Facetime and talk minutes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tritonj, Jun 9, 2010.

1. tritonj macrumors 6502a

anyone know if your minutes are still being used when using facetime?

2. AggieWSO macrumors newbie

I believe to use facetime you have to use two iphones, which means two AT&T phones, which means no charges. :)

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

1 + 1 = 2

1(wifi only) + 1(not over cellular) = 2(no no minutes used)

4. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

I see your point, iphone1105, but I am also curious as to how exactly it works. You need to initiate a voice call using the cell radio, then it switches over to the WiFi radio. At that point, does the cell communication portion cease? In other words, say another carrier were to use the open source Face Time APIs in their voice chat client, so that the communications link went from an AT&T handset to, say, a Verizon handset (no mobile to mobile connection). Would cell data (ie., voice minutes) need to be used for the duration of the communication linkup, especially since the video portion is pushed over WiFi? Steve very adroitly skipped that part of the explanation. It could be that both the video and audio are pumped over WiFi, but I would like to know for sure myself.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

AT&T charges you to use your own Internet via the micro cell tower. It wouldn't surprise me if they charge for this. But you do have 2 AT&T phones so I dint see how they can charge.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do we know that you HAVE to initiate a voice call?

7. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Doing voice over cellular while using wifi for video would be a synchronization nightmare. I'd almost guarantee they use the same backbone. The fact that they showed a soldier (who we would presume is overseas) using it, suggests it would be all WiFi.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'm betting that Apple has thrown AT&T (and all carriers since it's an open standard) a bone and requires a phone line to be "open" while FaceTime is using IP so the carriers are likely to adopt FaceTime. Leaving the carries out is what has keep them from adopting any other system and there would be no reason to support FaceTime if it was slitting their own throats by bypassing there ability to charge you.

10. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Nope, wifi only is needed. You can initiate from a call, once FaceTime starts it seamlessly ends the cellular connection. You can initiate it without a cellular connection at all.

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You mean the 3G Micro Cell? No they don't. You have the OPTION of purchasing the device. Once purchased, incoming and outgoing calls to AT&T people are free. No charge. Nights, weekends - free. It's the same as it would be WITHOUT it.

Please stop spreading BS.

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Basically, the call is "suspended" whilst the video call occurs.

13. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I don't think this is accurate... I think you must make a cellular call WHILE wi-fi is enabled... when on a call and iPhone recognizes that A) wifi is on and B) there is an iPhone 4 on the other end, the FT icon will enable... i think you will still be "using minutes" (ATT to ATT is free) while on FT... I'm not saying I'm right, but I think this is how it's going to work.

14. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

well that answers that! i was wondering this also..

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Then there would be no reason to support (or more preciously a reason to oppose) it. Why would the carriers support the standard so that "phone calls" would be free and bypass their minutes. If this is the case then the FaceTime open standard is doomed to failure since all carriers and phone companies will oppose it.

16. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

I believe they are referring to the $19.99 fee per month you're charged to use the Microcell. I noticed that fee couple days ago when changing my iPhone data plan.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I mean when it's not AT&T to AT&T. They make you use your cellular minutes even though they are not taxed with the network load.

18. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

19. Donald V macrumors newbie

That is only if you want unlimited minutes through the microcell. I have the microcell without any additional monthly charges and it just using my minutes based on my phone plan.

Donald :)

20. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i'm wondering if i can (without paying for overseas charges) facetime with an iPhone for from here in america to the UK? If we can oh man thats good.

21. MacAttraction macrumors newbie

MacAttraction

Listen.....

...if it were being done over cellular connection, A) No need of wifi connection, B) The carriers would gladly & immediately roll out the service, of course at a price ! Apple clearly said they have to work out the details with the carriers, er go, ATM it is wifi connectivity -- free -- no need to use airtime minutes. The calling part, is a way for the phones to connect, instead of using a user handle. For example, instead of calling a person and telling them to log in, say into Skype, for video call then hang up, once u make the call with iPhone 4, and it recognizes the ability to Facetime, it starts the connection. Ofcourse once the ability to do it over cellular connection is implimented, u may have the option of either continuing over that connection or wifi, I suspect.

22. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

The only identified way of initiating the facetime so far for sure if by making a phone call, unless I'm missing something, though I do hope there is a wifi only way, or I'm likely to not even try it.

edit: just went back and read the apple page, does seem to indicate can initiate without the call, so that's good.

23. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

I was going to open a thread about this but I'll use this one.

The FaceTime Mysteries

1) How the hell can it be "zero setup required, no entering stuff, no buddy list"?

Ok, you have to make a phone call, but then what happen? How do the phones "handshake"? Will they do it through SOUND signals? How is the "tunnel" created between the phones, with information just send through the phone call?

2) Does the call DROP (--->good) as soon as I hit the the FaceTime button?

People, get over the "you're both AT&T so you don't pay". We're not all from the US, you know. In Italy you can use your iPhone with every carrier and you DO pay for calls between iPhones.

This is also a big issue for international FaceTime calls. Like seeing your kids while your abroad (soldiers, etc.). That's what this is all about, and the Apple ad clearly is about that. International calls cost money. Whereas FaceTime is just something over the internet, like videochatting on skype from US to Australia, it would be a WASTE not to allow it just because you have to KEEP GOING a useless and pricey international phone call.

So this IS an issue.

3) Even if it DOES drop, why do I have to pay the first seconds? That can be very pricey too in some countries or for international calls!

Definetely a no-go for frequent international use. And that's a waste, becauce FaceTime just require a FREE internet connection via WIFI!

4) What's with this "TENS of millions of FaceTime devices in 2010" slide Steve projected on stage?

iPhones sell 7-9 millions per quarter. There are 2 quarters left, that could mean 14-18 millions in 2010. But next quarter is gonna be not_very_worldwide, so sales will be lower.

So does "tens of millions" and the generic word "devices" mean that the iPod Touch 4G will be FaceTime capable?

If so, how will they "handshake"? iPod Touch cannot do phone calls...this could mean that phone calls are not required. But how can it be ZERO SETUP then?

What do you think?

24. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

As was discussed in another thread...

Remember SJ said 10s of millions of FaceTime devices would be SHIPPING this year. Apple isn't going to sell 10s of millions of iPhone 4s. That means the iPod Touch and quite possibly the iPad will get updated in September and support FaceTime.

With either of those two devices you obviously can't "call" them first to initiate FaceTime. That demos had me fooled at first too, but SJ's comments showed me the light. What you don't "see" is the seamless ending of the phone call and beginning of FaceTime.

I also believe if you initiate it through WiFi without being on a call first, you'll get a notification similar to an incoming call. This way more of Apple devices can use this feature.

If you look at the specs on Apple's site, no where does it say it needs a cellular connection in addition to Wifi. It simply states it needs to be iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 and WiFi.

25. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

If so, how can it be "zero setup required"?