FAQ: What to Know About Apple Slowing Down iPhones to Prevent Unexpected Shutdowns

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

Ah, yes, the old “if you can’t prove it, it’s not possible” retort.

2. MH01 Suspended

MH01

And cook charges you $29. Jobs apple also would have rolled back the changes.

Does not matter, as this was all done to avoid a battery replacement under warranty. Cook has turned apple into such a penny pinching compnay that this was allowed to happen . You will also find that jobs had big disagreements about pricing , he wanted his products for Everyone, while Cook is targeting the rich.....was a great company that got super greedy

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No one said it isn’t possible, but there have been several actual analysis of those claims and they have been proven to be false, so I ask where your data is?

4. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Provide the technical data proving your claims the slow downs don’t happen.

These retorts are getting silly.....only ask if you have data to support your claim, which you don’t....

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh.... unless you’re in the EU the warranty on the battery is one year. Not sure where your claim that a technical fix to stop shutdowns is somehow really to prevent warranty battery replacements, but go ahead and conflate away...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    You didn’t ask me for data, so hold your damn horses if you’re actually interested in the topic while I get you a link.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/06/apple-doesnt-deliberately-slow-older-iphones/

Now obviously it’s linked to by MR, but MR is NOT the source.

6. hwhitney macrumors newbie

hwhitney

Indeed, just thought that it was worth pointing out that both shutdowns and poor performance were already issues with older batteries/phones before the fix/feature/whatever you want to label it came into affect. We probably should have replaced the batteries years ago, but hey, we're cheap enough to not upgrade for six years so....;)

7. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

Oh, okay. So you have no proof. Next time, say so instead of playing these little games.

8. SeniorGato1 macrumors regular

"This Ad was sponsored and paid for by Apple.com. Please accept our dictatorship and move along"

Other FAQs to add:
    1) Why not cover all ios devices running ios 10 which were crippled by the update? (5, 5C, 5S)
    2) My iPhone 6s was recalled due to a defective battery causing premature shutdowns. Apple replaced it with a new battery and I recall an upcoming software update to resolve this in the future. hmmmmmm
    3) Why does this not affect other manufactures, only Apple?

I think this class action lawsuit will sting and hopefully teaches apple to not be selective when providing release notes.

9. nofunsir macrumors member

nofunsir

Meanwhile Jony is sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth, repeating to himself, "thin, thinner, thinnest..."
    Come to think of it... Ive himself seems to be breaking his thinner is better rule.

[​IMG]

10. apolloa macrumors G4

How interesting Mac Rumors posted that story last October right before the poop hit the fan, geekbench and ifixit provided masses of data to prove they were slowing iPhone downs, and right before APPLE THEMSELVES ADMITTED IT!!

To claim Apple doesn’t throttle devices is to literally deny Apple has just admitted to doing exactly that.... have you literally spent the last two weeks with your fingers in your ears shouting lalalalalala with your eyes closed? I mean the title of the story you linked to is:

Apple Doesn't Deliberately Slow Down Older Devices According to Benchmark Analysis

11. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

The article literally says “these type of test are not indiciative of real world performance.” It also says that new features can eat up more resources, causing slow downs in older devices. That is exactly what I put forward as a possibility of “we’re doing it, but in a very sneaky way.”

If it is indeed a case of much higher resource usage, they need to let us downgrade. I’d go back to ios9 in a heartbeat if it meant I could actually use my iPhone 6 again.

12. budafied macrumors regular

Amen.

13. randyhudson, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

randyhudson macrumors regular

That's not what I said. I said millions of iPhone 6 phones were working perfectly fine before the update. My family owns 4. AFAIK, the issue was with 6S. Also, there's no evidence that the iPhones were crashing because of low voltage to the CPU. The CPU needs about 1/3 the voltage of a completely discharged lithium battery.

What was actually happening was poorly-written software in iOS would misjudge the remaining charge capacity in the battery, and prematurely tell the system to shutdown (or halt). Slowing the CPU was a hack to prevent perfectly harmless voltage dips, rather than fixing the real problem: the algorithm that tracks how much charge remains.

14. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502a

ThunderMasterMind

I'm with you on that. I knew from the start that Apple would regret putting tiny batteries in these newer iPhones and it looks like I was right. My 6S is suffering from slow performance when my unit never did this silly non-sense. In fact I don't ever recall a time when my 6S randomly turned off at an inconvenient time, not even when my battery was at 80% on 10.2 with a jailbreak enabled.

15. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

This is only my opinion, but all the story is a mess like this article. By chance all these things happened (not in a logical order, if any is present):
    1 By chance, the slowdown code was introduced for phones of the previous generation;
    2 By chance the slowdown made the phones to look outdated
    3 By chance the slowdown happened before a major release
    4 By chance the slowdown happened before xmas season
    5 By chance Apple gave a statement after a large amount of data had been disclosed on the net
    6 By chance Apple offered reduced battery prices while the conspiracy theories were growing up

I don't know why, but I will not update my iPhone 8 next year.

16. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502a

ThunderMasterMind

Yeah it's at the point where it isn't even safe to go to the second iOS version supported on your device.

17. budafied macrumors regular

Can't wait to see Apple's pie chart about installed iOS versions at WWDC in 2 years. I bet it will hit a point where the numbers are decreasing.

EDIT: instead of 83% of phones running latest iOS it'll be 74% or something.

18. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

Um...ok....really, it's not that deep. Apple screwed up, they are taking measures to fix it.

19. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502a

ThunderMasterMind

I doubt that, because the normies won't know the difference and update their phones just because it said to.

20. robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

So true. Plus people have proven it, they should read earlier posts. A big reason is lower-quality batteries.

21. mikekirk macrumors member

Apple secretly slipped the throttling into an iOS update without telling anyone and only fessed up when they were caught red-handed. I am afraid by any definition that is dishonest, sound technical reasons or not.

22. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502a

ThunderMasterMind

I think it's a load of crap too, because I had a laptop with a battery that was at 50% and wouldn't ever randomly shutoff, crash, or warn me if something was wrong, because there never was anything wrong. It would drain and the battery percentage shown in Windows was always spot on with the battery.

23. Kmart9419 macrumors regular

Used to get excited about a new ios update every year. Now I fear it and pray it won't ruin my device.

24. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

I've read that Apple will ONLY fix your battery if the wear is more than 20% and the battery cycle is no more than 500.

But how the f... do we check the cycle? I mean, for me personally, I think I don't have to worry because my phone was replaced with a refurbished one a year ago and I don't believe I had made over 500 cycles but still... iFixit is the other option for me which I find more convenient but not sure about the battery quality.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

If the batteries are originals then they're waaaaay past their expected life (2 years). I replaced my 4S batteries last fall with an iFixit kit and everything was fine.
    As noted above, I replaced my iPhone 4S's battery with an iFixit kit and it wasn't too hard to do and the battery seems fine. I am hoping to keep the 4S as a GPS/Hiking device when I upgrade to the iPhone X. Waste not, want not.