FaceID is pretty inconvenient

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsthetouch, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Rhonindk, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Depends. My 7+ sits to the right side of my desk, flat. As needed I either;
    a) use a registered fingerprint to open and read the screen
    b) use a non-registered fingerprint to read note

All without picking it up.
    It's a convenience thing - my phone is part of my job.
    DeskTop w_iPhone.jpg

Until I decided to forego the X I was wonder how to achieve something similar.
    btw - FaceID had nothing to do with my decision to skip the X.

2. skyyo macrumors member

Get a phone stand/wireless charger and problem solved.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I wasn't aware of this. When I set up TouchID it only asks for one print. I assumed that was it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    I've had every iPhone since 3GS. I will admit I didn't know TouchID was able to save multiple prints. I always used one. But, the other items are fact from my experience. TouchID won't work if you're sliding the thumb down on the side and it is fast to the point where it will unlock the phone when you don't want it (same as FaceID).

Not sure what you're talking about in terms of "fake news". Please.

4. Smartass macrumors 65816

If i'm not mistaken Apple themselves said that this new bionic chip is learning everytime it scans your face... something like this. Sounds more like a marketing plot. A chip "that smart" with 40.000 projected dots, should remember every single property of your damn face the first time you scan it.
    Double win for who? The company, from which you bought that station? Because i have hard times understaning, how exactly is this a double win, when you had to spend an extra 20€ just so you can unlock your phone lol

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Touch ID can log in up to 5 different fingers. So you can add another persons finger. Try doing that with Face ID.
    You can use a non entered finger to wake up the screen or hit the power button to light up the screen.
    You dont have to adjust the grip, touch ID reads your fingers sideways and upside down or just by using the side grip of the fingers.
    When you press down on the home button it instantly unlocks.

6. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

I never set my phone down places. It’s always in my hand, etc. every time I’m going to use it, I’m holding it.

The only exception to that is when I’m at my desk (I have small piece of fabric I set it on).

The fact that FaceID doesn't read your face when it’s tilted away at nearly 90 degrees barely impacts me, and for the one place it does, my wireless charger (which I was going to get anyway) solves that issue.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Alrighty then, you will never set your phone down anywhere but at your desk.
    And Im George Bush :D

8. eoblaed, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

I didn’t have to spend a penny to unlock my phone. Even before I got the charger (which I was going to get anyway), I’d set up a little angled thing to rest my phone on when I was at my desk. Took about 30 seconds and that’s all I needed.

The fact that the wireless charger that I was going to purchase anyway (win because, wireless charging) also angled my phone in such a way that it’s now more convenient for me when I’m at my desk, gives me an extra win. And, by the way, this new angle would've been an added convenience even if it were a TouchID device.

So, any angle issues from the desk are solved and I get the very fluid benefits of FaceID while using my phone (ie. my banking and investing apps that recognize me instantly without me having to apply my finger-print to the bottom sensor, etc). Makes me a happy camper.
    I don’t.

I keep my phones naked. And pristine. Part of that means I never set them down on hard surfaces. I don’t treat my phone like a tv remote.

When I’m actively using my phone, it’s in my hand. Again, the only exception to that is when I’m at my desk.

9. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Is this where we're at? We're complaining about having to pick up a cell phone? I have my X next to me on my desk as well... I tilt it up, look at it, put it down. You're not running a marathon, you're picking an electronic device 2 inches off a surface.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Don't forget about the unused space at the bottom of some screens.

11. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

what face id? All I do is swipe up and the phone unlock..........Its so fast I forget that face id is enable......

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

For some reason when Touch ID is required to buy something, for instance, I keep accidentally pressing too hard and going home. I guess that’s my own dumb fault but I think Face ID will solve this problem for me.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

facial Rec for one person, everyone else enter a code

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

This! Touch ID, especially v2, is one of the BEST things about pre-X iPhones. So Face ID has always seemed to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

Now, if they’d included both, that would’ve been cool because each could have complimented the other in those cases where one or the other is weak. But as a straight replacement... it’s hard to get excited about. it’s quite good... just like its predecessor.

15. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

This is what I'm facing currently with my X. My phone is oriented exactly the way you describe at my desk. I can use my phone and do whatever i need to do all while its laying flat. I can't do that anymore if I want to use FaceID to unlock my phone. I physically have to pick it up and face it in the general direction of my face to unlock. The only way I thought of so far is swipe up and input my numerical code which is a huge step backwards and defeats the purpose.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Sure, it’s the height of first world problems. But remember: this is a flagship feature on a super expensive phone. I’d expect the tech in a $1000 iPhone X to be unequivocally better than what’s in the $450 iPhone 6s (Touch ID v2), and it’s not. It’s sometimes better... sometimes worse... and generally just about equally good.

So it’s not about having to pick up a cell phone, it’s about fancy, expensive new tech having limitations older, cheaper tech doesn’t.

17. Bag302 macrumors regular

I too am finding FaceID inconvenient. So much so that I am using my phone without any security. Even then, it is less convenient than TouchID for me.

Wake then swipe vs Press home button

Returning it this weekend.

18. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Maybe you expect it to be unequivocally better than TouchID on the 6S, but I don't. Touch ID on the 6s was at least v2 of that platform. This is a Gen1 feature, don't forget that... Comparing FaceID now to TouchID on the 6s isn't a fair comparison.

I'd also argue that in almost any scenario other than this particular one, FaceID is far more convenient and better executed than TouchID... Authentication within apps is much better with FaceID than TouchID, if only for the fact that I don't need to shimmy my hand up and down a 7+ in order to get into an app; Apple Pay is much better with FaceID than TouchID for the same reasons.

19. LarrySmith macrumors regular

LarrySmith

Swipe as you look at it, becomes more of a one motion thing like the old days of placing your finger on the home button.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not.
    You're already using the app on the phone right? You cant use it without touching the phone :D

21. Bag302 macrumors regular

True, but most of the time the phone is in a cradle on my desk or in the car. With touch ID, I don't have to move it from the cradle. With FaceID, I have to pick it up to bring my face in range.

22. lenard macrumors 6502

Fastest way to use FaceID is to go for the swipe up as soon as you lift up the phone and you won't even notice
    any delay...FaceID appears slow if you pickup the phone and wait for the unlock......give it a try...

23. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

This isn’t the point that most are trying to make. It’s not the fact that swiping up while facing the phone is an issue it is the act of physically lifting the phone.

You don’t need to pick up the phone at all with TouchID.

24. LarrySmith macrumors regular

LarrySmith

Well I just unlocked mine without picking it up.

25. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Was the phone lying flat facing up and you were off to the side? If you did that’s awesome.

I have my phone on my desk to the right of me and about a foot forward of my head.