iPhone XR FaceID - health/studies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majkom, Oct 9, 2018.

1. majkom macrumors 65816

did any one read/hear about some scientific study about faceID impacts on health? Do we know it is perfectly save to get eyes bombarded hundreds of times per day by infrared beams?

Any links to studies? Artickes (scientific), etc...

2. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

I believe there are no health effects in regards to the IR beams, I read that they are far too low power to do any damage what so ever.

You have to remember, that during the day, the sun is bombarding your eyes with much more powerful and dangerous uv rays.

The IR beams used in Face ID won’t be causing any eye damage or health issues in my opinion. But then again I’m no doctor/scientist :p

3. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

I think there are more issues regarding OLED screens that a minority but a pretty substantial one, seem to have.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Mostly just various previous threads discussing it all.

5. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I don’t care what anyone says...it can’t be GOOD for your eyes.

I have the gene which puts me at risk for Macular Degeneration, my grandfather has the same trait and he’s legally blind...as much as I loved my X, I downgraded to an 8 Plus.

I feel like the Face ID is bad for my eyes and with the implementation of PWM on the OLED, I was having headaches.

6. that be me macrumors 6502

You get more infrared light from the sun. This is pretty small potatoes.

7. OTACORB macrumors 65816

OTACORB

Yeah that is an overreaction with no evidence to support your conclusion. Nonetheless, you have to do what you feel is best for you. Just saying "I don't care what anyone says it can't be good for your eyes" doesn't make it so.

8. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68000

BugeyeSTI

Can you please show me any evidence or studies that says IR light is a cause of macular degeneration?

9. now i see it macrumors 68020

Anyone concerned about their eyes shouldn't be using an OLED iPhone. We're all Guinea pigs.

10. seezar macrumors member

How so are we guinea pigs compared to LCD screens? Samsung has been using them in their phones since 2008.

11. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I didn’t say it causes it...I already have the trait for macular degeneration.

My vision is perfect now, but I’m only in my late 20s...people always say “you get more IR from the sun” which isn’t the most assuring thing when comparing the IR on Face ID.

I’m not saying it’s going to cause people to go blind, I’m just saying it can’t be good for your eyes.

For example, corded headphones are safer than Bluetooth ones...do I think Bluetooth headphones are going to cause brain cancer? No. But I think corded headphones are safer.

Compared to any minimal risks of Face ID, Touch ID is safer. That’s all I’m saying :)

12. OTACORB macrumors 65816

OTACORB

That maybe what you are saying, but you admit you have zero evidence to support your claim.

13. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

The evidence is common sense.

IR in your eyes from Face ID is worse than having no IR in your eyes.

How much worse? Probably very, very miniscule...but it’s still worse than not having it in your eyes at all.

14. OTACORB macrumors 65816

OTACORB

Total nonsense unless you can provide some real evidence which clearly you cannot do. You even admit it. This topic is done!!

15. majkom thread starter macrumors 65816

16. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

There’s really no need for studies. Infrared light has a wavelength of 700 nm to 1 mm while visible light has a wavelength of 390 nm to 700 nm. Because it has a higher wavelength, it has less energy, so it’s less damaging to your cells. While infrared can penetrate your skin more because of the higher wavelength, it still doesn’t have enough energy to do any more damage as visible light. The FaceID scanning puts out significantly less power than the display of the phone, so you’re more likely to get damage from that than FaceID.

17. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I don’t think scientists would like to waste their time studying infrared spectrum specifically from Face ID when we’re surrounded by them 24/7.

18. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I’m just a regular guy...Apple should be the one providing evidence to support their claims. Ya know, they are the first trillion dollar company. There’s over 70 pages on MacRumors of people who are complaining about the X/XS/XS Max giving them headaches...is that just made up too?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eye-strain-while-using-iphone-x.2085427/

Also, I’m sure you think that AirPods aren’t bad for you either. Funny thing, Apple lists RF exposure for all products...except for the AirPods...which are Class 1 BlueTooth. Are you going to call me a liar until I do some more research?

https://www.apple.com/legal/rfexposure/

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Not just “more” but 1000s times more frombeing in the sun.

20. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Of course there's studies, these devices are certified safe by your friendly local government - who will conduct or review relevant studies.

As to scientific studies, specifically on FaceID, I highly doubt anyone would receive funding for something so trivial. So no, I don't think you'll find any credible.

Seeing as how IR light is weaker than visible light in the spectrum, and no one tends to develop ill health from opening there eyes, it's deemed safe. UV light is stronger than visible light, and you're exposed to that constantly.

Anyway chill out, use your brain and be confident that a tiny IR light source has zero biological implications to a human* (Snakes can see IR, it'd be like shining a bright light in your face for them...).

21. franzkfk macrumors regular

franzkfk

When I see an OLED screen my eyes sort a feel like looking at something that will hurt them after a while ... it is too bright for my taste.

22. majkom thread starter macrumors 65816

23. ghsNick, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2018

ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

It’s funny how so many defend something they have no idea about...yet insist “the sun is worse” for your eyes.

No **** the sun is worse for your eyes...sounds like a pretty terrible way to defend Face ID.

Hopefully your eyes aren’t messed up after using it for 20+ years.