Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I bit the bullet and picked up FO76 along with the subscription. I was playing on the private server and that was enjoyable, and as I mentioned I really wanted something different apparel wise, and the NCR ranger outfit from New Vegas fit the bill.

I'll probably regret spending the money but being in locked down, I need things to help pass the time

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I finished the An Ounce of Prevention quest, so I'm "inoculated" against the scorch disease - I wished it was that easy for Covid-19 :p

Anyways, I'm up to level 15, somewhat pleased with my progression. I've set up my camp, near the water built a water purifier and generators. For some reason, I only had a large purifier plan, which was a pain. I needed two medium generators. I found if you claim a workshop, you get that plan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My next step is to farm adhesives, which is pretty easy to do.

Seems that player vending has been disabled, I really could have purchased some ammo on a couple of occasions, but oh well.

I'm enjoying the game, though I know at times it can be a grind. The First Responders fire breather quest line just opened up and if memory serves me, that can be a bit of a grind. Given that we're getting 2xp this weekend, I'll probably plug away at that

The perk card system continues to be the bain of my existence, its more of luck/random thing, and it will take a long time to get some of the cards that I want. I was initially going with a melee build, but a sniper build seems to be falling into place for me. This is my preference anyways with FO4

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@Huntn
What do you think about the private servers? Have you used them at all?
Well, if I understand it correctly as a subscriber, you have access to your own private server that you can invite 7 guests to play on. However unlike a Conan Exiles or an ARK Survival Evolved private server that you are renting per month, and have admin control over, the “private” server you get as part of your F76 subscription, you have no control over it from an admin perspective.

So since I’ve started playing, I’ve always been on a private server, mostly my own, but sometimes join a higher level Guild friend private server so I can take purified water from their water purifier or can grab other goodies. As far as the settler and raider starter packs they really don’t impress me, although for the subscription, the 1600 atoms per month, and tent option is a real convienence!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve always been on a private server, mostly my own
I've been doing a mixture, I was on a public server earlier yesterday, and someone dressed like a scorched jumped out at me, it was a player not an NPC - the initial knee jerk reaction was to shoot. Luckily, both of us decided not to keep shooting at each other. :)

When I need certain supplies, that can be hard to find, I go off on a private server then, but I find having players around (even if I barely interact with them) provides a level of enjoyment.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been doing a mixture, I was on a public server earlier yesterday, and someone dressed like a scorched jumped out at me, it was a player not an NPC - the initial knee jerk reaction was to shoot. Luckily, both of us decided not to keep shooting at each other. :)

When I need certain supplies, that can be hard to find, I go off on a private server then, but I find having players around (even if I barely interact with them) provides a level of enjoyment.
My understanding is that if you kill a other player, you get a bounty on your head for other players to take advantage of. I still view Fallout as a solo experience, but it is handy to get help at times especially for some events, I could see a public server as a good choice.

I’m not 100% sure, but I believe:
  • There can be 24 players on a public server.
  • You can have 7 guests on your private server.
  • A team can only have 4 players. My impression is that team members share XP.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
you get a bounty on your head for other players to take advantage of.
Correct, also if you're attacked by someone but don't retaliate then the damage inflicted by the aggressor is insignificant, i.e., you can ignore him and walk away.

If you do fight back, then the damage is commensurate to the weapon strength, in my specific example, I think we both scared each other and so we both fired and were both showing hostile, nothing more happened. Both of use didn't pursue the actions. Also once you become wanted, you lose the ability to see others on the map, but you are marked as wanted.

I could see a public server as a good choice.
Even solo it can be good. I've never played it with a team, but its nice to have others around. Plus other players can be vendors, so you can buy supplies if needed. Plus a hidden benefit is fast traveling to them, even in undiscovered locations. I can fast travel fairly close to the Top Of the World location simply because there was a vendor in the vicinity. That meant I didn't need to trudge from Flatwoods all the way there.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I finished the An Ounce of Prevention quest, so I'm "inoculated" against the scorch disease - I wished it was that easy for Covid-19 :p

Anyways, I'm up to level 15, somewhat pleased with my progression. I've set up my camp, near the water built a water purifier and generators. For some reason, I only had a large purifier plan, which was a pain. I needed two medium generators. I found if you claim a workshop, you get that plan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My next step is to farm adhesives, which is pretty easy to do.

