FaceID is pretty inconvenient

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsthetouch, Nov 6, 2017.

1. DiveKitty, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Apple Pay with Face ID is a breeze. People seem to keep thinking of the Face ID application only for unlocking, but it really streamlines things in other ways as well.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2017 ---
    How far across your desk do you keep your phone? My phone is an arm's length away from me(just within reach of a swipe) on my desk and reads my face just fine. If your phone is on the other end of desk, then it is a little absurd to be complaining about inconvenience in first place.
    You don't need to pick it up at all with Face ID either. :confused: If it is laying flat on desk, I just need to sort of semi-hover my head over it (at an angle is fine). If it is angled up, I can be an arm's length away...not that I have very long arms I guess.

2. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Mine works on a desk but i do have to look over it for it to work...might as well just type the pass code in when on a desk. Hardly an issue

3. LarrySmith macrumors regular

LarrySmith

Off to the side? I wouldn't be able to use it well in that situation anyway so what would be the point of that? It was in front of me.

4. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

That’s what I’m currently doing at the moment. Not a huge issue but something to bring up when people are saying FaceID is perfect and superior than TouchID in every way possible.
    Took this pic off the web but my setup is similar and my phone would be where that book is. You can still use the phone off to the side like that. I’ll probably end up getting a stand for my phone.

Attached Files:

5. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

I added a pic to my original post.

6. ManuCH macrumors 6502

Sorry to crash your thread, but I'm probably one of those rare snowflakes who actually likes FaceID better. I have found it to be completely seamless for my typical use case: take phone out of my pocket - swipe - done. I don't wait or anything, it just unlocks.

Also, authenticating apps is much more convenient than with TouchID, especially considering that I use 1Password a lot. I just wait a second - done.

No problem with sunglasses and/or a scarf either.

The only minor inconvenience is unlocking the iPhone X while it's laying on my desk, as others mentioned. But at the end, I noticed that I actually never *used* the phone while in that position (that would be an awkward position to use a phone). It was just a habit of unlocking it before picking it up to use it. I have now changed my "flow" and pick it up first - of course it works.

I know, YMMV. But for me it's actually better.

My other minor gripe is the narrower screen, coming from an iPhone 8 Plus. But the iPhone X is so much lighter and feels so much better in my pocket that I'm willing to take the trade-off.

7. technoholic, Nov 8, 2017

technoholic macrumors 6502a

Please don't tell me that having to put your phone on something to angle it towards you on a desk is not a compromise. Sure, you might have been going to buy a wireless charger that holds it up anyway, but to have to put something under it to get it to work in a use case that it worked in before, is by definition, a step backwards in that use case. Now I'm not bashing Face ID in general, it's great tech and in app authentication is fantastic, at least as good as Touch ID, if not slightly better, but for that use case, it's downright inconvenient. And just because YOU might not use your phone flat on a desk regularly, doesn't mean others don't.
    Personally, I'd say at least 30% of my use is tapping the phone to log in, check red bubbles, etc etc, all while it's down flat. Either on my desk or on a table in a boardroom in a meeting when im expecting an important message from the wife and don't want to blatantly pick the phone up or carry around a little phone rest to raise it to the desired angle.

As I said, Face ID is great and for all those who say it works for them in every case, that's great, for me, it's enough to be the line between a flawless phone and one that I can't live with in its current state. Personally, I don't feel I should have to bend to new technology, I feel like it should improve on what was there, but in this case specifically, it doesn't, FOR ME, and no one can tell me I'm wrong because you're not me, in the same way I can't tell anyone else they are wrong for loving it or hating it or whatever. Surely we can all agree on that?

8. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

yeah, I think the in car usage, with the lack of going simply by touch, is going to irk some people. I had to get comfortable with iris-only scanning (no fingerprint sensor) on my Lumia 950 XL a couple years ago. so car interaction with the phone was curtailed (a good thing ;)).

9. ManuCH macrumors 6502

Yes, if 30% of your use cases consist on interacting with your phone while it's flat on the table, then I'd recommend sticking with an iPhone 8 or 8 Plus. We share the same opinion: people shouldn't have to bend to technology.

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Sometimes you just want to quickly check a message or more details of a notification , I quite often do this without picking up my phone .
    For me each interation of the iPhone has been a natural instinctive progression , with the X it's not, you have to bend to its way.... very ackward for any apple device. In a weird way it feels like a apple/android implementation - cause I scratch my head at certain things like he way you close apps or remove apps....

11. lordhamster macrumors 6502a

I switch back and forth between android and IOS often, but I have to agree the force close apps has me scratching my head... why is it not a swipe up from the multi-talking to kill an APP? This is how it works on the my iPad pro. At the moment, my biggest frustration is that there are essentially two UIs for the same OS version. the iPhone X works significantly different than the my iPad Pro... even they really COULD work exactly the same (by making the physical home button optional and implementing gestures on the iPad).

