Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Question about this. It says on Apple's website you can share content without sharing an Apple ID and password. Does this mean my Fiancee can now use her own Apple ID and we can both share each others purchases?

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Does it extend to music / tvshows / movies that were purchased from the app store e.t.c. ?

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
I'm wondering if this will include past purchases made as well, BEFORE you were using the same card...

I believe it will. The way I understand it is that you link your accounts into a "family account". Once the link is there it should have your entire purchase history. Apple hasn't historically been very good at segmenting this type of information out.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Question about this. It says on Apple's website you can share content without sharing an Apple ID and password. Does this mean my Fiancee can now use her own Apple ID and we can both share each others purchases?

Only if it uses the same credit card and you have her added as a family member,

Alonso Quijano

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Family Sharing

It doesn't seem to require that you share the same credit card information

Hmm..

(Sorry, I didn't see there was already a thread on this topic)

Photo Jun 02, 4 44 59 PM.png

Photo Jun 02, 4 45 02 PM.png

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Single best new feature to iOS 8 in my opinion. This solves so many problems and very ugly, unworkable hacks for a lot of people.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Well I'm not sure if this works for me and the wife for calendars. Currently we share our personal calendars with edit permission and in-app notifications. From what I read it creates a Family calendar...... so if I populate my personal calendar with something both of us will attend, I then have to post the same event on the Family calendar? That would suck.

But I do like the Family reminders w/notification!!

geoff2

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
I believe it will. The way I understand it is that you link your accounts into a "family account". Once the link is there it should have your entire purchase history. Apple hasn't historically been very good at segmenting this type of information out.
Thanks for the clarification. My kids have long had an account that they've shared, but there's always the problem with sharing items among different parties; possible by sharing usernames/passwords, but clunky. This seems like a great solution for families for things like, for example, sharing movies.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Well I'm not sure if this works for me and the wife for calendars. Currently we share our personal calendars with edit permission and in-app notifications. !

I'm hoping this lets me see my partner's calendar but not have it popping up reminders when he's due to go into a meeting. I want to see his calendar to see whether he is having a busy day, but I don't want Notification Centre to count his appointments as mine.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I'm hoping this lets me see my partner's calendar but not have it popping up reminders when he's due to go into a meeting. I want to see his calendar to see whether he is having a busy day, but I don't want Notification Centre to count his appointments as mine.

Yeah I understand that. Those are some of the drawbacks now when you share a calendar. I see this family share calendar/reminder as somewhere to place shared stuff. Lets see how the beta's report the functionality before we condemn it.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
I'm not sure I like the photo sharing implementation vs. how my wife and I use it now. Looks like you will just choose what to post to a shared photostream. I would rather have the option to automatically post everything into a shared stream. This is how we use it now by adding my iCloud account to her devices.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
I'm not sure I like the photo sharing implementation vs. how my wife and I use it now. Looks like you will just choose what to post to a shared photostream. I would rather have the option to automatically post everything into a shared stream. This is how we use it now by adding my iCloud account to her devices.
To me it looks like everything you take will go into a shared stream. It appears as though the "camera roll" is gone, and we will now just be seeing a shared stream.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
To me it looks like everything you take will go into a shared stream. It appears as though the "camera roll" is gone, and we will now just be seeing a shared stream.

I'm not sure this will fly. So I get a 32GB iPhone and with all the apps, iOS, and music I still have 20GB left. If I choose to keep 10GB of photos in my camera roll but Apple only allows 5GB free, there's no way you can be forced to purchase additional iCloud space.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California

Yes, I agree! All of the language I've seen so far suggests that this will simply be a special shared photo stream - in which case, what's the point? We already have that. I don't want to manually add photos to a family photo stream - what a pain! I want it to happen automatically.

Like you, my wife and I currently use the same primary iCloud account to get our photos synced automatically. This is annoying because it prevents us from using the more personal iCloud sync features that are limited to the primary account (Safari bookmarks, etc).

I hope this is wrong and the family photo stream is (or can be, optionally) automatic.

Additionally, I didn't see anything about shared/synced contacts. Very disappointing. Since most of our contacts are people we both know, we use the same iCloud account for that too. But it doesn't always work well - particularly in the case of Siri. If I tell Siri that a particular contact is me, my wife's Siri picks up the same change (and thinks she is also me). Dumb! :eek: There is a workaround (create a Siri-only contact for yourself on the Mac and sync it via iTunes) but we discovered even that got overridden at some point. You'd think this wouldn't be difficult. :rolleyes:

You'd also think that family-shared contacts would be very useful for people with many work contacts; a better way to keep the two separated. Right now you can sync contacts with multiple different iCloud accounts, but I don't even know how it syncs (other than poorly). When I create a new contact on my phone, which iCloud account does it go into? Despite syncing with the same iCloud accounts, my wife's contacts and mine have become out of sync with each other. Contacts on the Mac are also out of sync. It's frustrating.

If I decide to test iOS 8 (always a gamble since I don't have a separate development device, though I am a legitimate iOS developer), I'll be sure to test these things and provide strong feedback to Apple.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
I'm not sure this will fly. So I get a 32GB iPhone and with all the apps, iOS, and music I still have 20GB left. If I choose to keep 10GB of photos in my camera roll but Apple only allows 5GB free, there's no way you can be forced to purchase additional iCloud space.
True. I will have to play with it / see what others say. I was more alluding to the fact that they seem to have harmonized the different places for photos. (IE why duplicate my camera roll in my photo stream. Now you're eating twice my storage).

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
If I decide to test iOS 8 (always a gamble since I don't have a separate development device, though I am a legitimate iOS developer), I'll be sure to test these things and provide strong feedback to Apple.

Please do. I'm interested in the calendar and reminder under Family sharing.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
One Small Problem

If you have 2 apple Id's -1 for iTunes and 1 for iCloud like I do, it will not allow you to Family Share. Your ITunes ID MUST be your iCloud ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.