Farewell, iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g0odfr1end102, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Got my iPhone 5S mugged last night. Three guys came up to me with a knife, no questions asked: I just gave them the phone... Luckily, my insurance covers the whole situation and I should get a replacement in a week or so.

Still, this situation has gotten me thinking. The guys who stole from me immediately turned the phone off (according to the police, it wasn't their first time). I was therefore totally unable to locate it (I did however put it in lost mode and erased all my personal info). With iOS7 and the iPhone 5S adding a great amount of security, it would be great if we could set up a password to switch the phone off...

Oh well...

:(

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Glad you're ok, that's a terrible situation. At least it was just a phone.

I agree, I'm very happy with the improved security efforts with the 5s, but must say that I'm 100% behind the idea of needing to enter the passcode to turn off the device. Would make stealing an iPhone even less profitable.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. macigo macrumors regular

Hmm. Every day I think about not ever selling an Apple product on Craigslist. A knife really? I would run. They are not getting my phone.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, although it sounds like a cliche to say it, the best thing that happened to you there is that you walked out ok and only lost a physical belonging (not your life). Knives and robberies have bad habits of not play nice.

Anyways, that aside, with the whole "Find my iPhone" and "Activation Lock" feature, this should cease to happen. Good thing you had that going.

6. krravi macrumors 65816

Was just reading an article in Yahoo the other day about how the stolen phones end up with drug cartels in South America.

7. xmaseve macrumors regular

Glad to see that crime doesn't exist in places and countries that have taken away citizens right to carry...oh, wait.

GOD BLESS THE USA!! Knife, meet Glock.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

:rolleyes:

Really?

9. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

lol..you redneck

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

"You call that a knife?"

Pull out a bigger knife :D

j/k. You did the wise thing. I generally refrain from using my iPhone in questionable areas for that reason.

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Glad to hear you are safe as it seems you handled the situation as it should have been. Insurance will cover your loses and you will live to see another day. Wise decision on your part.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

Maybe the police should send out undercover officers with realistic looking fake phones, then when a criminal demands phone, officer gives it to him, then 10 seconds later it bursts like the dye packs they use in banks for stolen cash.

And of course other officers would then swoop in and grab the thieves. Then of course we could publicly hang them and charge admission to watch.

(sarcasm for those who can't recognize the obvious)

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then we get the proverbial "Mine's bigger than yours"

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

But seriously though, I'd keep an 870 around. Just to show those pesky home invaders it's not wise to bring a knife to a shotgun fight.

15. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

The OP did the right thing. Three of them plus a knife, just give the stupd phone to them.

Run away? Lol really?

Or become a gun-totin' NRA member?? Lol yeah great solution.

16. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Good job OP. It's just a phone, give it away and move on. Getting stabbed by three men hurts a lot more than receiving a brand new device through insurance.

17. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Don't say that. You never know what would you do in that situation, and you wouldn't know especially what the mugger would do.

He could just walk up to you and stab you and then take the phone, so don't say you would run. Nothing is certain.

To the OP: Glad you walked away safely, better to be alive and well than to go to the hospital or worse, dead just to try and save a phone.

18. g0odfr1end102 thread starter macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Yes, that's exactly what I thought during the mugging although it went very quick. But darn, it hurts to know such a cool gadget is going to be dismantled and probably sold in bits and pieces on the black market in different parts of Europe (they definitely won't be selling it as a whole as I have completely blocked it–I hope). It's a shame to realize that these really really great devices can get you in very sticky situations, even when being careful (and I can guarantee you I'm vigilant in the métro, on the streets etc).

I can't complain though, avoided the worst and am soon going to get a new one through the insurance (glad I decided to pay the 11euro/per month). The police officers did their best to help and my carrier Orange was very understanding of my situation. Overall, I'm kind of glad it went so smoothly.

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Next pull out your machete, and go like Crocodile Dundee, That's Not a Knife, THIS is a Knife! :D

20. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Didn't he end up dying by a Stingray, or was that the other guy?

21. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Steve Irwin.

22. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

Then you'll have no problem admitting the US has a much higher crime rate per capita than all nations with strict gun control. Also, if this were the US the guy would have been robbed at gun point, not at knife point. I'd choose the knife. But thanks for making all Americans look stupid.

23. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

But then you would have had the knife at your throat to tell them the password to unlock.

24. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

It just kills me that people of this kind are spewing their nonsense on the internet making all Americans look bad. The uneducated ones are the loudest and rudest.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

Glad you weren't hurt. Hopefully your phone is secured, such that the worse that can happen is the phone is used for parts and your digital life stays intact.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.