Seems that player vending has been disabled, I really could have purchased some ammo on a couple of occasions, but oh well.

I'm enjoying the game, though I know at times it can be a grind. The First Responders fire breather quest line just opened up and if memory serves me, that can be a bit of a grind. Given that we're getting 2xp this weekend, I'll probably plug away at that

The perk card system continues to be the bain of my existence, its more of luck/random thing, and it will take a long time to get some of the cards that I want. I was initially going with a melee build, but a sniper build seems to be falling into place for me. This is my preference anyways with FO4
I’m in whine mode this morning. The perk system SUCKS, it’s not intuitive, not clear, I’ve managed to assign 2 points to a SPECIAL category I don’t need. I don’t have an issue with forcing players to have card sets, but damn it, make it easy to do. :mad:

Have I ever told you I am grind sensitive? Right now I have two issues with the game, radiation mitigation, and adequate ammo. If I run out of Rad-Away (which can’t be made) and don’t have that Sun Kissed Perk, my impression is that I am hosed. I need to notice if death alters the amount of rad contamination. Maybe jumping off a cliff is the answer. ;) I probably have 9 Rad-Away on me at the moment, but I’m still worrying about running out. I don’t yet have the water purifier plans.

There is an interactive map which shows location of resource, but I really don’t like, have never liked having to spend dedicated time searching for resources because it is busy work, although I don’t mind collecting junk as I explore. I collect a lot of junk, yet I don’t have that much raw resources for making bullets.

The .308 bullet requires 12 steel, 8 lead, and 5 gunpowder for 20 bullets, that is ridiculous. Besides that most bullet cartridges are made of brass, is a unit of steel a thimbleful? If I am not mistaken, you can make substantial objects with 2 Steel. I view a unit of lead, steel or gunpowder should be enough to make at least a 100 bullets, if not more. Bullets, the projectile part are just not that big.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The perk system SUCKS
Yep, I'm no fan, I'd rather have the freedom to choose how I want to customize my player instead of some random thrown together list.

never liked having to spend dedicated time searching for resources
Yeah me too, and so far I've not really needed to do that. My involvement in a quest is sufficient to get most things.

I don’t yet have the water purifier plans.
The water purified plans are in the overseers locker in Camp McClintock. Generally speaking if you follow the main quest line, you get much of the essentials needed to play.

The .308 bullet requires 12 steel, 8 lead, and 5 gunpowder for 20 bullets, that is ridiculous.
I'm not worked up over it, and I generally find .308 easy enough, and when that seems to be short supply, then crafting it is the option. I'm happy with a hundred rounds, More then that is overkill and since ammo has weight in the game, carrying too much is counter-productive. I've found killing robots (say near Flatwoods) gives me the lead scrap needed, and I see to stumble upon gun powder in enough quantities that I have a decent supply.

I have a legendary .44 revolver and I modded that to use a longer barrel and it game with a medium range site so that's been invaluable to inflicting damage at a distance. Crafting the .44 is more economical then .308. I'm at point where my hunting rifle isn't doing enough damage, but I'm not at a rank where more powerful weapons are usable.

I am grind sensitive?
Some of the quests are true grinds and I hate it. For instance, there's a DMV quest (I think its related to the BOS series of quests) and its as painful as going to the DMV in RL. I have no idea why the developers at Bethesda thought that was a good idea. What really grinds my gears is quests that start in one location of the map, and you then have to go to a far off location, then go back, then go again - back and forth.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yep, I'm no fan, I'd rather have the freedom to choose how I want to customize my player instead of some random thrown together list.

Yeah me too, and so far I've not really needed to do that. My involvement in a quest is sufficient to get most things.

