Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Season 3 Premier (19Apr17)- Ewan McGregor, Carrie Coon, and David Thewlis are excellent. Great start! :)

ewan-mcgregor-fargo-3x2.jpeg
...yes I did not finish Season 1, skipped Season 2, but now I'm back watching and was rewarded. :D

What?!? You have to go back and finish season 1 and watch season 2. They were great.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What?!? You have to go back and finish season 1 and watch season 2. They were great.

My best effort to explain it- Billy Bob, whom I normally like, turned me off. And Martin Freeman reminded me too much of William H. Macy's character in the movie. However, I liked the movie. I can't speak for Season 2, and may watch that eventually. :)

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
My best effort to explain it- Billy Bob... turned me off... :)

Agreed.

Billy Bob is the worst actor in the history of film and/or tv, second only to Kevin Costner.

Actors are liars in general. Good ones make you believe the lie.

Bad ones do not.

Those two fall into the latter category.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Agreed.

Billy Bob is the worst actor in the history of film and/or tv, second only to Kevin Costner.

Actors are liars in general. Good ones make you believe the lie.

Bad ones do not.

Those two fall into the latter category.

I've liked him other roles, but psycho did not work for me. ;)

Just watched episode 2, this is really good! :) They say the story is true. I wonder how many liberties they took?

Reactions: pachyderm

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

Just watched episode 2, this is really good! :) They say the story is true. I wonder how many liberties they took?
The story is not true. The original Fargo movie started with the same words about a true story and the other two seasons also have those words at the beginning of every episode.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/fargo.asp

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56de2c53e4b0ffe6f8ea78c4/amp

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

It's not true. have you seen the original film? they said that about that too. and they used that in season too as well. i'm sure they used it in season too. just a theatrical ploy/device. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The story is not true. The original Fargo movie started with the same words about a true story and the other two seasons also have those words at the beginning of every episode.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/fargo.asp

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_56de2c53e4b0ffe6f8ea78c4/amp

It's not true. have you seen the original film? they said that about that too. and they used that in season too as well. i'm sure they used it in season too. just a theatrical ploy/device. ;)

They all *could* be true. :p So why say that if it's not? The value of truth has taken a beating in this country... :(

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
They all *could* be true. :p So why say that if it's not? The value of truth has taken a beating in this country... :(

True. But the Coen brothers have said that Fargo wasn't a true story.

They were just using that as a device.

I'm sure you can find that interview online somewhere. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
True. But the Coen brothers have said that Fargo wasn't a true story.

They were just using that as a device.

I'm sure you can find that interview online somewhere. ;)
Then it should say This is a true story* or ;). It serves no good purpose imo, gives no gravity to the story, not when you find out, it's not the truth. And I'm don't think that actors (or story tellers) use lies to tell the truth applies in this case. :p

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Then it should say This is a true story* or ;). :p
not if they don't want it to.
[doublepost=1493468537][/doublepost]"Ethan Coen first explained why the pair added the “true story” disclaimer to the film, saying, “We wanted to make a movie just in the genre of a true story movie. You don’t have to have a true story to make a true story movie.”

Might be true based on a story that the Coens didn't know about...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
not if they don't want it to.
[doublepost=1493468537][/doublepost]"Ethan Coen first explained why the pair added the “true story” disclaimer to the film, saying, “We wanted to make a movie just in the genre of a true story movie. You don’t have to have a true story to make a true story movie.”

Might be true based on a story that the Coens didn't know about...

To clarify, I'm not upset, just expressing a philosophical position. :) I'm not familiar with the true story genre, and it appears no different than the fiction genre in it's presentation or story telling, and saying it's true misleads, and adds nothing but maybe a temporary can you believe this? feeling. At least, I've gotten it off my chest. Wait almost...

Of note the original Fargo movie was reasonable enough, it could have happened, but saying it's true when it's not, I disapprove. :D

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
To clarify, I'm not upset, just expressing a philosophical position. :) I'm not familiar with the true story genre, and it appears no different than the fiction genre in it's presentation or story telling, and saying it's true misleads, and adds nothing but maybe a temporary can you believe this? feeling. At least, I've gotten it off my chest. Wait almost...

Of note the original Fargo movie was reasonable enough, it could have happened, but saying it's true when it's not, I disapprove. :D
lol.

i agree. it was confusing back when it came out. my friends and i had this same argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S3-E3 Gloria visits L.A. looking for clues to her Step Father's death. Did anyone appreciate this episode which had nothing to do with the story? At least I don't think so. Yes, interesting characters, but...filler. :-/

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
S3-E3 Gloria visits L.A. looking for clues to her Step Father's death. Did anyone appreciate this episode which had nothing to do with the story? At least I don't think so. Yes, interesting characters, but...filler. :-/

Well, I thought it was a good side story and I liked how, for once, the good guy found a clue and followed up on it.....only to find out "it was just a story". Maybe it wasn't and something about what happened will tie in to a later episode but if doesn't, I don't mind that.
I did like the casting of LA Jerk Cop. I guess Charlie and Sweet Dee will be in later seasons.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well, I thought it was a good side story and I liked how, for once, the good guy found a clue and followed up on it.....only to find out "it was just a story". Maybe it wasn't and something about what happened will tie in to a later episode but if doesn't, I don't mind that.
I did like the casting of LA Jerk Cop. I guess Charlie and Sweet Dee will be in later seasons.
Well she did come home with a box that turns itself off.... :)

I liked the cop too. Or what... ;) The thing is this murder was a mistake, so I see no way that anything she discovered would help her investigation, unless there is something, totally coincidental that points here in the direction she needs to go, which I would not put past the writers. ;) I just think an episode like this means more to the story if there is a link, versus a wasted trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Well she did come home with a box that turns itself of.... :)

I liked the cop too. Or what... ;) The thing is this murder was a mistake, so I see no way that anything she discovered would help her investigation, unless there is something, totally coincidental that points here in the direction she needs to go, which I would not put past the writers. ;) I just think an episode like this means more to the story if there is a link, versus a wasted trip.
Part of the story is her trying to find out about her stepfather's past so in that regard, she just found out a lot about him.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Well she did come home with a box that turns itself off.... :)

I think there is going to be a link. I think the actress is going to shed some light on the finale and where the dead guy's stuff (inheritance) goes. Those folks are all named "Stussy". It's all gonna come together in the next three eps or so... that's a broad brush I'm painting with I know but you'll see... lol

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.