FaceID is pretty inconvenient

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsthetouch, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Don’t wait to swipe. Just do it before or at the same time. I expect in a future software update they may give you the option to unlock immediately. I personally like it this way as I can see my notifications once it recognizes my face. Like a secret spy phone ;)

2. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

If my phone is laying on my desk at work, i don't need to unlock it. i just want to check for notifications, so it's a non issue for ME. if they would add a notification light, I wouldn't need to wake the phone to check

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

As a Galaxy S8+ user, both the rear fingerprint reader AND their version of Face ID are wonky as hell. While I've got both enabled, I'd say a good 3 out of 5 times I resort to passcode. And typical of Android...it didn't used to be this way. At first, both features worked as advertised. Over time, system degradation issues make them less reliable. Good old Android....the Windows XP of mobile OS's.

--- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    yeah I don't wait to swipe either...I do it in one fluid motion as Face ID unlocks it so fast. But it sure would be nice to just look at it and have it "auto swipe" for me so it returns to the last place I was using the phone. It just annoys me I have to touch the phone at all considering how well Face ID works. Seems like an extra optional step for those that want some privacy...not something I should be forced to do as it adds no value that I can see other than the privacy thing.

4. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Apple Pay is more seamless with Face ID, because you authenticate FIRST, before holding phone near POS terminal. Therefore, there isn't this little awkward pause while it registers touch ID, or you mess up and get siri instead or your fingers are dirty. With Face ID, you pull phone out of pocket, double click side button while looking and you are authenticated. You then hold phone to reader - BANG - transaction done. I thought it would be worse, but it's actually better now with Face ID - no one even knows you are authenticating -- it seems like you are just looking at your phone. It is way more seamless and magical.

5. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I had a nice FaceID Use Case, I was using the App Switcher (i.e., swiping across the bottom), and I got to the app I wanted that happens to be one that requires authentication to open, and as I stopped on it, FID basically authenticated "on-the-fly" and the app just opened. It's this type of flow where FID is faster because it's more seamless, and operates pretty much transparently (the mark of really great technology).

6. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Face ID so far has been very seemless for me.

7. schizbomb macrumors 6502

On the first weekend I had my X i was annoyed that it would not work when I was laying down or if the phone was on my table while I was watching tv.

I noticed lately that this has not been an issue. I am unsure of Face ID's learning or what not but I 100% can open my phone when it is laying on my desk or my table without having to lift it up now and that was not the case the Friday and Saturday of launch day.

I would say its about 80-90% on my laying down in bed now, depending on my orientation, when before I always had to lean my head or sit up a little.

So over time now it has gotten a lot better.

8. markp-a macrumors newbie

I like it to. Does not work with sunglasses. But I’m usually driving when I where those. So no big deal.

9. schizbomb macrumors 6502

Yes it does not work with my Ray-Ban Aviators, Wayfarers or my Oakley Prizms. That is annoying. Especially since the Prizm are basically translucent

10. caesarp, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

caesarp macrumors 6502a

Turn off "require attention for Face ID" and it will work with sunglasses.

[​IMG]

11. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Might just be your sunglasses block IR. Mine works with my polarized glass Maui Jim’s, polarized poly Gucci’s, my non-polarized poly Kate Spades and Maui Jim’s. I have requires attention switched off.

12. wassup121 macrumors regular

Just wait for the winter; if you're in the northeast or cold regions that is.
    No need to make sure I have my touch sensitive gloves on or removing my glove just to check notifications when outside. I can just look at the phone. That said, FaceID isn't perfect and annoying for me when i try to unlock my phone lying in bed.

13. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Already winter here. Can confirm much more convenient.

14. FunkyTang macrumors 6502

To check for notifications all you have to do is tap the screen on the X. You only need to unlock it to read the contents if that’s the way your X is set up.

15. wassup121 macrumors regular

true that. let's hope the X continues to work in the cold!

16. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

Although having played about with it just a couple of days - I disagree with OP. I was skeptical at first but FaceID won me over. Higher success rate than touchID for me anyway and it’s just really cool to operate phone with just swipes rather than a button. Didn’t think I’d like it this much.

17. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Only thing I've found with Face ID is that when it does NOT work (which admittedly is a very rare occurrence) it pretty much WILL NOT work no matter what I do other than putting phone back to sleep and trying again. It's weird...sort of like NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE PASSCODE SLEEP OH HI THERE!

I wonder if it gets into some kind of NOPE loop when it fails to recognize. Not like I do anything different to get it to work again. Same room, same lighting, same...well...ME. Just on the rare occasion it doesn't work, it won't until I put it to sleep and wake it again. Then works instantly again.

Different than Touch ID where I'd get NOPE's and then either clean the sensor and/or wipe off my hand/try a different finger to get it to work. At least in those situations, I could understand why it wasn't working and address it. Face ID seems far less obvious in those rare instances where it doesn't work why it's not working.

18. ManuCH macrumors 6502

That's interesting. For me, when it doesn't work (for example if I mistakingly point the phone at someone else), I just have to swipe up and it tries again. Then it works.

OTOH, with Touch ID on the iPhone 7 Plus as well as 8 Plus I would sometimes get in a NOPE-loop. It's as if it wasn't able to read the fingerprint completely (the fingerprint picture didn't "fill up" completely). I had to put it back to sleep and try again.

So go figure - it's the opposite for me.

19. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that too. I think it's intentional. If Touch ID fails, you can take a moment, collect yourself, clean/dry your hands, clean the button, etc. Then you can try again when you're ready.

With Face ID, how would it work if it failed? You need a moment to collect yourself, perhaps re-position the phone, maybe remove sunglasses, etc. I think the way it works is meant to give you that moment to possibly correct things if that's the issue, then you hit the power and try again. Otherwise lets say it failed because you had sunglasses it can't read through. So it fails, you go to take your sunglasses off when it decides to try again. Then you almost have your arm out of your way when it tries the third time. Now you're locked out. I think it works the way it does so you have a moment to figure out what's wrong and correct it before trying again.

That's my theory. No clue if there's any truth to it or not, but it fits the facts.

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

^^^

Interesting theory! Maybe I’ll experiment a bit and see if I can pinpoint why it’s not working when it decides to NOPE out.

21. bilibug macrumors regular

bilibug

The Apple Pay shortcut (double tap power button) works from any screen, not just from sleep, on the X.

22. wassup121 macrumors regular

yup - confirmed as i just used that in a cab and was previously in messages

23. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I'll grant you that is a usability improvement, then! Shame they couldn't also offer it for Touch ID devices, i wonder if there is any hardware restriction preventing mapping a double press on the side button?

24. FoxD macrumors 6502

Face ID is amazing for secure apps like Etrade or Chase. So fast and doesn’t require you to do anything!