Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentrider

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Well it's the haterism that is ruining THIS board. Those of us that don't have the problem are called liars. If we dare say we enjoy out phones we're fanboy morons. It's been two or three days!!!! Give them a chance to fix it!!!! For christ's sake people!!!! It's a first run apple product. They always have issues. And apple ALWAYS fixes them. Chill out!!!

TaylorBoi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
My iPhone is working fine so I have no reason to complain but im pretty sure its people out there that think its fine to have a faulty iPhone. Some prolly just look right past the issues smh. Best believe if I had any problems i'd be at the Apple store bright and only.

thinkdesign2

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

A year or 2 ago one of the NY Times ? writers wrote an article lamenting the iPhone's too-short battery life. Then in the last sentance, he admitted (it seemed, sheepishly... perhaps his editor insisted?) that tests had shown that all the competitors' batteries lasted LESS time.

(Of course when your battery is also the only non-removable one... that does change what a logical comparison consists of.)

OTOH, the expectation that a leader should lead... is not entirely unreasonable. Seen in a different light, it's flattery too.

(Sorry to complicate things... for those who like to keep their thinking ultra-"simple"!)

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Nothing's "ruining" Apple - what's happening is that Apple (apparently) has no "meh, oh well" factor.

What I mean is that, for many other products, people discover something they don't like/lets them down and they think to themselves "Well, that kind of sucks" and then move on with their lives. They either adjust their use, return the product, or learn to live with it.

But Apple doesn't seem to have that. Once something is "discovered" everyone and their mother starts planning a class action lawsuit. Instead of just moving on, adjusting or returning the product.

Is that bad for Apple? Nah, not really. Most companies would kill for just an active user base. If anything, it's probably just a bit annoying for Apple when some bad press starts making the rounds. But with the good (an obsessed customer group) comes the bad (an obsessed customer group).

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Apple can get away with screwing over people on some of their other products because in the grand scheme of things they're a smaller player that sells to dedicated fans. The iPhone is one of those cross-over products like the iPod that has penetrated a much larger chunk of the consumer market. Good news for sales, but expectations are high. Unlike products that are mostly sold to his loyal fan base, a simple wave of Steve's hand isn't treated like a new Commandment.

The reactions by the loyal fan base around here is priceless. They're used to simply stomping the few who dare to call out Apple on something and the rest just ganging up the infidel. This time a combination of those who are simply consumers who expect products to work, and those who aren't quite lodged as far up Steve's a$$ as the others are calling this out as it should be.

I love my iPhone but I'm damned glad that this is getting the publicity in the media and around here. It must be addressed and the only reason it will is because of the sheer volume of bad press.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I hate everything to do with fanboys of any large company mainly because they actually think apple , windows etc give a **** about them. When in fact they only care about one thing, $$$$. I realy cant understand how they can defend Apple in this case, Some are actually blaming us consumers for th problem ffs.

Ipadq

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
Nothing's "ruining" Apple - what's happening is that Apple (apparently) has no "meh, oh well" factor.

What I mean is that, for many other products, people discover something they don't like/lets them down and they think to themselves "Well, that kind of sucks" and then move on with their lives. They either adjust their use, return the product, or learn to live with it.

But Apple doesn't seem to have that. Once something is "discovered" everyone and their mother starts planning a class action lawsuit. Instead of just moving on, adjusting or returning the product.

Well, normally that's the case. But in this particular instance, it's a bit different.

Apple has differentiated itself from its competitors by providing the 'best user experience'. And one can argue that they take considerable pride in their ability to do that through innovation. In this case, an innovation seems to be affecting the user experience significantly, especially around making calls.

For some people, even a small probability of a call not going through ( especially during a crucial time) scares the hell out of them. To them, it feels like playing Russian Roulette with a gun with a million chambers and one bullet -- even if the odds of dying are one in a million, they wont accept that. Different people have different levels of risk tolerance.

I suspect it's a combination of these different factors that are making this a bit louder and more vivid than usual at the moment. Only time will tell if there will be any real impact on Apple's market position or competitive advantage.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Totally agree!

