Fan Control on 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ahheck01, May 25, 2011.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

Out of habit I tried installing SMCFanControl, but it doesn't work on my 3.4Ghz i7 iMac. I do a lot of video editing, rendering, encoding, etc., and would like to be able to control minimum fan speed. Anyone have something that works well?

Thanks!

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Dont. Why would you? Whats the point? Do you know better than Apple what the best fan speed is for your iMac?

And search.

3. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I thought it was just the temperature reading that was incorrect and you could still change the fanspeed. I know you can on the new 21.5 iMac. You could try iStat Menus though...

4. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I have SMC fan control working fine on an identical machine, are you sure you downloaded directly from the developer's site?
    I also like to ramp up the fans a bit from the stock speed to keep things cooler so I feel your pain :cool:

5. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm running 2.2.2. When I open it, it shows up in the menu bar for 4 seconds then disappears. Would love to get it to work without buying iStat Menu for just fan control. Help?

6. ZeD X macrumors regular

7. Exirion, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

Exirion macrumors newbie

8. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

→ "pennywise pound foolish" ←

My saying is : "do not be stupid cheap"

I say this not to insult you or anyone else just buy iStatMenus it is worth the money. Why? Your machine is worth thousands of dollars.

Realize something if you buy it with your credit card you have customer rights against the program not working. With free programs the risk is on you to a far greater idea. Look at the screen shot I have 6 speed choices from really slow to really fast.. I Purchased the family pack due to 4 computers. cost was 26 bucks.. I think it is 16 or 17 for a single license. If yo game and run a hot machine just go out and buy it.

Attached Files:

10. Exirion macrumors newbie

It's installed as a system daemon. It starts right away, and of course it also starts again after a reboot or power cycle. You can see the process 'ssdfanctrl' in your active processes overview in Activity Monitor :) Feel free to send me a PM if you like.

11. davidhaynes macrumors newbie

Where did it go?

I have rebooted, and can not find it in Activity Monitor.
    How can I uninstall it?

12. Exirion macrumors newbie

The default view in Activity Monitor is "My Processes" and indeed you won't see it in that mode. You can see it in "System Processes" view.

Anyway, to remove it open a Terminal window and type:

sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/net.exirion.ssdfanctrl.plist
    sudo rm -Rf /Library/StartupItems/SSDFanControl

That's it :)

13. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

I use SMC fan control it does still work fine, apart from the temps always read 0

14. aki macrumors 6502a

Related question. Say I install smcfancontrol on my new 2011 i7 iMac and I'm unlucky and it doesn't work. Do I have to do any special smc-resetting magic before I try another solution eg. iMac Fan Control? If so, how does one do this?

I wonder solution I should try first, iMac Fan Control with the update patch in the other thread, or smcfc...

15. portishead macrumors 65816

For what it's worth, after trying ever fan control application-

I somehow got smcfancontrol to work on my 2011 Core i7 iMac. It is now silent with fans going at around 1200rpm.

This was after replacing the stock 1TB drive with a WD Green 2TB drive.

16. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Running which OS?

17. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Hii .. OP sorry for hijacking your thread, but I just have a few question regarding "fan control in iMac"

I have installed smcfancontrol and use it for some time now, not bad for cooling when my system getting hot after hours of gaming.

Now as we know smcfancontrol only consist of 3 fans, right? It's CPU, HDD and ODD. But where is GPU fan?

I hope I don't act fool, but does iMac GPU (I have 6970M) has a fan? Or that big badass heatsink on upper right corner act as the only cooling system GPU aka passive cooling?

Or smcfancontrol just can't detect GPU fan? Considering GPU diode and heatsink always shows the highest temperature on iStat, it's kinda worrying I can't regulate GPU fan on smcfancontrol

18. portishead macrumors 65816

Sorry I should have said: Lion GM