Fanboyism Is Ruining Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shambo, Jun 26, 2010.

1. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Is it just me or is anyone else sick to the back teeth of the blatant fanboyism towards anything Apple? These idiots are helping to prevent what are essentially good satisfactory products becoming great ones by accepting anything faulty Apple releases as acceptable and useable, and whatever Mr Jobs says as gospel.

This has been perfectly illustrated this week with the release of the iPhone 4. Where, believe it or not, Apple have actually designed, developed, mass produced, and released to the general public a telecommunication device that cannot telecommunicate, especially when held in a certain manner. However instead of, as any genuinely concerned company would do, initiating an immediate mass recall and refund, Apple and their fanboys are telling us that, yet again, the problem lies with the user, not the device. So it has now been left to the consumer to adapt and change their most natural telephone posture.

Again maybe it is just me but whenever I spend over £600 on a new shiny electrical device I expect it to 'just work'.

Thumbs down to fanboyism.

2. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

You should have changed your signature first.

3. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I do not disagree. But I also believe Apple is held to a higher standard whereby anything critical is blown out of proportion. There was not nearly this much coverage of the Nexus One having similar issues. In fact, I can replicate this antenna issue on an N1 and on a Blackberry - if I try hard enough.

So fanboyism and trollism cuts both ways.

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

Whether you believe it or not, for some people it does just work.

My wife and I aren't experiencing any problems with our phones.

I'm probably more tired of the irrational over-the-top complainers.

5. wentwj macrumors regular

I am a fanboy, I'll admit it. But I do think there's an issue here, and I do think Apple should fix it. However, I also think it's being blown out of proportion. For example, just here "A telecommunication device that can't telecommute". I can only assume you don't have an iPhone, and have believed the hype that touching the device anywhere causes it to spiral out of control and lose signal.

That's not the case. For several hours I was entirely unable to reproduce this issue at all on my iPhone, and have since gotten it to happen, but not entirely consistently, and it certainly doesn't effect my actual use of the phone (no way I normally holds it causes the issue, I'm close when I hold it in my left hand, but even that seems to be fine as far as I can tell).

So while yes, some fanboys won't admit there's a real issue, there's also the inverse of people making statements about the issue that simply don't reconcile with reality.

Regardless, there is an issue, and I sincerely hope apple develops a way to fix it quickly.

6. thrust macrumors member

hahaha you keep saying that mate, there is nothin wrong with my iphone am loving every min of it thats the truth!

and people like you going on about a problem that will be fixed by apple and only like 10% of phone have the problem are doing more damage than what your going on about.

and yet you can not see that going on and on about this small problem (that will be fixed) is doing a truck load more damage.

Irony :/

7. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Lets not forget that Apple has a great OS and the biggest app store ecosystem out there, and that they've never had a problem quite as severe as this antenna thing. Maybe the fanboys will finally be drawn away by this.

8. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

9. soupcxan macrumors member

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

You sirs, are correct! :D

11. pmz macrumors 68000

And this weekend has been summarized in one post!

12. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Loyal customers like myself, are good for a business. In fact we are one of their best assets because we spread word of mouth endorsements.

Fanboys do harm. Since they believe anything they are told by the person in the company they worship, they cast a juvenile negative light on the product.

This is the primary reason why windows computers dominate mainstream America. Between the arrogant elitist attitude of Steve Jobs and his band of followers (fanboys) and the way he treats issues like the iPhone problem, no one wins.

13. MacMuppet macrumors member

As I type this, I am effectively looking at a £500 iPod
    which goes under the name of "iPhone 4".

Signal reception is far worse than my old Nokia N95 and
    even older Nokia 3510i; to make a call without losing signal
    on my new iPhone I have to go outside. All of that is with a
    bumper so you could say that £525-worth of phone performs
    less well at making calls than the £50 3510i from over half
    a decade ago.

I have considered changing networks (currently on 3)
    and even went back to the Brent Cross Apple Store to check
    the signal strength of the variously networked iPhone 4s
    that they had and they were all quite good so that doesn't
    seem to be a solution (my one performed quite well as well,
    by the way).

Ultimately the point that I'm trying to make is that my 3 N95
    was perfectly usable in my home whereas my 3-simmed
    iPhone 4 isn't. That's not progress.

P.S. Maybe the problems Steve Jobs had at the iPhone unveiling
    regarding wi-fi was a sign of things to come. Hindsight makes us all
    geniuses :(

14. shambo thread starter macrumors 6502a

shambo

I like Apple products however I will NEVER accept anything fault like a phone that doesn't phone. :rolleyes:

15. oneteam macrumors regular

I’m sure that whenever another company sells 1.5 million of any product on launch day, it will be held to the same standard as Apple….

16. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Is this your first iPhone? iPhone is notorious for being a lousy phone. For me, 100% phone call reliability is not a requirement relative to getting email, conducting some productivity, games, etc. I can live with 75% call reliability and in fact I get more.

If you had to have 100% call reliability then maybe a Samsung or Nokia might be better?

Don't buy an iPhone just to be cool and then complain about phone call reliability when that is not a surprise. That puts you several notches below a fanboy.

17. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Respectfully, I disagree.

The reason it may seem that way, is a direct result of the fact that Steve Jobs goes to great lengths to exaggerate the capabilities of Apples products. He's like an adult age man that hasn't grown up. By bragging about the superiority of the product, he sets unrealistic customer expectations. Then when the product fails to live up to the hype, people (fanboys) come to his defense. It's a self defeating problem.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Dude with the "Badboy Pro™":rolleyes:, what you call "fanboyism" is what kept Apple in business during its darker days. W/o them there would be no Apple today. Honestly, it's really hard to take anyone's post seriously who has a sig not only calling their computer "badboy pro" but also putting a trademark symbol by it. It's guys like you that make me cringe the most.

19. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Technically you're right, if users were more critical of Apple then yes of course they'd be less arrogant at the top and we'd see less carrot-dangling.

But the most important issue of all is, how does one futureproof their iPhone 4? :D

20. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

Then return it and move on with your life.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Easy. It's called Space-Time Manipulation. Only problem is time always stands still. But you will have the most current products for eternity w/o spending another dime, and isn't that the goal of "futureproofers", life be damned. :D

22. KalashniKEV macrumors member

I'm on my second 4G and that's what I'm doing... and since I am a fan, I will probably get an iPad.

So, in the end, Apple will have an extra $100 of my money, but at least it won't be for faulty products...

23. OasisNYK macrumors 6502

Fanboyism is ruining the internet, not just Apple - and it is spread across many products and brands.

Also the term "snappy" should be banned.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I know. It really pisses me off when I go to the Braves message board and everyone is rooting for the Braves and kicking the Phillies and Mets. Damn fans! Can't we all just root for all teams together and hope for a tie? These fans are just ruining sports. :rolleyes:

25. Ipadq macrumors member

Fanboyism is nothing new. One of the oldest ones is still being played out in the middle east, albeit much more violently.

But it's interesting to see that when it happens in consumer products, it happens only when there is a sizable emotional content in the purchasing decision making and only if there is an emotional payback in being associated with it in social groups. You rarely see this kind of fanboyism over something like toilet paper. But I could be wrong and will soon find people arguing over that too.