You all need to STOP!
your fanboyism is too strong....

Every computer I have is a mac, iphone to ipad to mac pro to apple TV
And also I've been a stock holder for quite some time now....

But when I see a *** up, I say as it is. Iphone 4 design is crap. Also I don't like the new OS4 as at all... I didn't wait 3 years for half assed multitasking..
And that's my problem and we come here to whine and dine... you don't have to agree or join...

but...

I don't like stupid fanboys because they create such a huge hype that I am afraid Apple will one day won't be able to sustain all the hype and crash...
I don't want that....

Apple needs to fix problems right away, pay more attention to testing it rather than trying to HIDE it...

I feel insulted when he says "you're holding it wrong"....
I feel insulted when he says "if you're not multitasking this way, you're doing it wrong"

Like if one day, he decides to sell a steaming pile of sht with an apple logo on it... he knows people will line up to buy it....

What goes up, comes down... I don't like it. We made him act this arrogant with our launch day fanboyism....

This has to stop....
My opinion as always...

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Without going into details about this or that, people are emotional about Apple products in a way that makes most other consumer-faced businesses on the planet envious. With that brings alot of nitpicking... mostly because there's that emotional investment. People care enough to stress over the minutiae. As is commonly said, the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference.

It may be annoying for people who simply enjoy their products and care to deal with little fuss or muss from the diehards or detractors, but for Apple's bottom line, they can't get enough... for every diehard-techy soured by the virtually religious devotion to the brand, there are 5 consumers willing to take their place with little care or acknowledgement of the issue.

I write software for inventory tracking systems running on windows consoles (.NET/MFC), for nearly 15 years now... and I have to tell you, one of my pleasures away from the corporate world is working on an iPad app in my spare time. I love the vision Apple provides... from the industrial design, to the platform, to the marketing, to the philosophy of not giving in to the beancounters. It's a very cohesive vision and it seems to have a lot more care and thought put into it than the competition. Just my 2c

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Thumbs down to fanboyism.
Twice now I've read posts from you complaining about fanboys, yet here you are with this fanbotic statement in your signature.

2 inches of :apple: make the world of difference that is why I future-proofed my investment in a 15" Badboy Pro™
Pathetic, truly pathetic.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Some are actually blaming us consumers for th problem ffs.

Well, it IS consumers who, despite hearing all these reports about a supposedly defective iPhone, are still willing to wait hours in line to get one.

If every iPhone 4 is truly defective, and everyone continues to buy one, then as far as the manufacturer is concerned, no "defect" exists. It's exactly like you said: Apple, like any other company, cares about $$$$. And right now there are people lining up outside their stores absolutely desperate to shove as much $$$$ at Apple as they can.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, even though I'll get beat up over it: If you think your iPhone is truly crippled and defective, then the best way to make Apple listen is to do the rational thing and not accept a defective product. Demand a working exchange or get a refund.

You'd think that's common sense, but the "aggrieved" will instead brand people who suggest this as fanboys. Really? What fanboy would insist that anyone needs to NOT have the product that's the object of the fanboyism?

I'll tell you what's worse than fanboyism, and it's prevalent here: battered wife syndrome. For all the mistreatment Apple supposedly gives people, it's astounding how those same people keep coming back and steadfastly hanging on to their iPhones. Eventually the credibility of the "battered wives" start to falter the more times they insist on coming back.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Wait, wait, wait.

The more of these things Apple sells and the issue persists, the worse off Apple will be. You think by having most people abandon the buying of an iPhone will help?? How so?? I can't go to one news site today without some article about the iPhone 4 and it's signal problems. The issue and message is out there.

What I don't get is the people who complain about other people for what they like. You have that much time in your life to worry about what other people do? Share some, please. If the problems are keeping you from buying the phone, GREAT!! Here's a trophy. But who are you, and what purpose does it serve, labeling and calling out others?

