FaceTime Over 3G Comes to Jailbroken iPhone 4s

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hot on the heels of this weekend's release of the JailbreakMe Web-based jailbreak tool for iOS devices, users with jailbroken iPhone 4s can now think about installing My3G from Intelliborn, which was just updated to enable FaceTime video calling over 3G connections.

My3G essentially tricks a user's phone into thinking it is on Wi-Fi instead of 3G, allowing users to access a number of features and types of content typically restricted to Wi-Fi connections. My3G is typically available to jailbroken iPhones via Rock Your iPhone for $3.99, but the site is currently down due to the high traffic load.

9 to 5 Mac has posted a video briefly showing off FaceTime over 3G in action.

Article Link: FaceTime Over 3G Comes to Jailbroken iPhone 4s

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
This sucks

There is a reason AT&T doesn't allow it on 3G, because their network is not good enough to support the bandwidth. All this does is pull down the network for the rest of us. :mad:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Well, it's reasonable. It's a bit shaky, but hey it works! :)

I think Apple's really going to have to keep up with Jailbroken tech now
Well, Apple is already doing that (look at multitasking or having a wallpaper as a background). What they'll probably do by the end of 2010 is support 3G FaceTime calls, but just at a lower quality. So like instead of 640×480 it's going to be 320×240 or something like that.

Apple will keep up.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
If you went to one of the "pay per drink" data plans, what a great way to suck up all your gigabytes. :)

I don't think the wireless carriers will mind if you do this.....more money for them (unless you are on an unlimited plan). If this gets too popular, watch for Verizon/ATT to eliminate all unlimited plans.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
cool, but I don't think I would like to use my 3G data to make calls, because that could be an easy way to eat up all your data. :)

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Great, are all the jailbreaking whiners out there -- who insist that they deserve every feature the way THEY want it -- going to now be overburdening AT&T's network with this and screwing things up for the rest of us?

Your iPhone is not a do-it-yourself hobbyist PC. Put the soldering iron down. :rolleyes:

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
I have never jailbroken anything before, but this alone will get me to do it.

Will this also allow YouTube videos to play in wifi quality over 3G?

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Great, are all the jailbreaking whiners out there -- who insist that they deserve every feature the way THEY want it -- going to now be overburdening AT&T's network with this and screwing things up for the rest of us?

Your iPhone is not a do-it-yourself hobbyist PC. Put the soldering iron down. :rolleyes:
people who are grandfathered into the unlimited plan have no worries.

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
If you went to one of the "pay per drink" data plans, what a great way to suck up all your gigabytes. :)

I don't think the wireless carriers will mind if you do this.....more money for them (unless you are on an unlimited plan). If this gets too popular, watch for Verizon/ATT to eliminate all unlimited plans.
LMAO. You are sooo correct! at&t is going to make millions from all jailbreakers going over their 2g in 10 days. Sure it will slow things down for the rest of us for a while, but heck, at&t must be on cloud nine. Get ready for the "Grandfathered Unlimited" to go away. Could be seen as a breach of contract an allow at&t to drop you to the 2g plan. The court ruling does not apply to what carries decide to allow you to do. Think about it for a minute.

$$$$$$$$$ :apple: