FAQ: What to Know About Apple Slowing Down iPhones to Prevent Unexpected Shutdowns

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Wrong. It's not just EU, and wrong that everyone else just gets one year. If you are going to hit others up for data, please don't be so wrong about the facts.

I suggest you have a look at consumer laws globally, your assumption is wrong.

And even if it was just the EU...... kind of a large markert to avoid warranty replacements? conflate away , as you say

2. PizzaBoxStyle macrumors 6502

Have a 6S. Agreed. I should have stayed on iOS 9. I'm on iOS 10. So far, I have been able to defeat the upgrade prompts, but its not easy.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    Don't do it. Don't update it. Keep the OS stock.

3. rjp1 macrumors regular

You're wrong there. I took my phone to the Genius Bar for it running slow. They recommended upgrading the phone. That is their notes in their system. During discovery, they will find many more examples of exactly that.

4. idunn macrumors 6502

I can believe that.

That said article best reflected the truth of the matter, not so much.

5. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

What you've described still doesn't prove that Apple slowed down iPhones to get people to upgrade. There may still be damages awarded, but the conspiracy that Apple did this to increase sales is much harder to prove.

6. Act3 macrumors 68000

those notes will get deleted, just like emails can be deleted.

7. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Thank you for the excellent article MacRumors staff.

8. PeaceMonger Suspended

PeaceMonger

Do you see your article as neutral, pro Apple or ani Apple?

9. iceperson macrumors 6502

So you skipped all the hard frequently asked questions on purpose?

1) Why was this not needed before the 6?

2) Why is my phone throttled when it is plugged in?

3) Why does a phone with a battery that passes Apple store tests still get throttled?

4) Since even new batteries can get cold and see degraded performance why not flip the switch for all phones as they are released instead of waiting until an arbitrary date (which conveniently seems to coincide with the release of a new phone) to enable this awesome new "feature"?

5) Considering that 10 years of iPhones seemed to not have this issue and we're being told this isn't compensation for a design flaw in the 6 and up iPhones why is the throttling so aggressive? The throttling doesn't seem to have any real relationship with the % of remaining battery life.

Bonus question for the defenders:
    If Apple came out tomorrow and changed the throttling so that only phone call functionality remained would you be cool with that because "batteries" degrade, or is there at least some limit to the amount of bull you're willing to swallow?

10. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Cook lowered the price by $50. A $20 value over Jobs' $29 bumper case. But I understand math is hard.

11. filterdecay macrumors member

filterdecay

well i am personally done with apple. We have been paying a stupid tax on these products. After 10 years my next phone will be something else.

12. firewood, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

firewood macrumors 604

Simple stuff:

1) The 5s and older had much slower processors that had much lower peak power draws.
    2) For safety from crashes during a quick unplug, an iPhone runs off of the battery even when plugged-in.
    3) Your iPhone may be slow because it is misconfigured. Try a factory reset, and then Set Up as New.
    4) Apple doesn't have a years worth of the latest battery data and customer usage data until a year later. It's hard to fix problems without data. And early engineering samples don't produce enough data on customer usage patterns and how they affect battery wear. Cold batteries behave differently under load (sometime worse, which is why an ice cold iPhone sometimes doesn't even boot up) than old batteries. It's not a simple switch, might be dozens to hundreds of complicated interacting knobs within the power management. Plus, Apple could have already put some portions of this battery management code in the latest devices. They don't tell you every feature hidden in iOS. Lots of it are trade-secret special sauce.

13. Ladybug macrumors 65832

Ladybug

I installed the tvOS profile on my 8 to stop all updates until Apple sorts out this mess. Too late for my 6s other than battery replacement but I am not letting Apple update my new phone with this new feature (cough).

14. filterdecay macrumors member

filterdecay

Apple has 12 years of iphone data.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow, you're ability to conflate two entirely different subjects is astounding.

16. rjp1 macrumors regular

No, they won't.

If they are that foolish, then they will be dealing with an ever bigger problem. You can get a printout from the Genius with the recommendations. They have no idea how many and who kept a copy. They are not going to risk getting caught destroying evidence.

17. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Point number 3 is the question that the courts may use to rebuttal reasons for technological degration, but Batteries are not degrading after two years, but less than 1 year and are slowing down just before the next model comes out.

The question should be:

4. What is considered an “old” iphone in Apple’s mind?

The batteries are getting “old” in less than a year while the product continues to maintaining (and is increasing) premium price tag...

What Apple may be doing is using cheaper batteries to reduce production costs to maintain profit margins per unit and write code to compensate for the cheaper battery instead of increasing costs by putting a premium battery in the iphone.

18. GoldenJoe macrumors 6502

I’ve been an iPhone customer since the 4. I really hate Android for different reasons, so I don’t think I’m going to pick up a Samsung, but I am going to switch to either an old windows phone, or possibly a feature phone. Apple can have me back when they earn it with a competitively priced and features device that doesn’t act like a time bomb.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ok I’m getting really tired of this crap. You have nothing but speculation on your last paragraph and bet in three pages time people will be asserting that’s what actually is happening.

It’s been amazing watching people cherry pick from stories that have nothing to do with this issue, then use that cherry picked information as “evidence”.

20. filterdecay macrumors member

filterdecay

sounds like the batteries are designed to get old at a certain time.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Based on...what exactly? You’ve run a chemical analysis?

22. puma1552 macrumors 601

Why wouldn't the 8/X be prone to this throttling?

23. filterdecay macrumors member

filterdecay

based on the fact they go bad in a year.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So in other words, you’re lying.

25. filterdecay macrumors member

filterdecay

I dont think you know what the word lying means.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    me speculating that the phones are designed to have the batteries go bad is based on all of this news plus my personal experience owning iphones for 10 years isnt a lie. Its my speculation based on known facts. You on the other hand seem butt hurt that I choose to speculate about the whys.