My 3GS is perfect, I can make calls when I want, signal problems aren't an issue. My original iPhone was great as well. So I will be buying an iPhone 4 once the white is available. I guess I'll be assisting in the ruining of Apple.

woosah

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
FL
Is it just me or is anyone else sick to the back teeth of the blatant fanboyism towards anything Apple? These idiots are helping to prevent what are essentially good satisfactory products becoming great ones by accepting anything faulty Apple releases as acceptable and useable, and whatever Mr Jobs says as gospel.

This has been perfectly illustrated this week with the release of the iPhone 4. Where, believe it or not, Apple have actually designed, developed, mass produced, and released to the general public a telecommunication device that cannot telecommunicate, especially when held in a certain manner. However instead of, as any genuinely concerned company would do, initiating an immediate mass recall and refund, Apple and their fanboys are telling us that, yet again, the problem lies with the user, not the device. So it has now been left to the consumer to adapt and change their most natural telephone posture.

Again maybe it is just me but whenever I spend over £600 on a new shiny electrical device I expect it to 'just work'.

Did you return your telecommunication device?

qlmpnr

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
NY tri-state
I love my iPhone but I'm damned glad that this is getting the publicity in the media and around here. It must be addressed and the only reason it will is because of the sheer volume of bad press.

Think I'll have to agree with you on this point. When I first saw the Bumper, I thought to myself - who would expect someone to pay $30 for a 5¢ piece of plastic?
SJ, of course! They knew about this problem and had a $29.95 extra profit solution all ready.. Forget the class-action, just include a bumper with the phone, Steve, I think you can afford it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Wait, wait, wait.

The more of these things Apple sells and the issue persists, the worse off Apple will be. You think by having most people abandon the buying of an iPhone will help?? How so??

People keep returning the iPhone and fewer new people buy it. Apple wonders why. Defect maybe? The motivation then becomes clear to investigate and fix it. that IS what people want, right?

I can't go to one news site today without some article about the iPhone 4 and it's signal problems. The issue and message is out there.

And yet people are STILL buying the thing...

What I don't get is the people who complain about other people for what they like.

Evidently, people like defective products.

You have that much time in your life to worry about what other people do?

As much time as you do, apparently.

But thank you for proving my point. A way out is given, and the endemic learned helplessness causes some to "don't get" it.

But who are you, and what purpose does it serve, labeling and calling out others?

I'm someone who's come to the conclusion that certain individuals are maybe obsessing a little too much, and are letting a simple piece of metal and glass rule their lives.

The only purpose is to point out the flaw in the logic: in one turn, people insist that Apple doesn't care about its customers, and is a company guided entirely by economics. Yet, when someone suggests a solution with a real economic impact for Apple - you know, the only langauge Apple supposedly understands - it's branded as crazy-talk.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
hahaha you keep saying that mate, there is nothin wrong with my iphone am loving every min of it thats the truth!

and people like you going on about a problem that will be fixed by apple and only like 10% of phone have the problem are doing more damage than what your going on about.

and yet you can not see that going on and on about this small problem (that will be fixed) is doing a truck load more damage.

Irony :/
Whatever the number is it is pretty big. 10% or higher is a significant number. I love the new iPhone but I can easily reproduce this issue. I don't see it as a small issue. Holding your phone should not have this dramatic effect on the signal. With that being said it sounds like it might just be a software glitch. I'm just not a fan of Steve Jobs dismissive attitude toward customers.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Chupa Chupa said:
Fanboyism is ruining the internet, not just Apple - and it is spread across many products and brands.