The water purified plans are in the overseers locker in Camp McClintock. Generally speaking if you follow the main quest line, you get much of the essentials needed to play.

I'm not worked up over it, and I generally find .308 easy enough, and when that seems to be short supply, then crafting it is the option. I'm happy with a hundred rounds, More then that is overkill and since ammo has weight in the game, carrying too much is counter-productive. I've found killing robots (say near Flatwoods) gives me the lead scrap needed, and I see to stumble upon gun powder in enough quantities that I have a decent supply.

I have a legendary .44 revolver and I modded that to use a longer barrel and it game with a medium range site so that's been invaluable to inflicting damage at a distance. Crafting the .44 is more economical then .308. I'm at point where my hunting rifle isn't doing enough damage, but I'm not at a rank where more powerful weapons are usable.

Some of the quests are true grinds and I hate it. For instance, there's a DMV quest (I think its related to the BOS series of quests) and its as painful as going to the DMV in RL. I have no idea why the developers at Bethesda thought that was a good idea. What really grinds my gears is quests that start in one location of the map, and you then have to go to a far off location, then go back, then go again - back and forth.
I was given a gift of about 300 .308 rounds. I don’t have a lot of the other rounds, say 50-70 and when I’m relying On .38 or 10mm, I temd to burn through that as it takes like 5 hits to drop a lot of the mobs.

I’ve not seen the DMV quest. I guess I should stick to the main quest instead of spending a lot of time on side quests, so among other things, I can get the water purifiers blueprint.

Good tip about the robots at Flatbush. I did that event once, where the robots turn on humans, it pops up often, but last time I did it I burned through quite a bit of ammo. And as I said, my bolt action weapons a rule suck. I recently got a pump action shotgun, but am on the short side for rounds for it. :)

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
IMHO the problem isn't so much the multiplayer function itself, but the fact that modern game publishers have almost completely given-up on the type of multiplayer that so many of us enjoy; cooperative multiplayer. There was a day when you could pick up a brand-new game, host a server, and have friends join you in an adventure, and it could be freaking great. I'm not saying there is no point in player vs. player games, that can be fun too, but they are a very different type of multiplayer experience. Maybe it is mostly down to EA, who axed co-op multiplayer from DAO as soon as the purchased Bioware (and then halfway ruined both sequels by attempting to meld great, complex, rich character-and-story-drive RPGs with mind-numbingly simple and boring button-mashing "action" combat mechanics; the now normal BiowEAre norm). That definitely seems to have been something of a turning-point - when RPGs became overwhelmingly single-player and multiplayer was mostly relegated to PvP.
Exactly! I will definitely play multi if it is coop, at least in certain areas, but pass if everything is PvP. I might possibly play if it is team vs mode. But not single PvP where there is no protection from griefers.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve not seen the DMV quest.
Its part of the BOS quest line. In all honest, I'm not sure how much further I want to take follow the original quest. This (like the BOS) have no human NPCs, and its main questline not wasterlanders. I'm just about finished with Keys to the Past and its been a bit of a grind. You get a nice melee weapon from Rose (a robot) when you finish Flavors of Mayhem

I finally got to level 20, I have a nice combat rifle, though its less powered then hunting rifle, i.e. damage of 33 when the sniper .308 rifile I have has a damage of 74

If memory serves me, i stopped playing when I was at level 40-ish and I was able to progress through the Belly of the Beast quest - The enemies around Watoga were simply too strong. I think you need to be 50+ at that point. I think I'll finish up with Rose's quests and start moving on to the wasterlander's DLC questline.

I know you're averse to grinding, but this game is very grindy and Bethesda made it more so by nerfing some weapons and payouts when killing some NPCs. I think at one point people were finishing the questline too fast and back in the early days there's wasn't much else to do, so they nerfed a lot things to make the game more grindy.

Thanks to the downtime yesterday, I spent most of my time away from the game and it was a nice break. Like I said I want to finish the Rose quests, and then maybe play around and/or start the wasterlanders.

