Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by skottichan, Jun 4, 2015.

1. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Kinda surprised I haven't seen a thread for it yet.

Some of the info coming out has me excited too; voiced player character, setting is Boston, a tutorial set before the Great War.

The official announcement with release date and everything will be June 14th at 7pm EST.

2. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Yup, it is going to be good to see another Fallout, but it would still be kinda nice to see Fallout 3 and New Vegas brought to the Mac without having to rely on Wine and Bootcamp etc.

3. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

I played through Fallout 3 and got maybe half way through New Vegas. Personally the landscapes of Fallout have always been too washed out and muddy for me to get get excited about. They're not bad games but Skyrim's always been my favorite. I'm a sucker for a pretty forest.

4. patrickcwelsh macrumors member

I'm not sure if it'll be what I'm picturing, but it would be pretty chilling to play a tutorial before the war, then return as the main character at some point later and see what has become of the place. Maybe even have a character from the tutorial still around, perhaps as a ghoul. It would make the decaying neighborhood feel just a tad more personal, which would be a nice change from the indifference I usually feel when I'm just hunting health packs.

5. skottichan thread starter macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I think that's part of why I'm excited for Fallout 4, having it set in Boston opens up the ability to have a more verdant world (as opposed to Fallout # & New Vegas' Nevada).

6. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

I am happy about the Boston setting myself as I have lived most of my life in that area until recently moving south to North Carolina.

Oh, yeah. "Love that dirty water, Boston you're my home!"

Here ya go:

Enjoy!

It would be just too cool if they get the rights and this is in the game.

7. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

see i loved fallout 3, and new vegas, played every inch of the games and the dlc.

and i wanted to love skyrim but couldn't. was bored. managed 20 mins of it. not into dragons and **** like that. fallout had decent stories about life.

8. xSinghx, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015

xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

I finished everything in Fallout 3, and liked it quite a bit. NV I got about 80-100 hours into before I lost interest, but don't mistake what I'm saying they are both solid games.

However, if you only played 20mins of Skyrim I'm not even sure if you'd make it out of the tutorial. It would be like me saying I stopped playing Fallout 3 before I left the Vault. Both have incredibly restrictive openings - Skyrim I would argue more so. Once it sets you free to explore, the game really sinks its hooks into you. For me more so than Fallout by the added freedom I felt Skyrim offers with less linearity of quests and locations. The Fallout NV map was like a big horseshoe if I remember correctly. All of them are worthy of anyone's time I just preferred the variety of scenery and extensive modding options that could be done with Skyrim. (Fallout 4 as Scotti suggested may very well offer us more variety of color and texture or at least the inevitable mods for it.)

I'd argue you should give Skyrim another chance and maybe this time look at some of the mods for it if you hadn't the first time around. You'll never get Fallout3 to look like this (unfortunately):

I'll even upload a couple of my own screenshots just to entice you :p:p

Edit: Uploading photos
    S1.jpg S2.jpg S3.jpg S4.jpg S5.jpg S7.jpg

(Some of these are without mods - some with)

9. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Could you post a list of the best mods by name so that people who are not up on the mods world know what to get hold of, I assume they are all available from Nexusmods - http://www.nexusmods.com/games/?

10. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

I'll make a new thread for it tomorrow.

11. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Sounds like a great idea :)

12. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Any update on this ?

13. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

great post, i know i should give it another try, but its the storyline...dragons....magic.....smiting with swords....

fallout had the robots and a cool storyline, to be honest fallout 3 was the better game but fallout new vegas had the great storyline.

if they were 3 films id love FNV, enjoy F3, and not even press play on skyrim.

but youve persuaded me, ill try again :D

14. 6r4ff3r macrumors member

Played F3 and FNV for hundreds of hours, and i hope this F4 will be good.

Ill wait for the GOTY version...but for now, lets wait for 14th June :D

15. winston1236 macrumors 68000

I loved the others in the series but was pretty shocked to see a flat texture map on the dog in the reveal trailer. With Project Cars and the Battlefield series from Dice showing amazing visuals I hope FO4 doesn't fall flat.

16. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

It's pretty grotesque how little importance Bethesda places on modeling or graphics. Ultimately they know the modders will pick up the slack, I guess.

17. xSinghx, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

Awesome!;)

Well not to give away too many spoilers but there's also the thieves guild storyline you can play through, or you could align yourself with the vampires or werewolves and play as one of them. Magic and bows are an option if you don't like a sword (I didn't) and if you have the DLC you can always work on building (literally) your house!

I posted a short guide on modding here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/skyrim-modding-an-introduction.1891512/

18. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I'll definitely be picking up FO4. Played through FO3 3 different times, with all DLC, and Vegas with all DLC. Didn't like Vegas nearly as much as the previous.

I agree on the washed out graphics. The Gears of War color palette needs to go.

19. winston1236 macrumors 68000

I even saw an interview of some head guy over there and he wasn't even concerned by the graphics. I don't get it. Awesome story line, PS2 graphics....

20. skottichan thread starter macrumors 6502a

skottichan

21. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Looking forward to this more than any other game this year.

22. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

23. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

If you weren't watching the presentation you probably missed the Bethesda.net announcement. The major news sites were apparently as distracted by the shiny demos as the fanboys, with little to no coverage of it.

https://www.pixeldynamo.com/news/ga...thesda-net-the-future-hub-of-things-bethesda/

How do people feel about having to have yet another Steam-like (presumably) DRM platform to open to get to their game?

24. skottichan thread starter macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Not really bothered, I don't think I have any games that requires Steam to be open to play, even the Valve ones.

Hell, thinking about it, I don't need to have Origin open to play Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Burnout Paradise.

I've a feeling we'll have the same option if we elect to use Bethesda.net

25. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

If game companies have their own DRM client for their games I have no issue with that concept, but if they do have there own client then surely that does or should do away with steam other than as a seller outlet, that would mean less bigger companies/developers using steam as an outlet to play and or protect their games. This was one of the reasons I stopped using steam because of the double clienting issue.