Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I recently had a very bad experience with an "apple store". We all know and love the quality service and usefulness of apple stores around the globe. I've been to several apple stores in Europe, so I thought this was an official store in el Salvador. It looks exactly like an official apple store, so I decided to take my MacBook pro to their genius bar, and upgraded my hdd for a larger one. When I got it back my motherboard was fried, long story short, they're refusing to do anything about it. While arguing with them I found out they are not technicians or have any real training on how to service apple computers (yet they dress and look like apple geniuses). Their logic was that since they are not certified technicians there is no reason to do anything about my computer, even if they know THEY fried it. This is a real bs policy, and I was never told they weren't certified technicians, and that they wouldn't be responsible if anything happened to my computer. I feel they are tainting apples image, giving a sub-par service in their name. I know I was tricked into believing they were a real apple store, and more people are probably tricked as well. I was hoping someone here could point me out in the right direction so I can notify apple about this store.

Thanks in advanced

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have gone to El Salvador over 20 times....and there is no apple store in el Salvador!!!!!! I live in San Salvador and trust if there was an apple store, I would know!!!!

Those people should be fined. But in a third world countries you really can't do anything, you might tell the police but they won't give any crap.

Sorry about your MacBook. I will know for future references not to take any Mac products to be taken care of in el salvador, I just don't trust anybody with my devices ;)

Anyways, were you visiting the country as a foreigner? or you live there?:rolleyes:

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Where did you buy your Mac?
Upgrading the HDD isn't difficult, but anyways what was done was done.
Ate you sure they didn't hanged your mac's logic board with defective one to 'repair' another so they made more money by charging other customer with a logic board damage service?

Any store, service provider should cover damages to what they are servicing, or at least warranty.

In El Salavador might be some customer rights or protection agency, file a complaint.
Take pictures o the site and document everything, you repair order, invoice, etc.
Make them public if you feel comfortable doin that, so they balance loosing their business for a malpractice.
If they do that kind of scams you might not be the only one affected. Fight for your rights without risking your physical integrity.

Good look.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm Spanish, but my parents live here, so I'm here for the summer. Btw the store is in galerias mall, third level. Avoid it

---

Hi, there is a customer protection agency here, but they won't do anything about it, justice system is so broken here. That's why I was hoping I could take it directly to apple :)
Where did you buy your Mac?
Upgrading the HDD isn't difficult, but anyways what was done was done.
Ate you sure they didn't hanged your mac's logic board with defective one to 'repair' another so they made more money by charging other customer with a logic board damage service?

Any store, service provider should cover damages to what they are servicing, or at least warranty.

In El Salavador might be some customer rights or protection agency, file a complaint.
Take pictures o the site and document everything, you repair order, invoice, etc.
Make them public if you feel comfortable doin that, so they balance loosing their business for a malpractice.
If they do that kind of scams you might not be the only one affected. Fight for your rights without risking your physical integrity.

Good look.

Last edited by a moderator:

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm Spanish, but my parents live here, so I'm here for the summer. Btw the store is in galerias mall, third level. Avoid it

I'm Spanish too.

Is this colonia escalon? (rich shopping place)

I went to El Salvador about 2 weeks ago, but I would never realize how cruel those people at that Mac store are?

Is this the store?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wirednerd/489245495/

It looks so similar....but these people should be sued! :eek:

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm Spanish too.

I went to El Salvador about 2 weeks ago, but I would never realize how cruel those people at that Mac store are?

Is this the store?

Yep that's the one, but there is nothing on the glass anymore that says "mac store" it's just the big logo over the door.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Apple may be interested to know about it, but there's likely little they can do (and they probably already DO know about it).

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I'm Spanish too.

Is this the store?

Btw thanks a billion for the picture, now I know for fact there's at least another person with the same problem, I'm trying to contact this person now, see what we can do.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Si esta en un Mall de ese nivel tienen que responder. Averiua quien es el dueño. Puede ser que algún empleado este aprovechandose de los clientes.
Trata con el dueño. Averigua quie es el dueño del Mall, y hazles saber la clase de delincuente que operan allí.
Invierte un par de horas al día en evitar que vendan alertando a quienes entren o se interesen en entrar. Quedate en la entrada con tu Mac dañado para que la gente vea que esta pasando y así obtienes apoyo de otras víctimas y potenciales nuevas víctimas.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Si esta en un Mall de ese nivel tienen que responder. Averiua quien es el dueño. Puede ser que algún empleado este aprovechandose de los clientes.
Trata con el dueño. Averigua quie es el dueño del Mall, y hazles saber la clase de delincuente que operan allí.
Invierte un par de horas al día en evitar que vendan alertando a quienes entren o se interesen en entrar. Quedate en la entrada con tu Mac dañado para que la gente vea que esta pasando y así obtienes apoyo de otras víctimas y potenciales nuevas víctimas.

Let's see how much my Spanish has atrophied.

