Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Facial Recognition Feature on Galaxy S8 Bypassed Using Just a Photo

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The security of the facial recognition feature on Samsung's new Galaxy S8 smartphone has come into question, after a video was shared online that appears to show one of the handsets being unlocked by waving a photo of the user's face in front of the camera.

The YouTube video embedded below, recorded at the S8 launch event, shows the registered user of the device presenting a picture of himself to the phone's front-facing camera. After a couple of attempts, the phone recognizes the close-up selfie as the user's face, and the lock screen is subsequently bypassed.

Video posted by iDeviceHelp

Last month it was reported that Samsung had decided to add facial recognition to the Galaxy S8 because of late doubts about the speed and reliability of the iris scanning feature also included in phone, so it's possible that the software algorithms still require some fine-tuning. However, it's more likely that Samsung's cameras rely on standard 2D facial recognition technology, which past demonstrations have shown can be easily tricked with two-dimensional photos, suggesting use as a standalone authentication feature remains limited.

Indeed, in a statement given to ArsTechnica, Samsung explained that facial recognition cannot be used to authenticate mobile payments or to access the device's Secure Folder, both of which require the use of the phone's other biometric features.
The Galaxy S8 provides various levels of biometric authentication, with the highest level of authentication from the iris scanner and fingerprint reader. In addition, the Galaxy S8 provides users with multiple options to unlock their phones through both biometric security options, and convenient options such as swipe and facial recognition. It is important to reiterate that facial recognition, while convenient, can only be used for opening your Galaxy S8 and currently cannot be used to authenticate access to Samsung Pay or Secure Folder.
Apple is said to be including both iris scanning and a facial recognition feature in this year's high-end "iPhone 8" device. The OLED iPhone is rumored to have a "revolutionary" front-facing camera system with infrared 3D sensing capabilities, which may go some way to overcoming the facial authentication limitations such as those found in Samsung's device. Apple is also thought to be embedding its Touch ID fingerprint technology into a modified Samsung OLED display.

Article Link: Facial Recognition Feature on Galaxy S8 Bypassed Using Just a Photo

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Ha! Well that was quick!!

Just to make sure: we're talking about the facial recognition feature that has been present in Android for years and that has never been secure (and is also labelled as such in the OS). The S8 also comes with retina scan and a fingerprint scanner.
[doublepost=1491046645][/doublepost]
So you can choose between secure Iris scanning which is slow as ****, unreliable and requires you to hold your phone in an awkward angle to your face and fast Face Recognition, which is as secure as a 2 digit passcode.

Cool.

Have you ever used an iris scanner? Didn't think so.

Comment

iosuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
I guess the camera and the screen on the S8 is just too good. Or maybe the team responsible for implementing this is that bad. Seriously no one tested this?

Maybe if the owner makes a stupid face that only he/she can remember to replicate during the initial setup lol.

Comment

BlueCreek

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2014
Just to make sure: we're talking about the facial recognition feature that has been present in Android for years and that has never been secure (and is also labelled as such in the OS). The S8 also comes with retina scan and a fingerprint scanner.
[doublepost=1491046645][/doublepost]

Have you even read the article? It says the iris scanner is slow and unreliable, so what's your problem?

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Comment

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany

There are lots of videos out there of Note 7.
You have to hold your phone in a way that puts your eyes inside of two medium sized circles shown on the display, which makes for an awkward angle and requires steady and precise holding.

When your eyes are exactly inside of the circle it works well, but the way of getting there is retarded.

Comment

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I've never had reliable experiences with facial recognition technologies. I think it should be reserved for loading "personal preferences" on a shared device, kind of like how the Xbox One did it. Fingerprints should be reserved for unlocking phones. And if it's reliable enough, iris scanning should go to things like paying on an online site.

Comment

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
The sad thing is that those are features people use because they feel they are too important. I mean, what level of co dependency do you have with your smart phone?

I have an iPhone 5, my life runs well, my smart phone will not make my life better at all. So I do not get people using all those security crap. Just have a back up of your stuff and that is it! If it get lost you can delete it remotely and that is it.

Comment

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
The sad thing is that those are features people use because they feel they are too important. I mean, what level of co dependency do you have with your smart phone?

I have an iPhone 5, my life runs well, my smart phone will not make my life better at all. So I do not get people using all those security crap. Just have a back up of your stuff and that is it! If it get lost you can delete it remotely and that is it.

+1 Very well spoken, besides the fact I still don't believe this article!

Cheers

Reactions: drumcat and Huck
Comment

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Uh oh. Face Gate! Perhaps that's why Apple is working on 3-D infrared scanning & face mapping tech for the next iPhone. But then all you'd have to do is hold up a sculpture of the persons face to unlock their phone I guess. Lol.

Just give me the old fashioned passcode & fingerprint tech and I'm fine.

Comment

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon

Thankfully you are not in charge of the world's future technology curve or we'd never move on from fire in a cave.

Comment

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Uh oh. Face Gate! Perhaps that's why Apple is working on 3-D infrared scanning & face mapping tech for the next iPhone. But then all you'd have to do is hold up a sculpture of the persons face to unlock their phone.

Yeh, the infrared is definitely missing on the Samsung! Good point.

Cheers

Comment

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2016
Thankfully you are not in charge of the world's future technology curve or we'd never move on from fire in a cave.

Do you know who IS in charge of your technology curve? Businessmen. So next time you proudly go around, proclaiming yourself as some ultra modern "progress" man, holding your shiny new tech-based toy, remember that none of it was intelligently planned with the idea of, or to better enhance your life. Most tech was invented to turn a profit and very little of it is actually good for the human condition.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.