Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Sold my Apple TV 4 on eBay. I just didn't get it. And iTunes (the Movie and TV app, I mean) is breathtakingly poor. Really quite astonishingly, comprehensively dismal.

Reactions: openbyhand

seanrt

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2015
USA
Sold my Apple TV 4 on eBay. I just didn't get it. And iTunes (the Movie and TV app, I mean) is breathtakingly poor. Really quite astonishingly, comprehensively dismal.
I am having the same feeling about the Movie and TV app. I feel they don't organize the content very well. I would like to strictly use home sharing but that is sketchy when it comes to waking my iMac. I'm torn. My video library is very important to me.

Reactions: institute

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I don't use mine for much outside of MLB.TV and it is worse now than ever. It crashes halfway through the first inning EVERY game I plan and lacks fast forward and other playback features that the 3rd gen has. Terrible software on the 4th gen.

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
I understand how you feel. It's such a shame some of the major players haven't built apps for it yet. I never really used the Movies and TV Shows apps outside of the odd movie rental. Looking back, an nVidia Shield probably would have suited me better.

Reactions: George Dawes

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
I understand how you feel. It's such a shame some of the major players haven't built apps for it yet. I never really used the Movies and TV Shows apps outside of the odd movie rental. Looking back, an nVidia Shield probably would have suited me better.

You're in for a rude awakening when you find out the nVidia Shield is missing even more apps than the Apple TV.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I have a Chromecast and a Roku, they just sit.
I use my ATV4 for most everything, but I use the 2016 Roku Streaming Stick for Amazon Prime, MHz-Choice, SlingTV and sometimes Plex. I like the new-ish Roku Plex app better, it's snappier to navigate and requires less button presses for a lot of the functionality.

On the ATV4, Sling is awful -- it randomly crashes, or the stream just stops -- or freezes, whereas it works perfectly on the Roku. Once they fix that, and get Prime and MHz-Choice apps -- I won't need the Roku. I have a Chromecast as well, but it resides in the junk drawer cemetery for antiquated tech ;)

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I still have 3rd Apple TV.... Most of the problems i hear are related to 4th version...

Reactions: SD-B

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I like having the 4th gen as an assurance I won't go out of date for a while (I had the 720p gen before), but I get the concern about the beta nature.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I haven't been overly impressed with mine. I use it the same as my AppleTV 3. Only difference is the apps are worse. But everyone HAD to have an App Store, well here we are. I can take virtually any app I have and find 3-4 glaring issues the devs don't care to fix.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I use my ATV4 for most everything, but I use the 2016 Roku Streaming Stick for Amazon Prime, MHz-Choice, SlingTV and sometimes Plex. I like the new-ish Roku Plex app better, it's snappier to navigate and requires less button presses for a lot of the functionality.

On the ATV4, Sling is awful -- it randomly crashes, or the stream just stops -- or freezes, whereas it works perfectly on the Roku. Once they fix that, and get Prime and MHz-Choice apps -- I won't need the Roku. I have a Chromecast as well, but it resides in the junk drawer cemetery for antiquated tech ;)

Sling is garbage compared to Playstation Vue... they also have a place holder on their website for appleTV... hoping to see the app soon. :)

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Sling is garbage compared to Playstation Vue... they also have a place holder on their website for appleTV... hoping to see the app soon. :)
As I mentioned, Sling is also excellent on the comparatively inexpensive 2016 Roku Streaming Stick. They'll get it right on the ATV4 at some point, but currently it's very frustrating.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I haven't been overly impressed with mine. I use it the same as my AppleTV 3. Only difference is the apps are worse. But everyone HAD to have an App Store, well here we are. I can take virtually any app I have and find 3-4 glaring issues the devs don't care to fix.

Wait -- you're blaming those of us who wanted an app store? It would have been very possible to build an ATV3-type device with a modern processor, faster networking, and an app store. For whatever reason, this wasn't the direction Apple went. Now we have some things we very much wanted mixed with some things that we took for granted that no longer work properly. That's on Apple, not those of us who wanted an ATV3 upgrade.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
To be honest I use my Nexus Player more than I use my AppleTV. The YouTube app is better and it actually has Google Play Music so I can listen to music without AirPlay. And since I recently canceled my Netflix subscription, I've been using my PS3 for Amazon prime streaming video.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I use mine a lot.

- Netflix (this is my main content provider when I have time to watch TV)
- I use Apple Music a lot, having various stations/playlists playing when I'm doing stuff in and around the living room. This with the wallpaper makes a nice change from just playing music on my Bose.
- All my photos are available to flick through when visitors come over.
- Family can share photos via AirPlay to the TV very simply.

Reactions: satcomer

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I have both, Roku 4 and Apple TV 4 and both are just dandy.
Sling on TV 4 is great for me.
Only bad thing is lack of apps that don't require cable service, for that stuff Roku is better.
Now why no MSNBC app?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I can't say that I use it any differently to my Apple TV 3 but I use it a lot. I use it for watching Netflix, YouTube and Amazon prime. Most importantly I use it to watch content from iTunes (movies and videos). I have a huge library.

I do play games from time to time too. The interface is much better on the new Apple TV and I prefer the Siri Remote to the older remote. So it was worth the upgrade.

Reactions: JoeMacDe

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
We use our ATV4 a couple of hours each day. Best tech investment we've done in years. Very girlfriend-friendly and suits our needs 100%.

Okay, 98%. I would have loved some AAA games for it.

Reactions: 26139 and CarlJ

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
we love our ATV4s. We initially bought one to check it out... ended up buying 3 more the the rest of the TVs in the house (and then cut the cord from satellite!)

Reactions: 26139

whoiare

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2011
i agree with the sentiment that i use my ATV4 the exact same way i used my ATV2 & 3. So in the same manner my two biggest gripes with the 2 & 3 are the same with the 4. One is being addressed in the universal login. My biggest gripe is in how they deal with the "computer" section...mainly sorting and searching. At least on the 2&3 if i wanted to watch star wars i could press and hold down on the remote and the atv would speed through my 2000+ movies to get to "s." Try doing that with the atv4 remote and pray you dont accidentally hit left or right so that you have to start over is an absolute nightmare.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't get people's Philosophy of "there can be only one" mentality! Having multiple TV boxes is the way to go!
I've been happy with the Roku 4 these past few months as my primary streaming device in the front room. In the bedroom I swap between the ATV 3 and ATV 4, mostly stick with the ATV 3 though because I prefer the UI better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.