook aside, I really don’t see how any user in the Apple ecosystem could conceivably oppose to this move.
There might be those who could not care less about privacy and oppose the pop-up question as bothering them.
Miscrosoft once pushed the pop-ups too far with windows vista for the general public's taste as well - AFAIK they did it out of (valid) security concerns, yet the average windows user didn't care enough.

Last edited:

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
how about getting rid of targeted ads and just show relevant ads depending on where they are shown?

like, ads for shoes on a clothing website, or food related stuff on for websites? independent of who is watching and where someone is watching?
Conversion rates, probably. Facebook probably has data that indicates that targeted ads drive interactions, while contextual ads may not to the same extent. Of course, just because it drives more ad interactions doesn’t make it right to build an in-depth advertising profile, without users‘ (or even non-users’) permissions, in order to sell more stuff to them or to get permission but to deliberately obfuscate just what you collect in order to collect more. Or to collect seemingly innocuous data without revealing just how valuable that seemingly innocuous data is.

SocialKonstruct

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Midvale, UT
The fact that Facebook wasted so much money on ads shows how stupid the company is.
At least Apple is helping out the people by warning of ad tracking. Facebook just wants to control our minds and destroy them like the movie Scanners.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
Sir, I think you should consider using Brave as your browser of choice:

View attachment 1696905

I actually turned off Lockdown, 1Blocker and my Pi-hole to get safari to recognise those trackers ?. I use Brave for it’s individual profiles for Internet Banking, Facebook and Work leaving Safari for my everyday browsing due to it’s speed.

The interesting thing is that Safari picked up 9 trackers and your screenshot shows Brave only picking up 5. Are you behind any other network level blocking? I wonder if Brave is missing some due to Safari’s Intelligent Tracking Protection? Outside of using the profiles that Brave offers (I’d really like this option in Safari), you may actually be better off using Safari due to better anti-tracking, better speed and better battery management when mobile.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The only difference between this, and Steve Jobs "Thoughts on flash" is that was more global... Apple's restricting ads because they believe more in privacy... These services are not gonna die if they pull out of Apple..

Take it like a man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.