If you are in the mall ... something about they have to respond? Can something employed this approval of the clients? Something about knowing a class of delinquent operations there. Two hours of the day something alert someone who enters or is interested to enter. When you enter with your Mac for the people to look at it something and obtain approval/proof of other victims and prevent new victims.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008

Gracias por la sugerencia, ya se quienes son los dueños, pero comunicarse con ellos es un dolor de cabeza, llevo intentando todo el día. El dueño de la tienda es el mismo dueño del centro comercial así que si están de acuerdo con ese comportamiento dudo que hagan algo al respecto :/

If you are in the mall ... something about they have to respond? Can something employed this approval of the clients? Something about knowing a class of delinquent operations there. Two hours of the day something alert someone who enters or is interested to enter. When you enter with your Mac for the people to look at it something and obtain approval/proof of other victims and prevent new victims.

For the non-Spanish readers, he suggested that I figure out who the owner is, just in case the employees aren't taking advantage of the customers. Then I should take my Mac with me and stand outside the store warning new customers. And finally find out who the owner of the mall is, and let them know of their fraudulent activities. Problem with that is that I already know who the owners are, and it's hard to contact them, and they are the owners of the mall as well, which means they can kick me out for good if I stand outside the store scaring their customers away :/

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Btw thanks a billion for the picture, now I know for fact there's at least another person with the same problem, I'm trying to contact this person now, see what we can do.

No problem, trata de hacer algo para que te regresen el dinero!!!! :) buena suerte.
Habla con el dueño y trata de agarrar un abogado si piensas que están haciendo fraude.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
No problem, trata de hacer algo para que te regresen el dinero!!!! :) buena suerte.

Si el Mac esta todavía en garantía si lo puedes llevar a la tienda oficial.

Unfortunately it's out of warrantee :p I really have no problem with buying a new one, I just really don't want this to happen to anybody else. This is a poor country and most people can't afford new macs if they break. I really think they should be stopped.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Problem with that is that I already know who the owners are, and it's hard to contact them, and they are the owners of the mall as well,

So the owners of a large shopping and posh mall not only have allowed a fake Apple Store, but they own it :eek:. That seems pretty dodgy, and something Apple may be able to do something about.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

That's amazing! I started translating this on paper and was about to type what you just said(to clear up what I'd missed) almost word for word. :)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
For the non-Spanish readers, he suggested that I figure out who the owner is, just in case the employees aren't taking advantage of the customers. Then I should take my Mac with me and stand outside the store warning new customers. And finally find out who the owner of the mall is, and let them know of their fraudulent activities. Problem with that is that I already know who the owners are, and it's hard to contact them, and they are the owners of the mall as well, which means they can kick me out for good if I stand outside the store scaring their customers away :/

Wow, if that's a direct translation then my Spanish is horrible now :D

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So the owners of a large shopping and posh mall not only have allowed a fake Apple Store, but they own it :eek:. That seems pretty dodgy, and something Apple may be able to do something about.

You'd be surprised at how common things like this are in these parts of the world. Notifying apple seems like the best thing to do here, but I don't know who to email, or what number to call and report them.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
You'd be surprised at how common things like this are in these parts of the world. Notifying apple seems like the best thing to do here, but I don't know who to email, or what number to call and report them.

Try their public relations first. They may be able to set you up with the right people if there is any interest.

Apple Public Relations
(408) 974-2042

http://www.apple.com/contact/

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You'd be surprised at how common things like this are in these parts of the world.

If we were talking about a market - or an individual store in a mall or on the street I wouldn't be surprised in any developing country, but the owner of a big shopping mall has to be pretty rich/important - they aren't a small target.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I've been to San Salvador, I saw that store but I figured it was a fake one. Never did I realize how bad it actually was.

Gracias por la sugerencia, ya se quienes son los dueños, pero comunicarse con ellos es un dolor de cabeza, llevo intentando todo el día. El dueño de la tienda es el mismo dueño del centro comercial así que si están de acuerdo con ese comportamiento dudo que hagan algo al respecto :/

Wow, that explains alot. I would caution you that rich people (like mall owners in our third world countries) don't give a rat's ass about their customers. After all, they are the sole providers.

See what they do there?

Small caution, in Honduras, the only store selling Macs is Jetstereo, BIG warning there. THEY DO NOT honor warranties of any kind.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I've been to San Salvador, I saw that store but I figured it was a fake one. Never did I realize how bad it actually was.

Wow, that explains alot. I would caution you that rich people (like mall owners in our third world countries) don't give a rat's ass about their customers. After all, they are the sole providers.

See what they do there?

Small caution, in Honduras, the only store selling Macs is Jetstereo, BIG warning there. THEY DO NOT honor warranties of any kind.

Thanks, there's at least two other stores that sell them here, but I really thought this was a legit apple store, I blind trusted the apple brand and hoped they would be better than the competition, or in the worst case at least fix it if they screwed up or something. Now I know better.

PS lastima lo del mundial, deseaba que Honduras pasara la etapa de grupos.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Still a certified reseller, and if they are letting untrained techs work on people's machines ... Apple should be warned.

Especially when they are damaging machines, then saying they cannot stand behind it because untrained techs did the work.

---

Sort of like a Ford dealer letting somebody change your oil, blow up the engine when they fail to install the filter, then tell the customer they can't do anything because the janitor changed the oil. And their policy only covers trained mechanics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.