I built a nice camp, but maybe I'll re-work that as well and as I collect more crap, I'll eventually set up a vending machine

1589977418721.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Speaking of quests, it was mentioned to me by a guildmate that many players put off the main quest until they are 50, because the (legendary?) weapons that are rewarded are then scaled to a L50 player. My counter is that it would seem normal to pursue the main quest as you go along, and that maybe these weapons would help you succeed earlier in the game?

From what I’ve seen, I find it hard to believe that Bethesda thought this game without NPCs (not counting scorched) would be a satisfactory experience.

One nice thing about being in a guild is that I was complaining about not yet finding water purifier plans, and one of the higher level players came by my camp and set up 5 of the smaller water purifiers and a generator. :) I’m surprised that the game allows you to set up equipment in other player’s camps.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Speaking of quests, it was mentioned to me by a guildmate that many players put off the main quest until they are 50,
I can believe it. I'm currently stuck at the wendago cave, on the keys to the past quest. I spent an hour making way through the cave dying constantly thanks to the miralurk hunters. I've not even gotten to try to attack the wendago. I finally gave up, and the next time I fire up the game, if I have to re-start the whole cave crawl, re-killing those hunters, I'll just give up on that quest for the time being.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We're the bugs ever fixed on this game?
Well, I don't know. Since I've started playing about 2 weeks ago, I've had several crashes to desktop but it's not like it's a daily thing. Overall, everything seems to play as advertised. As a longtime F4 player, this is prettier than F4, but it's harder because I don't have the console that allows me to alter the game... ok cheat on my terms. ;) ? ?

The biggest plus is the Wastelander's Update that brought NPCs, as in human beings into the game that you can interact with.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I so bleeping frustrated :mad: - I was doing the Keys to the Past quest, and I'm nearing the end. I think I'm on the last key fragment to retrieve. That key is in a wendago cave, my first attempt was marred by the fact that I couldn't get at the wendago, he was hiding/sleeping or not moving. It took me forever to get to that point because I kept dying thanks to a pair of Miralurk hunters.

I decided to give up and restart later in the day.

I go back even before I get into the cave a legendary glowing wendago mauls me to death in like 2 seconds. I respawn and he's gone - phew.
I go into the cave and instead of finding a couple of ghouls, I get some legendary high leveled ghouls - death several times but I eventually dispatch them, at the expense of a lot of ammo
I move on and die thanks to the Razer clawed miralurks (heck they weren't there before).
I finally get to the miralurk hunters (I brought a rocket launcher) and dispatch them w/o dying yay.
I get close to a wendago, and a glowing legendary miralurk king ambushes me, and I die nearly instantly (he wasn't there before)

WTF, the entire cave was over-leveled for me. I de-selected the quest and maybe I'll return to it when I'm like a level 50 or something. I'm out of ammo and I need to grind to get more but I'm so frustrated, I'll take a break and play Cities skylines for a bit

• Wow

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I so bleeping frustrated :mad: - I was doing the Keys to the Past quest, and I'm nearing the end. I think I'm on the last key fragment to retrieve. That key is in a wendago cave, my first attempt was marred by the fact that I couldn't get at the wendago, he was hiding/sleeping or not moving. It took me forever to get to that point because I kept dying thanks to a pair of Miralurk hunters.

I decided to give up and restart later in the day.

I go back even before I get into the cave a legendary glowing wendago mauls me to death in like 2 seconds. I respawn and he's gone - phew.
I go into the cave and instead of finding a couple of ghouls, I get some legendary high leveled ghouls - death several times but I eventually dispatch them, at the expense of a lot of ammo
I move on and die thanks to the Razer clawed miralurks (heck they weren't there before).
I finally get to the miralurk hunters (I brought a rocket launcher) and dispatch them w/o dying yay.
I get close to a wendago, and a glowing legendary miralurk king ambushes me, and I die nearly instantly (he wasn't there before)

WTF, the entire cave was over-leveled for me. I de-selected the quest and maybe I'll return to it when I'm like a level 50 or something. I'm out of ammo and I need to grind to get more but I'm so frustrated, I'll take a break and play Cities skylines for a bit
I thought this game was supposed to level scale. I think it normally does to some degree, but as a L16 player hanging out with a L32 player, the mobs that spawned where mid 20s and my pitiful low level Guns hardly scratched them. I let him take the lead and tried to avoid aggro. Also note in this The Tadpole Quest, one part requires having an ally to heal.

