Facetime, how many are using it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lexvo, Oct 19, 2010.

1. lexvo macrumors 65816

In the early ads, Apple was using Facetime as a big selling point for the iPhone 4. I'm curious how many people are actually using this feature on a regular basis.

For me, not many people around me have the iPhone 4. So I have no idea if I would be using it much if I knew more people with iPhones. Actually, a friend of my is receiving his iPhone tomorrow and that will be the first opportunity for me to try it out :)

2. KingMob16 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My girlfriend just got an iPhone and it is great I don't think we have used a regular call yet

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I probably just used it a handful of times, like when I first got it to test it out. and then when a few of my friends got it to help them test it out...Other than that haven't really used it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

At first I didn't used it because my friends didn't have an iPhone 4 and now that a couple do, I chat with them on FaceTime. It's kind of fun; never used iChat, but FaceTime is good.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

When I had an iPhone 4, I used it a couple times with a friend of mine who also has an iPhone 4. It was mostly for the novelty of it though.

Since then, I got rid of the iPhone 4, and got an iPod touch 4. And again, I did a couple FaceTime calls with my friend. But also for the novelty of it. Haven't really used it since.

Usually when we've tried to call each other we're too busy to video chat. A random phone call is less intrusive because it doesn't require you to use your eyes, so you can continue to do whatever it is you're doing, cooking, watching your kid, playing fetch with the dog, etc. A FaceTime or any videochat call however, requires you to kind of stop what you're doing and put most of your attention on the iPhone/iPod. I think this is a big downside. Randomly calling people like you can on a voice call just isn't feasible.

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Not yet. Don't know anyone else who has an iPhone 4. My girlfriend is holding out for a white one. I hope Apple releases iChat with FaceTime before 10.7

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

A guy from work and I tried it when he got his iPhone 4.

We looked up eachother noses for a bit, then hung up.

Not really sure if I quite get the point...

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think it it used a much as regular 3G video chat here in Denmark.

Which would translate to just about 0% after the initial test most people do when acquiring a phone for the first time.

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

you have to hold the phone far away from your face when your makin a facetime call

or your face gonna look huge

11. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Not one of my close friends has an iPhone 4, I have yet to use facetime

12. DelilahBadapple macrumors newbie

I use it almost daily. My husband works across the county and it's great for him to be able to chat with our son before bedtime. We love it!

13. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

I use it a few times every week. Mainly to talk to my girlfriend and sometimes other friends. It's really convenient to have that feature on a phone so it's easy to carry around. I can't say that I use it nearly as much as just a regular phone call, mainly because WiFi is required and I'm not interested in jailbreaking my iPhone for that one reason.

14. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Now that alot of my friends have 4's we use it alot.

Marc

16. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I use it quite regularly. Usually to sign with deaf folks. Works great.
    I'm looking forward to it working on 3G, but worried about my 2GB limit when that time comes.

17. Zcott macrumors 68020

I read on engadget that it takes about 3mb/min. So by my very rough maths it works out at about 6 hours of facetime in 1gb. Which is a lot.

18. Raj24v macrumors member

What does it cost to use FaceTime? Is it like a regular call, is there a connection charge etc...

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't use it. I don't want to do facetime with boys. I would be only interested in doing it with girls.

20. WolverineGuy macrumors member

I don't use it because barely any of my friends have an iPhone 4...however, I use the new Yahoo Messenger quite frequently to video chat. I'd like to see the differences personally.

21. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

iPhone 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 4. What about iPod Touch 4? I get a dozen Facetime requests a day from friends with their new iPods.

22. gtmac macrumors 6502a

With kids and family it's the greatest thing ever. My two year old loves to face time his uncles and they love seeing him!

I also facetime him, and my wife to a lesser extent, when I am out of town for work.

For out of town family it's as simple as you could ever want because you can chase a kid with a phone unlike a laptop.

23. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

it's a gimmick and that's about it. I used it maybe 3-4 times when the iphone was first launched just to do it. but just like with the built in isight of my MBP, I never use it as I don't see the point.
    Why would I want to use it? Never in public (so I can extend my arm and have other people looking at me like I'm crazy or easily steal my phone? no thanks). Even at home, I find it annoying to hold out my hand to hold the phone. I suppose I could set it down in the dock, but it's just pointless to me.
    Perhaps if I had a kid and was away on business. Or if my girlfriend upgraded her 3GS and felt like giving me a peep show. Otherwise, forget it.

24. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Not I. Until Apple comes up with a way to integrate with contacts so you know who's on wifi, it's worthless imo!

FacePlant was an app that was developed to do just that, but could not get it passed through the app review process due to an apparent API rule violation.

Until Apple or some other developer puts more into the 'when' and 'who' can I facetime with, it's basically a Flintstone mobile wanting to be a Ferrari.

25. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

rarely. not many friends have an iphone and the wifi restriction is lame. i use tango a little more often, but video calling is still a novelty.