I know. It really pisses me off when I go to the Braves message board and everyone is rooting for the Braves and kicking the Phillies and Mets. Damn fans! Can't we all just root for all teams together and hope for a tie? These fans are just ruining sports. :rolleyes:

Does it always have to be one way or the other? To me, rooting for my favorite team doesn't mean kicking their competitors. :)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I agree with your post completely. But those folks that admit there is a problem, but saying it's blown out of proportion, or the issue sounds bigger than it is, Know this.
The iPhone is the most hyped phone. Apple hypes it so well, they call it magical and revolutionary and sadly, it seems that people fall for that. Then when their is a problem, it's goof to be hyped up too. If tr iPhone is the most hyped phone, and Apple an their fanboys say how great it is, an how Android and Web OS is ****, and iPhone is the best phoe in the world, once tree is a problem, it will be noticed. Wearer the problem is big or small, a phone nor able to make calls because you hold it naturally and Steve and fanboys blaming the user, it will be in the media. It sounds like a design flaw. And considering Steve said how beautiful the phone is, and then tells you to cover it up with a fugly case or a $30 piece of Apple Silicon is pretty stupid.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I think the basis for why people are sticking it out is that they truly like the device and knowing Apple they always work their crap and bugs out. Think about Microsoft, did they not do the same thing with their OS, they knew it was not working right, but just didn't care because they sold their OS and just let people deal with the issues.

Apple is not going to come out of this very well because people always expected more of them and until recently with Android based phones, they have always delivered with no competition, however that ball park has changed.

Android phones are trying to be like the iPhone but Apple develops their own hardware and software so they have more control thus able to fix this in a better time frame. Now look at Motorola they make the phones and test the OS, but Google controls the OS, just like PC's someone makes the HW and dumps MS software on it and they when you try to get a problem resolved eh? nothing gets resolved.

Apple knew what they were doing but then look at what would have happened if they had spend more months developing this thing everyone would be screaming and people who were on the fence would slide away from Apple and go with another device, then maybe not, who knows.

I am in the IT field and switched from Macs to PC's and back and I will never go back to a PC, ever. My Mac is 1.5 years old, and everytime I open it to use it, the MacBook just works, the software and hardware work well together unlike Windows which has too many variables.

Personally people will choose what they want, you may like a particular car or truck that I find non appealing, and vice versa, there is something for everyone out there, people just do what they want to regardless of what you or I think.

supremeMilo

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010

This has been perfectly illustrated this week with the release of the iPhone 4. Where, believe it or not, Apple have actually designed, developed, mass produced, and released to the general public a telecommunication device that cannot telecommunicate, especially when held in a certain manner. However instead of, as any genuinely concerned company would do, initiating an immediate mass recall and refund, Apple and their fanboys are telling us that, yet again, the problem lies with the user, not the device. So it has now been left to the consumer to adapt and change their most natural telephone posture.

Again maybe it is just me but whenever I spend over £600 on a new shiny electrical device I expect it to 'just work'.

I ONLY doesn't phone if you hold it a certain way, otherwise it gets great reception. Why does apple need to have a mass recall? their phone works and you can still return it, it has only been out a few days.

dischNoutTAspd

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
having a phone that doesnt works is a problem. its simple. fix the problem via software update (if possible ) or recall all the phones and give refunds until a definitive solution is released. its really not difficult to comprehend.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
It works for some people (from what I've read, I'm waiting for white :D).

It doesn't work for others.

If I had one, and it didn't meet my communication needs, I'd return it.

I'm pretty sure I could avoid a restock fee, if I worked up a proper dander over it.

I think the real issue here is this: If it sucks so badly, why not just take it back and buy some other phone?

Ahh... yep. That's the issue.

Because you know if this was a refrigerator, it'd already be back at Home Depot.

StrykerGT

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
My 2 cents...

The truth is that there is a problem with the antenna (if you use the iPhone 4 without any case). I didn't noticed about this because I put a cover right away and worked fine. After I read the forums I took the phone out of the case (now a bumper) and I replicated the problem. I tried my wife phone, same thing. I thought "How something like this escape from the Apple QC department? But no problem because the case eliminate this issue." Sadly the biggest disappointment of the telephone was not the iPhone but Steve Jobs attitude replying "You're holding it wrong" or buy a case. This is unacceptable Apple. Before having a "patch" that maybe or maybe not fix this issue, what you really need is COMMUNICATION with your loyal customers about this issue and instead of ignoring us at least saying "we are working on it" or "we are looking into this" but please stop ignoring your customers Apple! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.