So in your case, is this in the main quest chain, and how far into it, is it?

I assume if people wait to do the main quest until they are 50, it’s because of scaling of the reward, but then I wonder if this makes the quests relatively harder?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I thought this game was supposed to level scale.
Yeah me too :oops:

how far into it, is it?

I'm finishing up the raider portion of the main quest line.
The quest categories are
Vault (getting started stuff)
Responders
Raiders
Free States
Brother of Steel
Enclave

I'm at the end portion of the Raider's set of quests
1590074333784.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I find I spend quite a bit of time at the beginning of any play session sorting though Inventory, breaking down gear I don’t need that previously got shoved into the tent stash, collecting plants for soup and cooking food. It took me awhile to figure out that collecting plant matter and meat in advance without cooking it immediately is not worth it due to the high spoilage rate, so it is collect and cook. One reason why the cook station with the tent is valuable. My preferred plant soup right now is the glowing mushrooms (or whatever they are called) because they give food, water value and some resistance to rads.

There is a group in my guild who spend most of their time doing events and daily. Sometimes I participate and pick up a lot of xp, but that is not my usual play style, I want to explore but I don’t necessarily want an advance player holding my hand, rushing me though content, unless I need the help.

I realize I’m repeating myself, but in some ways, due to food, drink, and ammo requirements, some of which can eventually be mitigated though perks, the game is more work than I prefer and at this point I’m good with a month to month subscription instead of springing for a year.

I’m finally keying on gear with different stats vs static stats, I can look at a list of pump shotguns all with different damage, but you’d only know by looking at each one.
[automerge]1590251332[/automerge]
Yeah me too :oops:

I'm finishing up the raider portion of the main quest line.
The quest categories are
Vault (getting started stuff)
Responders
Raiders
Free States
Brother of Steel
Enclave

I'm at the end portion of the Raider's set of quests
View attachment 917340
What link is this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
the game is more work than I prefer and at this point I’m good with a month to month
The game can be work at times, some of it can be enjoyable. Outer then that quest that I'm unable to finish, it seems things are balanced pretty well. I think you can easily get into a decent rhythm with regard to your food and drink, I have like 90 purified water in my stash, and so I keep 10 to 15 in my inventory, and as I mentioned, with the cannibal you don't need to carry much food. You do take a hit on radaition when you eat a corpse though. I still carry some food and I'm never in want for any sort of food.

As for the Fallout First, I'm enjoying it for the following reasons.
1. Survival tent - I'm finding some good uses for that, I have my camp set uip by a river so I can use my water purifier. I have my workbenches there and everything. I use the survival tent as a means to hopping back to a given location that I know I'll have to keep returning too. For instance, when I was doing the wayward quests, I knew I'd be needing to return to the waywrd so I set up my survival tent there, so I could fast travel back there without spending caps.

2. Scrapbox, unlimited junk storage is a big plus, in playing this on my PS4, back when it came out, the original storage limits were 400 and I bumped up against that almost immediately, heck, I'm at 400 now, and my junk is in the scrapbox. So that gives me a lot of flexibility.

3. private worlds, I've been using this more and more, especially since player vending has been disabled. There's almost no reason for me to be on a public server. Its nice to be on a public server and interact with other players, but you don't have to deal with griefers, or players grabbing supplies like fusion cores before you get there. Once Bethesda opens up player vending, I'll probably spend more time there as its an easy way to jump to a location that you haven't visited and you can get most of anything you need or want.

