Farewell, iPhone 5S

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Got my iPhone 5S mugged last night. Three guys came up to me with a knife, no questions asked: I just gave them the phone... Luckily, my insurance covers the whole situation and I should get a replacement in a week or so.

Still, this situation has gotten me thinking. The guys who stole from me immediately turned the phone off (according to the police, it wasn't their first time). I was therefore totally unable to locate it (I did however put it in lost mode and erased all my personal info). With iOS7 and the iPhone 5S adding a great amount of security, it would be great if we could set up a password to switch the phone off...

Oh well...

:(

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Got my iPhone 5S mugged last night. Three guys came up to me with a knife, no questions asked: I just gave them the phone... Luckily, my insurance covers the whole situation and I should get a replacement in a week or so.

Still, this situation has gotten me thinking. The guys who stole from me immediately turned the phone off (according to the police, it wasn't their first time). I was therefore totally unable to locate it (I did however put it in lost mode and erased all my personal info). With iOS7 and the iPhone 5S adding a great amount of security, it would be great if we could set up a password to switch the phone off...

Oh well...

Glad you're ok, that's a terrible situation. At least it was just a phone.

I agree, I'm very happy with the improved security efforts with the 5s, but must say that I'm 100% behind the idea of needing to enter the passcode to turn off the device. Would make stealing an iPhone even less profitable.

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013

Oh well...

Hmm. Every day I think about not ever selling an Apple product on Craigslist. A knife really? I would run. They are not getting my phone.

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well, although it sounds like a cliche to say it, the best thing that happened to you there is that you walked out ok and only lost a physical belonging (not your life). Knives and robberies have bad habits of not play nice.

Anyways, that aside, with the whole "Find my iPhone" and "Activation Lock" feature, this should cease to happen. Good thing you had that going.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Was just reading an article in Yahoo the other day about how the stolen phones end up with drug cartels in South America.

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Glad to see that crime doesn't exist in places and countries that have taken away citizens right to carry...oh, wait.

GOD BLESS THE USA!! Knife, meet Glock.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Glad to hear you are safe as it seems you handled the situation as it should have been. Insurance will cover your loses and you will live to see another day. Wise decision on your part.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Maybe the police should send out undercover officers with realistic looking fake phones, then when a criminal demands phone, officer gives it to him, then 10 seconds later it bursts like the dye packs they use in banks for stolen cash.

And of course other officers would then swoop in and grab the thieves. Then of course we could publicly hang them and charge admission to watch.

(sarcasm for those who can't recognize the obvious)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
The OP did the right thing. Three of them plus a knife, just give the stupd phone to them.

Run away? Lol really?

Or become a gun-totin' NRA member?? Lol yeah great solution.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Good job OP. It's just a phone, give it away and move on. Getting stabbed by three men hurts a lot more than receiving a brand new device through insurance.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Hmm. Every day I think about not ever selling an Apple product on Craigslist. A knife really? I would run. They are not getting my phone.
Don't say that. You never know what would you do in that situation, and you wouldn't know especially what the mugger would do.

He could just walk up to you and stab you and then take the phone, so don't say you would run. Nothing is certain.

To the OP: Glad you walked away safely, better to be alive and well than to go to the hospital or worse, dead just to try and save a phone.

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Good job OP. It's just a phone, give it away and move on. Getting stabbed by three men hurts a lot more than receiving a brand new device through insurance.
Yes, that's exactly what I thought during the mugging although it went very quick. But darn, it hurts to know such a cool gadget is going to be dismantled and probably sold in bits and pieces on the black market in different parts of Europe (they definitely won't be selling it as a whole as I have completely blocked it–I hope). It's a shame to realize that these really really great devices can get you in very sticky situations, even when being careful (and I can guarantee you I'm vigilant in the métro, on the streets etc).

I can't complain though, avoided the worst and am soon going to get a new one through the insurance (glad I decided to pay the 11euro/per month). The police officers did their best to help and my carrier Orange was very understanding of my situation. Overall, I'm kind of glad it went so smoothly.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Next pull out your machete, and go like Crocodile Dundee, That's Not a Knife, THIS is a Knife! :D

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Glad to see that crime doesn't exist in places and countries that have taken away citizens right to carry...oh, wait.

GOD BLESS THE USA!! Knife, meet Glock.
Then you'll have no problem admitting the US has a much higher crime rate per capita than all nations with strict gun control. Also, if this were the US the guy would have been robbed at gun point, not at knife point. I'd choose the knife. But thanks for making all Americans look stupid.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The guys who stole from me immediately turned the phone off (according to the police, it wasn't their first time). I was therefore totally unable to locate it (I did however put it in lost mode and erased all my personal info). With iOS7 and the iPhone 5S adding a great amount of security, it would be great if we could set up a password to switch the phone off... [/I]
But then you would have had the knife at your throat to tell them the password to unlock.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Glad you weren't hurt. Hopefully your phone is secured, such that the worse that can happen is the phone is used for parts and your digital life stays intact.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.