Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I haven't used it in months. The only people I know with an iPhone 4 are my parents and sibling. None of my friends have one yet, so it doesn't get much use out of me.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I use it a couple times a week to FaceTime my nephews. Using facetime is alot better then walking around with a laptop on skype. You can also JB your phone and use facetime over 3g

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
im the only one that uses iPhone 4 here, everyone is using a freakin BB!

so i joined ftfun.com to chat with strangers all over the world and i make 3 FT friends and we keep in touch, that's cool to have a friend outside my country, so someday when i go to their country, i've got a place to sleep :p

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I use FaceTime atleast twice a day to connect with friends and family who are out of province. I live in Canada, and I also use the Yahoo! App to keep in touch with my friends and family that don't have an iPhone 4... but let me tell you, alot of my friends/family are dying to get an iPhone 4! It's amazing.

RuggedPro

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
All the time. Get to see the kids while at work. Was able to have grandma watch our daughter's first roller skating experience. Life changing technology. Love it.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
My girlfriend and I use it about twice a week. I'm jailbroken as well and can make FaceTime calls over 3G. If she doesn't have wifi we use Tango, which works great too. I'm still hoping for skype to enable video calls so I can make some mobile to PC video calls. Yahoo messenger was laggy as hell.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
well apart from apple fanboys, everyone else including myself think its a novelty = don't give a crap

Skype >>>>> Facetime

24 inch monitor, Higher quality, higher framerate ,etc etc

elie.fares

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
My little brother also has an iPhone 4. But we both haven't gotten FaceTime to activate yet, so no.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
well apart from apple fanboys, everyone else including myself think its a novelty = don't give a crap

Skype >>>>> Facetime

24 inch monitor, Higher quality, higher framerate ,etc etc

Do you travel for business? Do you have family overseas? Do you have kids who live in another part of the world? For you it may very well be a novelty.
For some of us, it's a great additional means of keeping in touch with others who are far away or for when we are far away. And it's free.
Don't assume everyone lives life as you do or that you have to be a so called 'fanboy' to appreciate an application on the iPhone. Yes, there are other means of doing the same thing. That doesn't negate the positives of this method.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Do you travel for business? Do you have family overseas? Do you have kids who live in another part of the world? For you it may very well be a novelty.
For some of us, it's a great additional means of keeping in touch with others who are far away or for when we are far away. And it's free.
Don't assume everyone lives life as you do or that you have to be a so called 'fanboy' to appreciate an application on the iPhone. Yes, there are other means of doing the same thing. That doesn't negate the positives of this method.

Well said, and I agree 100%. Being in a band and on tour for weeks at a time, the ability to use facetime to see my wife and daughter without the need to travel with a laptop is fantastic.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010

Ok maybe novelty is the wrong term... niche market I guess

If they wanted this thing to really be revolutionary they would have used a universal client that can talk to other devices, and works on 3G

for the rest of us, with computers,laptops,webcams, etc its an inferior way of webchatting

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
used it only twice, both times over 3g just to show someone it works over 3g... thats about it... :(

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Are we doing this thread again?

Okay....... I use it multiple times a day.

Multiple.

The thread is about Facetime, not THAT. :D

I've used it once, since I got my iPhone. My wife might want to get an iPhone now after seeing it in action, since she can talk with the family easier. BTW, so nice to be able to Facetime via 3G, since I'm jailbroke.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Use it all the time to call the kids when I'm working away from home (which is pretty much every week now).

I don't know if I would use it with anyone else, but it is fantastic for anyone with young children. Getting to see your kids before they go to bed every night when you're on the other side of country is priceless.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
it's a gimmick and that's about it. I used it maybe 3-4 times when the iphone was first launched just to do it. but just like with the built in isight of my MBP, I never use it as I don't see the point.
Why would I want to use it? Never in public (so I can extend my arm and have other people looking at me like I'm crazy or easily steal my phone? no thanks). Even at home, I find it annoying to hold out my hand to hold the phone. I suppose I could set it down in the dock, but it's just pointless to me.
Perhaps if I had a kid and was away on business. Or if my girlfriend upgraded her 3GS and felt like giving me a peep show. Otherwise, forget it.
I pretty much agree, but I can see some positive uses for it. It's a gimmick for the most part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.