With that said, I opted for the entire year's worth of fallout first, since in the long run it is cheaper, though I do wonder if I'll be playing this game in 6 months. Only time will tell.

What link is this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see that I forgot to include this link in my reply

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The game can be work at times, some of it can be enjoyable. Outer then that quest that I'm unable to finish, it seems things are balanced pretty well. I think you can easily get into a decent rhythm with regard to your food and drink, I have like 90 purified water in my stash, and so I keep 10 to 15 in my inventory, and as I mentioned, with the cannibal you don't need to carry much food. You do take a hit on radaition when you eat a corpse though. I still carry some food and I'm never in want for any sort of food.

As for the Fallout First, I'm enjoying it for the following reasons.
1. Survival tent - I'm finding some good uses for that, I have my camp set uip by a river so I can use my water purifier. I have my workbenches there and everything. I use the survival tent as a means to hopping back to a given location that I know I'll have to keep returning too. For instance, when I was doing the wayward quests, I knew I'd be needing to return to the waywrd so I set up my survival tent there, so I could fast travel back there without spending caps.

2. Scrapbox, unlimited junk storage is a big plus, in playing this on my PS4, back when it came out, the original storage limits were 400 and I bumped up against that almost immediately, heck, I'm at 400 now, and my junk is in the scrapbox. So that gives me a lot of flexibility.

3. private worlds, I've been using this more and more, especially since player vending has been disabled. There's almost no reason for me to be on a public server. Its nice to be on a public server and interact with other players, but you don't have to deal with griefers, or players grabbing supplies like fusion cores before you get there. Once Bethesda opens up player vending, I'll probably spend more time there as its an easy way to jump to a location that you haven't visited and you can get most of anything you need or want.

With that said, I opted for the entire year's worth of fallout first, since in the long run it is cheaper, though I do wonder if I'll be playing this game in 6 months. Only time will tell.
I can’t imagine playing this game without a survival tent. I collect a ton of junk and again, the tent is a lifesaver For fast travel. Those evil bastards at Bethesda know this. ;) The camp sites are smaller than I would prefer. I like being on a river.

Last night I heard some complaints about player vending or something else being broken for 2 weeks.

That’s always the thing about an Online game, it costs compared to a solo game. Fallout 4, $60 and a I’m playing it 5 years later. And while multiplayer can be fun, there are definitely compromises that make it a less immersive world than a solo RPG and no Admin access. I may be playing this for up to 6 months. That is my current projection.

It will be interesting to see what the next Fallout game looks like, if solo or if Bethesda decides more money can be made in an online Game. I hope not.

I hate up North and the desolate valley. It’s almost as bad as the Glowing Sea. ;) I was up there for the Tadpole Quest. The Rad Scorpions are much tougher than in F4 as they are armored like the Murlocks, or I am so much weaker as compared to F4. A friend says shoot off the tails. I need to try that. While there, I did some Grafton quests, including the dam, and helped a robot at the Water Park figure out what happened to her Freddy.

This one of the bad aspects of joining the team of senior player. All of the mobs spawn to their level, not yours, although you’ll pick up more XP under that circumstance. Later as part of that quest, I had to go to Dolly Sods over in the East, I joined the team of a senior player, fast traveled to his tent in the vicinity for (for free) and ran into a level 60 bear. Fortunately he was there or I would have been toast.

I finally met the Overseer. I was thinking this quest was part of the original game (I don’t know why) So I was kind of surprised to meet a living NPC who gave me a quest.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Last night I heard some complaints about player vending or something else being broken for 2 weeks.
Yeah, its been a pain, and its the reason why I'm on the private server as I mentioend.

I asked about the wendago cave in the Bethesda forums, and I got some insightful advice, including the fact that I'm too low of a level. Seems kind of odd, to have a quest that's probably in the 1/2 half of main quest be too weak to handle the cave. I suspected as much but I thought maybe level 30 or something, but I think I need to sit tight and grind, till I get to level 50. Using stealth, something I largely ignore in my perk card selection was also recommended. I'll have to consider that as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.