That said, I would not give up my X at this point. I've come from a Pixel XL after being away from iOS for a year and am just loving the tight integration with my Macbook Pro, iPad Pro, iPhone x and Airpods.

12. terandle, Nov 8, 2017

terandle macrumors newbie

I’m just sitting on the couch and reset up FaceID and am opening it up over and over again testing it out. The failure rate is incredibly high, small variations in the phones angle in my hand causes it to not work. Even holding it straight dead on looking at me and it will fail sometimes for no reason that I can tell.

It should be failing 1 in 100 but it seems more like 1 in 10 right now.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

So what do people who have Android phones with the fingerprint sensors on the back do? How do they unlock their phones when lying flat on a table?

I turned off require attention which helps a lot to unlock at weird angles. When I’m at work I tap the screen to see if I have anything that needs my attention and if I do I pick up the phone. I don’t see how this is an issue.

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

They can either resort to a passcode. Or, they have the option of using Facial recognition or Iris scanning.

15. technoholic macrumors 6502a

why do people keep thinking that their experience should be the same as everyone else? So what if you don't see it as an issue, it is for other people

16. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Yea had to do that with Touch ID. Face ID has been working better than Touch ID. I was very skeptical at first but now I’m sold on Face ID. Touch ID failed a lot more than Face ID. I have to say it took a lot of ball for Apple to completely replace Touch ID with Face.

17. stevemiller, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

stevemiller macrumors 68000

In fairness, is there anything unstreamlined about Touch ID for payment?

(note: for me the most cumbersome step - which exists in both face ID and Touch ID implementations - is triggering the payment screen, because you either have to go to the wallet app or sleep your phone and double tap the home button / side button on the X; but I understand the reasoning that you have to show some form of intent first to prevent accidental authentications.)

It feels like the arguments here boil down to people debating whether having your face briefly in view of the front camera or having a finger briefly rest on the home button are substantial enough inconveniences that one becomes transformatively better than the other. I'm sure for specific people's situations either *could* be true, but I just don't think it can be painted in global absolutes.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What I usually do is just bring the phone near the NFC applepay terminal and then it bring up the Appleplay with my default credit card up.
    Yours doesnt do that?
    I dont remember ever having to manually bring up Wallet up to use it.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This argument puzzles me. Unless Apple offering some discount for Face ID being a first gen technology, its function should reflect its price and marketing as a flagship feature on the most expensive smartphone ever. If it gets better in gen 2 in 2018, I don’t see how that’s relevant to people who just paid $1000 for a phone in 2017.

20. stevemiller macrumors 68000

it will do this, however, I've never seen that listed as an official method, and when I try to authenticate, it usually has to fail once before working the second time. if you know a trick to get it to authenticate reliably on the first try, you'll be my hero!

21. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

On top of the other responses, they also have the option to use Smart Lock, which can use a trusted Bluetooth or WiFi connection to bypass the screen lock. I personally don’t use it on my S8, but it’s nice having that option.

22. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I have no issues. infact, what I have noticed is that FACE ID is much more convenient at times especially when reaching financial apps, it immediately checks my face instead of asking for my fingerprint. feels futuristic. and it passed the dirty fingers buffalo wings test.

23. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

You don't sound like a Pats fan, more like a Jets or Sabres fan. LOL
    I was a skeptic and refused to consider the X.
    It was available for pick up so I bought it.
    I was going to try it for the 14 days and give it back to apple. (not even a consideration now)
    love the facial recognition vs the button.
    going to my ipad I find the button inconvenient especially if it's not in the best orientation for my fingers.

It's only going to get better.

24. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Ehh, you're wrong. Face ID is objectively superior to Touch ID. The fact that you have a particular situation where you don't want to move your head to line up a little with your phone doesn't change that. And you can use face ID while the phone is flat (even with your head slightly to the side). You DON"T NEED TO PICK UP THE PHONE to read messages from your wife or anyone else when at a meeting and the phone is flat. It's actually more discreet than Touch ID, since you don't have to hold your finger on a little circle. You just tap to wake and hover your head nearby (and if your in a meeting its already nearby). Set preview to show always and you don't have to unlock to read a short message anyway. I think you think you need to always raise the phone to start the face id process. That is incorrect. You do need to wake it - and there are 3 ways. Tap, raise or press side button. Also, if a message comes in you can read it without waking, by glancing (if you set to show preview always - unless its a long message).

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

See, for me, having to stop typing on my laptop and reach over and unlock the phone using Touch ID was inconvenient. It's much easier to unlock with Face ID. I don't have to remove gloves when working outside, I don't have to make sure my fingers are clean (I work on construction sites, and this often blocked Touch ID from working), etc.

What's inconvenient for me is NOT Face ID...but the insistence on Apple's part that even after unlocking with Face ID I still HAVE TO SWIPE UP TO START USING THE PHONE!!! I find that stupid, I get why they did it, but I think that should be a totally optional thing that's selectable in settings. It annoys the crap out of me and I blame it mostly on the Touch ID system. Apple things we want to fondle our phones. I personally do not.